Recipe for Disaster
|Recipe for Disaster (#100)|
|Release date||15 March 2006 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||James B (framework), sub-quests developed by others|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Recipe for Disaster is the 100th quest released by Jagex and is a sequel to the first quest, Cook's Assistant. It is composed of ten subquests, ranging in difficulty from easy to very hard. It is intended to be a quest which nearly any member can start, but which only the most accomplished and willing players can complete.
Official description[edit | edit source]
The cook in Lumbridge has a surprisingly small number of ingredients to hand in his kitchen, possibly as a result of an endless stream of newcomers with light fingers, taking anything that isn't nailed down from his kitchen.
Luckily, in the past, a kind Cook's Assistant was willing to help him in his culinary duties, but a problem has now appeared that could spell... a Recipe For Disaster!
Almost all members may attempt to solve his tricky predicament, and be rewarded accordingly, but only the very elite of Questers will be able to put an end to his problem permanently!
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||cook in Lumbridge Castle.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Very, Very Long|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
Icefiend (only if Ice gloves are not already owned) |
Subquest 1[edit | edit source]
The cook is preparing for a party in Lumbridge. He tells you that a hundred years ago, a very important meeting was held in Lumbridge. His ancestor, Franizzard Van Lumbcook, cooked such an amazing banquet for the occasion that he was offered a job as head cook, along with all his descendants, for life. This big, important meeting is held in Lumbridge every 10 years and today is the 10th anniversary. As he cannot think of a brilliant dish himself, he intends to use his ancestor's recipe for the feast. However, he needs your help gathering the ingredients, again.
After completing Another Cook's Quest, you receive an invitation to the feast. Enter the doors to the dining room to observe the feast, and you will see members of the Secret Council of RuneScape seated at the table.
As the Duke introduces the rest of the secret council, he is interrupted by the Mysterious Old Man and is teleported to take care of it. Osman will then get taken away by Evil Bob. At this point, you enter the room. A short while later, the Culinaromancer crashes the party and starts to attack everyone at the dining table with magic spells.
Luckily, Aris, the fortuneteller from Varrock, enters the room and casts Tempus Cessit, which freezes everyone in time, except for you and her. She explains that the Culinaromancer was a cook in Lumbridge a hundred years ago and had threatened the secret council with death, only to be thwarted by the Duke's assistant, who managed to trap him in another dimension. This assistant was the cook's ancestor, and was made head cook for life.
The current head cook, whom you helped build the feast, apparently created a powerful food-magic, which released the Culinaromancer from his prison. Seeing him, Aris casts the aforementioned spell, so that you both can protect the council from the Culinaromancer's attacks. While she can easily seal the Culinaromancer in a heartbeat, due to the fact you caused the Culinaromancer to awaken she holds you responsible and sends you to save them as the magic is causing a temporal paradox that could destroy the known reality with the magic.
The Culinaromancer arrives.
Aris arrives too late.
Aris casts Tempus Cessit to freeze the room in time.
Subquests 2 through 9[edit | edit source]
To release each member of the council from the Culinaromancer's spell, you must feed each of them their favourite food. After you give each member their favourite dish, Aris teleports them away to safety and tells you how many more council members are left.
You can complete these subquests in any order and start as many of them at a time as you want. Each subquest opens up increased access to the Culinaromancer's Chest, which holds a variety of goods.
It is strongly recommended that you grow a pet kitten before you start the subquests if you do not already have an adult cat, as it will take two and a half hours for the kitten to grow. If you do this at the start, it should be fully grown and you can save the Evil Dave subquest for last.
|Freeing the Goblin Generals|
|Freeing the Mountain Dwarf|
|Freeing Evil Dave|
|Freeing the Lumbridge Sage|
|Freeing Pirate Pete|
|Freeing Skrach Uglogwee|
|Freeing Sir Amik Varze|
|Freeing King Awowogei|
Subquest 10[edit | edit source]
After you have freed all the council members, you will see a cutscene, where Aris restarts time by saying "Tempus procedit!" The Culinaromancer will then retreat through the portal. Aris then says that you too must go through the portal to finish him off.
|Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer|
Rewards[edit | edit source]
If you have fully completed all 10 subquests for "Recipe for Disaster", you will have received the following:
- 10 quest points
- 28,000 experience
- 1,000 experience
- 2,500 experience
- 1,000 experience
- 1,000 experience
- 1,000 experience
- 2,500 experience
- 1,500 experience
- 1,500 experience
- 4,000 experience
- 10,000 experience
- A 20,000 experience antique lamp for any skill above 50 (can be banked)
- Access to the following areas:
- Ability to dive for crabs
- Ability to own a crab
- Ability to cook crab meat
- Ability to catch Hell-Rats
- Ability to own a hellcat
- Ability to add coloured spices to stews of any sort
- Ability to use the boat trip to travel between Karamja and Feldip Hills
- Ape Atoll Teleport spell
- Full access to Culinaromancer's Chest
- 20 Treasure hunter keys for use in Treasure Hunter.
- 20 Hearts of Ice for use in Treasure Hunter.
- Music unlocked
- Chef Surprize (after completing Another Cook's Quest - after the dining room cutscene)
- Chickened Out (during Freeing Sir Amik Varze - the Evil Chicken's Lair)
- Davy Jones' Locker (during Freeing Pirate Pete - the Mogre Camp)
- Mastermindless (during Freeing the Lumbridge Sage - the quiz show)
- Too Many Cooks... (during Freeing the Goblin generals - the Goblin Village basement)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Recipe for Disaster ( 0) – Complete this Special quest.
- Desert achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Recipe for Disaster is not currently required for any quests or miniquests.
Development team[edit | edit source]
- Developer - Framework: James B
- Developer - Dining room cutscenes: Mod Ash
- Developer - Mountain Dwarf: Mod Maz
- Developer - Goblin Generals: Ian G
- Developer - Pirate Pete: Anthony W
- Developer - Lumbridge Sage: Tim C
- Developer - Evil Dave: John A
- Developer - Skrach Uglogwee: Mod Tytn
- Developer - Sir Amik Varze Greg V
- Developer - King Awowogei Mod Chihiro, Mod Liam, Dylan C
- Developer - New cat chats: Mark O
- QuestHelp: Rob M, Gillan M, Stephen R, Dave O
- Graphics: John S, Steve R, Damian C, Tom W, Paul B, Nick F, Joe R, Dan B, Matt M, James W
- QA: Martin I, Francis B
- Audio: Mod Ian
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 10 February 2020 (Update):
- The camera will no longer bob up and down when cancelling a trip into the water during "Recipe for disaster".
- patch 25 February 2019 (Update):
- Combat description has been updated to briefly describe the combat in its sub-quests.
- patch 24 March 2014 (Update):
Players can once again progress past Wizard Traiborn's quizzes in Recipe for Disaster.
- patch 22 May 2012 (Update):
- Completing the first section of Recipe for Disaster now awards two Squeal of Fortune spins.
- patch 20 March 2012 (Update):
- patch 21 February 2012 (Update):
- It is now possible to acquire rock cakes after completing Recipe for Disaster.
- patch 31 January 2012 (Update):
- Cutscenes in Recipe for Disaster no longer use fixed-rate chat windows.
- patch 23 August 2011 (Update):
- The monkey section of Recipe for Disaster now checks for the correct progress state of Monkey Madness in the quest journal.
- patch 2 September 2009 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with prayers being available for the final boss battle.
- patch 9 June 2009 (Update):
- Fixed an odd issue with familiars during Recipe for Disaster.
- You'll find it's now easier to reclaim your diving gear during Recipe for Disaster.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the first cutscene, Duke Horacio and Osman appear to have a random event featuring the Mysterious Old Man. After Duke Horacio is abducted, the Dwarf Guard says to Osman "something has to be done about that old man". Furthermore, once Osman has also been abducted, the Dwarf comments on the rarity of witnessing two random events in a matter of seconds.
- A visual glitch has appeared on Osman of Al Kharid, his appearance is stretched and glitched.
- When informed by Aris that the universe could be destroyed, your player exclaims, Not the whole universe! That's where I keep my stuff! This is a reference to the animated comedy series Futurama. The original quote came from the cartoon series "The Tick". Interviewer: Well, can you... blow up the world? Tick: Egad. I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff.
- The quest point requirement used to be only 175. It was increased to 176 after the Unstable Foundations tutorial update, which gave an extra quest point upon completion.
- The cook, after telling you about defeating the Culinaromancer, says, "Did you ever know that you're my hero?" This is a reference to Bette Midler's "Wind beneath my Wings".
- When you attempt to release Pirate Pete, Aris exclaims "Wait a moment, my gypsy-sense is tingling..." This is a reference to Spiderman.
- When asking the Lumbridge Cook for help on a section of the quest you didn't start yet, Aris will stop you, saying that it will cause a time paradox if you don't talk to her about it first.
- The first subquest is called 'Another Cook's Quest' on the "Quest-Complete Scroll", but is called 'Starting Out' in the Adventurer's Log.
- After you have freed the last member of the council, Aris releases her spell, allowing the Culinaromancer to escape, but not before saying "But you cannot defeat me! I'LL BE BACK!" This is a reference to The Terminator.