|Release||10 October 2014 (Update)|
|Destroy||Are you sure you want to destroy your Treasure Hunter prize? You cannot reclaim it!|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|A stackable item that acts like a hunting bird snare, box trap, and marasamaw plant. It has a higher capture rate and doesn't require smoking or baiting.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Protean traps can be won from Treasure Hunter. The traps can be used as a stackable substitute for bird snares, box traps. The traps do not function as tortle traps and do not work with Hunter urns. They offer 10% higher capture rate as well as increased Hunter experience. Baiting and smoking these traps is unnecessary.
Using the trap gives a 25% experience boost with successful catches and gives 50% of the normal catching experience for failed catches. This stacks with bonus experience and other modifiers, along with the enhanced yaktwee stick providing its usual 2% experience boost. Use of the trap adds a 10% chance of catching prey, and it stays up for 50% longer.
Protean traps have an auto-deploy option, which causes the player to automatically deploy the maximum number of traps possible at their Hunter level. Used traps are automatically checked and redeployed until 60 traps have been deployed. Moving or running out of traps also stops the auto-deploying.
Protean traps, as with all protean items, can be converted at a 3:2 ratio into other protean items.
These traps will not catch multiple skillchompas, even if the player has the required Agility level to guarantee multiple catches.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Large protean pack||N/A||300||Always||N/A|
|Medium protean pack||N/A||150||Always||N/A|
|Small protean pack||N/A||75||Always||N/A|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 19 June 2017 (Update):
- Placing a Divine location no longer blocks auto-deploying protean traps.
- patch 29 February 2016 (Update):
- Protean traps can no longer be reclaimed after using them to snare birds.
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- Protean traps have been reverted to give an extra 25% XP instead of an extra 5%.
30 November 2015 (
- An auto-deploy option is added to protean traps.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When deployed on the ground, its examine text becomes "Waiting quietly to catch something and fly away. Shhh..."
- Any of the various hunter urns do not fill when hunting with protean traps.