Rats are small animals which can be found in numerous locations, mostly in cities, sewers and dungeons. They are best found outside and on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US] of Lumbridge Castle. Their tails are most commonly used for the completion of the Witch's Potion miniquest, and they are one of the weakest creatures in RuneScape. The only rats that drop bones are those in the Stronghold of Security. They are good for training on for new players as they have low life points and defence and respawn in only a few seconds, but they can be hard to click as they're small and move very fast.
A rat in its idle animation.
Players who have a cat or a kitten can tell it to chase vermin, in which case it will try to attack any rat in range. If your cat catches at least 100 rats you can go to Gertrude to get a cat training medal (no special bonuses). Also, if you have a rat pole, a rat will be added to it each time a rat is caught by your cat.
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 17 June 2013 (Update):
- Rats behind Lumbridge Castle now drop items as intended.
- patch 9 November 2010 (Update):
- Rats’ animations have been tweaked to not have their wounds open up massively.
- patch 17 November 2009 (Update):
- Corrected several animations for rats and mice, especially in Rat Catchers.
The class pet from the now-discontinued Surprise Exam
- The examine text is based on the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, who goes into detail describing the ways dwarves eat rats.
- There is a HiScores for rat kills, but only people who completed Sameul LeBaux's 300 task miniquest (3,000 rat kills) are able to get ranked. 5,000 is the minimum to be ranked.