Praetorians, or the 'Praetorian Guard', are powerful warrior mages of the Zarosian Secret Police. As members of the Secret Police, the Praetorian Guard follow the orders of the Praetor, Trindine, and the Praefectus Praetorio, Sliske, who is also referred to as the 'Praetorian Prefect'.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
The Praetorian Guard wear heavy and well-armoured robes, unlike the Wizards of present day (such as those found at Wizards' Tower), this suggests that their work was extremely dangerous. Additionally, the Praetorians used their robes for religious and ceremonial purposes. The religious usage of their equipment likely extends to include their staff, due to small censer built into its design. As members of the Secret Police, Praetorians also wear a mask to conceal their identity and protect their anonymity. Proficient Archaeologists who have excavated such equipment at the Kharid-et Dig Site have been able to restore these artefacts via materials such as: ancient vis, samite silk, Zarosian insignias, and death runes. Whereas the Praetorian staff was repaired via the same materials aside from samite silk, which was replaced with imperial steel. However, these are only Archaeological restorations, rather than creating the equipment from scratch. It is possible, or even likely, that other rare materials and expertise are required to create this equipment in its entirety.
Inconceivably powerful and rare artefacts excavated from the Praetorium of Kharid-et have been able to upgrade the existing Praetorian staff into an Inquisitor staff. These valuable artefacts were discovered in the form of a staff censer, rod, and ornament. A valuable Inquisitor staff piece may also be obtained by completing Soran's final collection for the first time (though the chosen piece is random). Soran then explains that the Inquisition was an off-shoot of the Praetorian Guard which travelled the world 'confiscating' powerful magical items, punishing those who were silly enough to stand against them with their 'step above' weapons. 
Kharid-Et[edit | edit source]
Custodian Stepan Jovkai, a vampire, noticed that the newly arrived Praetorians were carrying phylacteries, which were colloquially referred to as 'diabolus'. Jovkai believed the Praetorians were carrying these as they were members to the Cult of Orcus. As a vampire, Jovkai had an enhanced sense of perception, which allowed him to sense what was contained within the diabolī. This in mind, Jovkai believed that Pater Dis (Lucius Castillius), the Pater of the Cult of Orcus, would be able to assist him in trapping Xil'Gar Trog's soul. 
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Praetorian robes, "Kharid-et", RuneScape. "warrior mages of the Zarosian Secret Police."
- ^ Sliske, "Dishonour Among Thieves", RuneScape. "Player:'What is a Praetorian Prefect?' Sliske:'Praefectus Praetorio, technically. It was my title in Senntisten under Zaros's reign. My talents earned me the leadership of the secret police."
- ^ Praetorian hood, "Kharid-et", RuneScape. "The hood of a set of praetorian robes. It's very heavy and well armoured, which is unusual for most modern magic users."
- ^ Praetorian robes, "Kharid-et", RuneScape. "It suggests their work was dangerous."
- ^ Praetorian robes, "Kharid-et", RuneScape. "While doubling up as religious robing, this gear's primary uses was as heavy protection for praetorians - warrior mages of the Zarosian Secret Police. It suggests their work was dangerous."
- ^ Praetorian staff, "Kharid-et", RuneScape. "The standard praetorian staff appears to include a small censer, though for what reason is currently not known."
- ^ Praetorian hood, "Kharid-et", RuneScape. "The hood of a set of praetorian robes. It's very heavy and well armoured, which is unusual for most modern magic users. They include a covering for the face, presumably for the sake of anonymity."
- ^ Soran, Emissary of Zaros, "Zarosian_IV", RuneScape. "And for my final collection, I have for you a piece of an inquisitor's staff... The inquisition was an offshoot of the empire's praetorian guard. It travelled the world seeking out powerful magical items to, ah, confiscate."
- ^ Commander's log page 2, "Kharid-et", RuneScape. "Today marked the surprise arrival of the Pontifex Maximus, accompanied by the Praetor (the friendly one, praise be to Zaros, not that sadistic clown) and their personal guard. Normally, such visits are communicated ahead of time. At first, I thought it but a formality ahead of Lord Zaros's visit, but...and though I have had hours to try to absorb this news, I still struggle to write these words... Zaros is defeated."
- ^ Custodian's log page 3, "Kharid-et", RuneScape. "Pater Dis... That is, to say, Father Lucius... I more than suspect he might have some idea of how to handle this situation. He forgets how perceptive us vampyres can be. I've seen his subtle tells and I've seen the small phylacteries some of the recently arrived praetorians are carrying - the thing they refer to as 'diabolus' - and I have sensed what they contain... Not that I'll let on any of this, of course, only that I require his assistance to incarcerate a demon soul. Cultists are dangerous people to deal with at the best of times, but those wishing to keep that knowledge secret are doubly so. -Custodian Stepan Jovkai"
Second Age Zarosian leaders
|Secret police force|