The Price Checker (also spelled price-checker) interface was introduced on 25 February 2009 to allow players to check the prices of items. This feature was one of the player-requested features added in 2009, due to an overwhelming amount of "Price Check" spamming in-game, which was extremely annoying to the other players; see History for more information on this.
The interface is located within the Money pouch interface, upon performing a right click, and then left clicking Price checker, or simply left-clicking the money pouch icon. The price checker consists of small window in which items from the inventory can be added or removed, while actively displaying the total and individual current Grand Exchange market price or high alchemy price of each item(s). Switching between the Grand Exchange or high alchemy prices can be toggled by the icon at the bottom-left of the window. The prices of up to 28 different items can be checked in this interface. If a player clicks the price checker while having another interface open, a text appears saying: "Please finish what you're doing before opening the price checker."
If the value of items displayed in the Price Checker window exceeds a certain value (2^31-1) then all that will be displayed is '----'. This is due to the fact that RuneScape uses a 32-bit integer to display the value. Attempting to add untradeable items to the price checker will prompt the message "That item isn't tradeable.".
Players can also utilise the price checker to lookup the price of any item available on the Grand Exchange, by clicking on the flashing yellow box at the bottom-left corner of the interface.
History[edit | edit source]
Before the Price Checker was introduced, players used an informal way of checking prices, typically referred to as "price check". To initiate a "price check", a player trades another player to see the Grand Exchange market price of their items; this method was used to ascertain the current worth of items in a convenient way, rather than looking each up, individually, via the Grand Exchange.
To start a price check, most players would repeatedly spam "Pc", commonly at a bank or the Grand Exchange, but players would also spam it at other places and wait for someone to trade with the player. When offered a trade, the player will put their items into the trade window; by doing this, the player may check the market value of items at the bottom of the trade window. After this price checking method is complete, the trade is declined, often annoying players, and therefore, became a common topic on the Official RuneScape forums.
With the addition of the Money pouch on 6 December 2011, there is a right-click option to bring up the Price Checker on the Money pouch, giving you two ways to access the Price Checker. Then, later on 16 January 2012, in a hidden update, the original location of the Price Checker, in the Worn equipment tab, was removed.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 4 December 2017 (Update):
- There is now a search option in the price checker interface to lookup the price of any item available on the Grand Exchange.
- ninja 14 August 2017 (Update):
- Free players may now use the price checker to check prices of members items.
- patch 13 June 2016 (Update):
- The price checker no longer displays incorrect values when the value of a stack of items goes above 2 billion coins.
- ninja 16 March 2015 (Update):
- Non-Ironman players can now choose to toggle between viewing Grand Exchange prices and High Alchemy prices in the Price Checker.
- ninja 5 January 2015 (Update):
- The Price Checker interface is now the left-click option on the coin pouch.
- patch 8 December 2014 (Update):
- The price checker will now display the price of multiple items correctly in Ironman Mode.
- ninja 17 December 2013 (Update):
- The Price Checker interface now uses the new interface style template.
- patch 25 September 2013 (Update):
- The price checker can now be closed with the main window's [X] button.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- The interfaces for the photo booth, Explorer's ring alchemy, price checker, emotes, trading, and the Dungeoneering party, floor and complexity settings have all been updated.