Protect Item is a prayer in both the standard prayer list and the Ancient Curses. When it is active, the user will keep one extra item if they die. This means that if the player is skulled, they will still keep one item, and if they are not skulled, they will keep four items.
Protect Item can be used in the Wilderness. It is common to see players Player-killing with only one item, typically one providing its own ammo/runes or a two-handed sword to avoid any loss. It can be used to avoid the effect of skulling and keep their weapon. Members who depend upon one-iteming are advised to bring a prayer potion as player killers often use methods like ancient mace or Soul Split to drain their victims' prayer points before they kill them.
Protect Item also has useful application in any PvM situation where there is a significant risk of death, since protected items cost nothing to reclaim from Death should the player die. Thus, it can be very beneficial to keep this prayer active when players are carrying many items with high value into dangerous combat, as the amount of coins that can be saved from reclaim costs usually warrants the minimal prayer drain required to keep the prayer active.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 12 April 2011 (Update):
- This curse will no longer cause a player to jump around if seated.
- Protect Item is unique in that it is the only prayer that appears on both the standard prayer list and the Ancient Curses list. The two versions are not completely identical, however, as they require different levels, and the Ancient Curses icon has two glowing rings around it and appears smaller.
- It is the slowest prayer-draining Ancient Curse. Among standard prayers, this is shared with all tier 1 single-stat boosting prayers and Rapid Restore.
- Protect Item is one of several curses that do not have a verbal incantation in the ancient hymnal.