The red salamander is the second strongest salamander and can be caught at 59 Hunter. It requires level 60 Ranged to wield.
It uses tarromin tar as ammo, which can be made by using a clean tarromin with swamp tar at 39 Herblore. It can also be bought from other players or at the Grand Exchange. This weapon can serve as an inexpensive alternative to the dragon 2h crossbow, but tarromin tar can be difficult to buy from the Grand Exchange, and is consumed when used as a basic attack, much like bolt racks.
As with all salamanders, the red salamander will not appear under your gravestone if you die and choose not to keep it. This is because it is a live creature, and it will run away. Should this happen, you will need to buy or catch a new one.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- Salamanders now only require the appropriate Ranged level to equip them.
- patch 4 December 2012 (Update):
- Salamanders can now be sheathed.
- patch 17 January 2011 (Update):
- This weapon has had its wield and attack animations updated.
- patch 10 January 2011 (Update):
- Attacking with this weapon's magic attack no longer claims every hit is a max hit.
- patch 21 April 2009 (Update):
- A rendering issue has been fixed with this weapon when held by a player.
- Before 13 May 2013, this weapon also required 60 Attack and 60 Magic. This was because it was a multi-style weapon that could use melee and magic attacks before the launch of the Evolution of Combat, although the Attack and Magic requirements were not removed immediately after it became a ranged weapon with the update.