|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Cooldown||30 seconds (50 ticks)|
|The next attack you receive within 6 seconds will heal you instead of harm you. Heals 50% of the incoming damage and an additional 0.5% for every shield level. Certain large Boss attacks will have their damage prevented, but will not heal.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Resonance is a basic Defence ability that requires a shield and level 48 Defence. When activated, the next melee, magic, or ranged attack received by the player within 6 seconds will heal the player instead of damaging them. There are various attacks that are unaffected by Resonance. The Preparation ability can be used to reduce the cooldown of Resonance by 3 seconds for each attack received.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
When damage is converted to healing by this ability, the hit will still register, but it is reduced to 1. If the hit is meant to deal 1 damage by any means (including through the effects of Devotion), the player is not healed, the damage is still dealt, and Resonance is not consumed. The exception to this is Disruption Shield, which is still triggered when Devotion is active.
Resonance heals from the highest hit taken on any given tick while any other hits deal full damage. It does not prevent stuns, but any damage associated with the stunning attack is healed from.
The amount this ability heals depends on the tier of the shield used, with a healing percentage equal to:
- A tier 90 shield will heal 95% of incoming damage
- A tier 1 shield will heal 50.5%
- A tier 90 defender will heal as if it were a tier 45 shield: 72.5%
This ignores most damage modifiers, so the relative amount healed is actually higher due to defence/armour damage reduction and effects such as spirit shields being ignored. Prayers and ability-induced damage reduction (such as Reflect) are not ignored, and so will reduce Resonance's healing.
For example, a 2000 hit through 20% reduction and a spirit shield will be reduced to 1120, but Resonance would heal 87.5% (50% + 0.5*75) of the original 2000, resulting in a healing of 1750 points.
Resonance also ignores certain boss modifiers, such as Yakamaru's damage boosts. A 4000 hit from Yakamaru at maximum enrage will only heal 1000, as the x4 multiplier is also ignored. The 1 damage that passes through will be affected by the x4 multiplier, becoming 4 damage.
Interactions with damage[edit | edit source]
This section documents examples of how various types of damage interact with Resonance.
Against the following typeless damage, Resonance will heal from it as usual:
- Araxxor and Araxxi's poison
- Telos' typeless font absorption damage in the fourth phase (excluding the final hitsplat of a given font)
- Deflect damage from most sources (Mirrorback spider, deflect curses, cobweb shield)
- Solak's blight damage
Resonance will block damage but heal a "0" against the following typeless attacks, which are called soft typeless damage. Other defence abilities can reduce this kind of typeless damage if Resonance can block it.
- Nomad's autoattack and Soul Blast
- Vorago's Vitalis-spawning orb
- Helwyr's damage over time attack
- The Twin Furies' channelled bomb
- Telos' uppercut, prayer disabling jump, red shockwaves, So Much Power, weak anima bomb, tendrils, rockfall, and virus
- Nex: Angel of Death's instant kill pulse bomb, elements quadrant damage, and amalgamation spawn explosion
- Penance King's attacks and King spawns' explosion
- Lucien's "You dare attack a god?" attack
- Normal mode K'ril Tsutsaroth's prayer smash
- Solak's anima mines and spore bomb followup
- Damage taken from healing Solak's consciousness
- Astellarn's solar storm
- Verak Lith's ice, shock, and poison energy
Melee, magic, or ranged damage that Resonance, other defensive abilities, and most forms of damage reduction cannot affect include:
- Magic red bombs summoned by Gielinor in the Memory of Nomad
- Magic damage from Verak Lith's flame vortices
- Sliske's magic shadow hand attack
- Ambassador Jabari's magic attack
Before an update in 2019, the following examples belonged in the previous group, ignoring Resonance and most forms of damage reduction. Said update changed these attacks to behave as standard melee, magic, and ranged damage, allowing them to interact with forms of damage reduction like normal.
- Melee damage taken by being in the path of a charge from Tuz, Krar, or Cormes
- Nex: Angel of Death's ice prison melee bleed and magical smoke walls
- Vindicta and Gorvek's magical fire walls
- Black stone dragon's magic shadow bombs
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- Ability queuing no longer stops 'on-tick' heals with the Resonance ability.
- patch 4 July 2016 (Update):
- A 0 heal mark will now appear when blocking damage with Resonance without healing from it.
- patch 13 July 2015 (Update):
- Debilitate and Resonance will now correctly scale depending on shieldbow levels.