Recruit a Friend
The Recruit a Friend or Refer a Friend programme is a feature introduced on 18 August 2011. Players who participate in the programme invite a friend to join RuneScape, rewarding both the invitee and the friend with experience multipliers and a week of free membership (with some qualifications).
How it works[edit | edit source]
The invited player will receive a starter pack along with a bonus that allows them to get a 10% modifier for the first week of play time, this in addition to the 10% XP scroll that can be activated when the player so desires.
If this player subscribes to RuneScape within two weeks of being invited, the recruiter will gain a raf xp boost scroll, activating the scroll will grant 10% experience bonus for one week. The minimum subscription length is 1 month, which either has to be purchased with real money or the usage of at least 2 bonds. As of 11 December 2012, the following are also granted to the recruiter:
- A week of membership for each recruited friend (This will also work with 2 bonds).
- When a recruited friend earns XP, a 5% Bonus experience is applied to the recruiter, 10% if they are nearby each other (Any bonus experience gained while recruiter and recruit aren't on the same world will only be applied the next time recruiter and recruit are on the same world).
- A "teamwork" XP bonus every time both parties (includes multiple friends and one recruiter) use the same world and are nearby (This is the 10% mentioned above, instead of the ordinary 5%).
Both above bonuses only apply to one skill at a time, the one the recruited player is currently training.
Starter pack[edit | edit source]
The starter pack consists of a mystery cracker that can be pulled with any player, giving the new player:
- A hat - Either a Leather cowl, Wizard hat (blue) or Wizard hat (black)
- Clothing - Either a Leather body, Cape (random colour), or a Priest gown (top)
- A weapon - Either a Bronze sword, Bronze 2h sword, Bronze scimitar, Bronze longsword, Bronze warhammer, or Bronze battleaxe.
- 500 coins
Controversy[edit | edit source]
The announcement was met with overwhelming negative reception on the forums as players accused Jagex of real-world trading, as players can gain the bonus experience by buying membership for an alternate account rather than a friend. Complaints were similar to that of the Flagstaff of Festivities and the Members Loyalty Programme. Another much-used argument is that the programme will be massively abused by bot accounts.
The controversy that Jagex is breaking its own "real world trading" rule spread to a riot on members World 66 and also free-to-play World 73. As is the norm in past riots players spammed and chanted sayings such as, "We pay we say", "Ban the bots!", or "Welcome to BotScape" and generally did anything they could to add to the chaos. A popular way to add to the chaos was by setting up cannons and summoning large familiars such as titans, thus creating large amounts of lag on slower computers. Many players also planted flowers and put on overhead prayers such as Smite and Wrath to show their anger. There has also been massive spamming on the forums with over 50 pages of threads being locked, many players referring to a past quote by Mark Gerhard in their arguments against the programme. There are 1542 pages in the official thread, almost all of the posts are rants.
|“||One of our fundamental philosophies is that having fun is more important to us than making as much money as possible.||”|
|— Mod MMG The Future of RuneScape|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
In-game advert for Double XP Weekend in 2016.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- Using up bonus xp recently obtained from a Refer a Friend bonus will no longer notify you every time.
- ninja 5 September 2016 (Update):
- Various XP buffs, such as Refer-a-Friend bonuses, will now correctly stack their boosts.
- ninja 10 November 2014 (Update):
- Players can now purchase a starter pack from Wizard Finix on the top level of the Runespan.
- patch 22 April 2014 (Update):
- The Refer a Friend interfaces have been removed from around the Gielinor.