|Release||24 April 2015 (Update)|
|Destroy||Are you sure you want to destroy your Treasure Hunter prize? You cannot reclaim it!|
|Backpack||Craft, Light, Convert, Destroy|
|On ground||Take, Light, Examine|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|This is a stackable log that can be used for Firemaking and/or Fletching XP based on your level in the skill(s). Alternatively, convert them into protean planks at a sawmill.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Protean logs are items that can be used to gain experience in Firemaking and/or Fletching. Right clicking them and choosing "light" will grant Firemaking experience and when choosing the "Craft" option on the logs, an interface will appear asking if you'd like to gain just Fletching experience or gain both Fletching and Firemaking experience. They can also be converted to protean planks at a cost of 5 coins per plank by speaking to a Sawmill operator or by using a portable sawmill. As protean items are stackable, a maximum of 500 logs can be converted each time. Using these logs on a bonfire will provide a boost to a player's maximum health for 66 minutes. Protean logs burn for 6 minutes when lit.
Assuming a players firemaking and fletching levels are equal, a fixed number of logs will give the same total firemaking and fletching xp if the logs are fletched and burned (at the same time) or if half are fletched and half are burned. Note that as Portable braziers and portable fletchers give additional xp and occasionally save logs the most efficient use is to use them for a single skill on the matching portable.
Each protean log requires eight ticks (4.8s) to fletch or burn.
Without any boosts, approximately 750 protean logs can be burnt per hour.
Protean logs are not usable in the All Fired Up minigame.
Protean logs, as with all protean items, can be converted at a 3:2 ratio into other protean items.
Experience[edit | edit source]
Firemaking[edit | edit source]
|Fletch and Burn||Fletch and Burn, F2P||Per bonfire||Per bonfire, F2P||Per log added to bonfire||Per log added to bonfire, F2P||Per log added to bonfire (5+ players / Portable brazier)||Per log added to bonfire (5+ players / Portable brazier), F2P|
|55-59||97||390 (@58, on brazier)|
|71||474 (@ yeti village bonfire)|
|73-89||265.8||265.8||531.6||531.6||542.5||542.5||621 (@75,76 & 77, on brazier)||564 (@75, on brazier)|
|90-99||380||265.8||760||531.5||787||542.5||819 (902 @ Brazier)||564|
Fletching[edit | edit source]
|Level||Fletch and burn||Fletching|
|XP per log||XP per hour[T 1]||XP per log||XP per hour[T 1]|
- ^ Assumes a rate of 750 logs fletched per hour
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Double Dragon Chests||N/A||10||630000/64393560|
|Double Dragon Chests||N/A||1,000||12600/64393560|
|Double Dragon Chests||N/A||150||157500/64393560|
|Double Dragon Chests||N/A||300||44100/64393560|
|Double Dragon Chests||N/A||75||315000/64393560|
|Huge protean pack||N/A||1,000||Always|
|Large protean pack||N/A||300||Always|
|Loot Rooms Regular and multiplier chests||N/A||10||630000/64393560|
|Loot Rooms Regular and multiplier chests||N/A||100||157500/64393560|
|Loot Rooms Regular and multiplier chests||N/A||200||44100/64393560|
|Loot Rooms Regular and multiplier chests||N/A||50||315000/64393560|
|Loot Rooms Regular and multiplier chests||N/A||750||12600/64393560|
|Medium protean pack||N/A||150||Always|
|Small protean pack||N/A||75||Always|
|Smouldering vs Supernova||N/A||10||290000/32200000|
|Smouldering vs Supernova||N/A||1,000||5800/32200000|
|Smouldering vs Supernova||N/A||150||72500/32200000|
|Smouldering vs Supernova||N/A||300||20300/32200000|
|Smouldering vs Supernova||N/A||75||145000/32200000|
|Time Crash With multiplier modifiers||N/A||10||500000/51198000|
|Time Crash With Loot Chests! modifier||N/A||10||500000/57316000|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 3 May 2022 (Update):
- Fixed an issue causing the Firebox to use more protean logs than intended during the Swan Song quest.
- patch 10 August 2020 (Update):
- The 'Fletch and burn' option for protean logs now has updated XP gains in free-to-play worlds.
- patch 3 June 2019 (Update):
- Players can now use protean logs on the odd old mans fire to aid polishing bones.
- patch 28 August 2018 (Update):
- Fire spirits that spawn whilst using protean logs will now grant rewards based on your firemaking level.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Fletch logs and Fletch & burn logs appeared as items in the Grand Exchange about two weeks before Protean logs were introduced to the game. While they appear in the skilling interface, they do not appear in-game. Instead, they are shown to distinguish which type of experience the player wishes to gain from the logs.
- After burning 60 protean logs on a bonfire a message will pop up stating that "Your arms grew tired of throwing protean logs onto the fire, but you're now ready to go again."