||20 November 2012 (Update)
||30 seconds (50 ticks)
|Use your shield to return attacks back at the attacker.
- Reduce damage taken by 50% (25% in PvP).
- Reflect the reduced damage back at the attacker.
- 9.6s duration.
|Infobox • Talk page
Reflect is a threshold Defence ability that requires 37 Defence and a shield.
Reflect lasts for 10 seconds regardless of the shield's level. All incoming auto-attacks and soft typeless mechanics will deal 50% less damage to the player. Should the monster not be immune to reflect damage, the other half of the damage that would have been inflicted is reflected back at the monster that caused that damage. This also includes damage that is healed off from with Resonance or blocked with any Devotion effect (the ability, perk and its enhanced variant). In PvP situations, the reflected damage is halved to 25%.
Reflect is very powerful against NPCs when used with a divine spirit shield, arcane spirit shield, or an elysian spirit shield because the damage reduction is calculated after Reflect takes place, effectively causing the player to reduce damage taken by 65% while the attacker takes 50% rebounded damage. The damage reduced is not 80% because damage reduction in RuneScape is calculated multiplicatively, not additively; therefore, 100% damage reduction or over is not possible by equipping multiple damage reducing gear and stacking multiple damage reducing abilities.
Some monsters are able to exhibit a temporary reflect-like state:
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- coldfix 12 April 2017 (Update):
- The Reflect icon once again displays a timer.
- patch 7 November 2016 (Update):
- Reflect will now reflect 25% of damage received back at the attacker in PvP combat.
- The information given on the Reflect ability tooltip has been improved.
- hotfix 4 June 2013 (Update):
- "Reflect" style damage now deals 0 damage against Ascension bosses.
- The cooldown of this ability was increased from 20 seconds to 30 seconds during the second combat beta. It was likely because with only a 20 second cooldown, non-shield builds stood a poor chance against shield builds even though 2h users have more weapon damage. For example, when Reflect was not active, a 2h user would be dealing more DPS than the shield user. However, when Reflect was active, the shield user would be dealing more DPS than the 2h user as the shield user could attack normally and the 2h user dealt as much damage as damage reflected back to them. This was true even if the 2h user chose not to attack. Thus, over every 20 seconds the shield user would be dealing much more damage overall. With Reflect having a 30 second cooldown however, the difference cancels out exactly over 30 seconds and neither side is obviously disadvantaged.
- Reflect used to reduce and return damage by 50% in PvP. This was reduced to 25% on 7 November 2016.