The primal maul is a tier 11 maul that is available while Dungeoneering. It's the strongest weapon in game, tied with Primal spear and Primal 2h sword. The primal maul can only be obtained by getting it as a drop from Rammernaut. It is the only primal weapon with a Strength level requirement, requiring a Strength level of 99 to wield, and an unofficial requirement of 35 Dungeoneering to encounter the Rammernaut. This is a frequently bound weapon due to its high damage and accuracy, the relatively low Dungeoneering requirements, and its ability to quickly kill monsters weak to crush, such as mysterious shades. It is highly useful to have someone with a maul bound on a team, because they would be able to quickly kill shades in a monolith room.
Ultimately, whether the player chooses this weapon or its stabbing or slashing cousins, the Primal spear or the Primal 2h sword, depends on which monster weakness they think they will encounter more.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 22 September 2014 (Update):
- Some errors in calculating damage values have been fixed with two-handed weapons.
- patch 4 March 2013 (Update):
- The Attack Skill Advance Guide now clarifies that the requirements for Daemonheim weapons don't apply to mauls.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat, it was the single strongest weapon in the game; however, the primal 2h sword and primal spear were preferred as they were nearly as strong but more versatile, as the former could use both slash and crush, while the latter could stab, slash, or crush, although the primal maul require a much lower Dungeoneering level to obtain.