Portable skilling stations
Portable skilling stations, often simply called portables, are tradeable rewards from Treasure Hunter (and related promotions). They can be used to set up temporary skilling hotspots. The hotspots are both more convenient - being able to be placed much closer to a bank than normal skilling hotspots are - and provide benefits to the associated skill. Wearing a Brooch of the Gods makes these effects twice as likely to trigger.
Once placed, a portable skilling station can be used by any other player freely. They last 5 minutes once placed, but additional stations of the same type can be used (by any player, not just the original placer) to extend the duration by 5 minutes each, up to one hour. Ironmen cannot interact with any portable skilling stations.
Treasure Hunter offers portable skilling stations directly, and portable skilling packs which contain from 6 to 24 stations (depending on the size of the pack). Portable skilling stations can often be found at the Grand Exchange, the Lumbridge Market and the Shantay Pass, and in Burthorpe and Prifddinas.
Portable skilling stations offer direct access to Make-X methods via a left-click option (e.g. 'Cook', 'Add-log', etc.), which is sometimes more convenient to use than a normal skilling location.
If the skilling action can be triggered from the inventory - e.g. mixing potions, fletching logs - the location only has to be interacted with once to obtain the bonuses for several minutes if the player does not move away from the portable station. This allows some actions to be done faster or more conveniently than clicking the portable, usually via the action bar, while still getting the benefits. If a player interacts with a portable of a different type, they will gain the benefits of the second portable and lose the benefits of the first portable until it is interacted with again.
|Portable sawmill||None - acts as Sawmill||2,421|
|Luminite injector||Smithing (Artisans' Workshop)||3,174|
Locations[edit | edit source]
|* indicates a server might be busy|
Locations courtesy of Portables FC discord server
Details[edit | edit source]
- Always acts as if 5 or more players are using it
- Provides an additional 10% base experience boost
- 10% chance to not consume the log while still providing the full experience
- Provides the life points boost available from a normal bonfire for 66 minutes, regardless of the log used
Portable crafters give the following benefits when training Crafting:
- 10% extra experience on most Crafting training
- 10% chance to save hides or soft clay (can also occur with wasteless crafting; saved resources sent to the bank)
- 5% chance to save a gem when cutting it (except onyx and hydrix; saved resources sent to the bank)
Almost any Crafting action can be done using the portable crafter (either by using the left-click 'Craft' option, or using the material on the crafter) to get the 10% experience boost, including glassblowing (normal, robust, and crystal glass) and making battlestaves. Jewellery cannot be made on a portable crafter, nor can spinning wheel or loom products.
Portable crafters can also tan any hides, at the same price as a standard tanner. Combined with bank presets, good placement, and plenty of up-front money, this results in some fairly high-value money making methods.
Portable fletchers grant these benefits when training Fletching using it:
- 10% extra experience on most Fletching training
- 10% chance to save logs when fletching unstrung bows or crossbow stocks up to elder (including protean logs in fletching-only mode)
- 10% chance to save arrowheads and headless arrows when making arrows (including broad arrows)
- 10% chance to save unfinished bolts and feathers when making bolts (including ascension bolts)
- 10% chance to string two items at once when stringing bows or crossbows
All saved resources are sent to the bank.
Portable ranges grant the following benefits when used for Cooking:
- 21% extra Cooking experience
- Acts as a range
- 5% chance to create an extra piece of food (can also occur with the modified sous chef's toque; extra items sent to the bank)
Portable wells grant the following benefits:
- Provides infinite vials of water (empty vials not required)
- 10% extra Herblore experience when mixing any type of potion (including unfinished and combination potions)
- 5% chance to make an extra potion (can also occur with the modified botanist's mask; does not duplicate combination potions; additional items are sent to the bank)
Portable workbenches grant the following benefits:
- Acts as a workbench when deployed
- Flatpacked items created on it give 10% more experience than at a regular workbench
- Offers an additional chance to save a plank
Related[edit | edit source]
- Portable deposit box
Portable deposit boxes are limited-time rewards available from promotions such as Balthazar's Big Raffle. When used, they place a temporary bank deposit box at the location for an hour, with the option of limiting it to only the placer using it, or allowing everyone to use it. They are commonly used at shops with a lot of stock of desired items, or as a more expensive but faster way to train Summoning at the Taverley obelisk.
- Deployable herb burner
Deployable herb burners were introduced as a reward from the 2015 Halloween event (and returned in the 2016 Halloween event), and are also available as a rare drop from ghosts. The burner acts like a portable skilling station, but has infinite uses (but cannot be extended). It is used to destroy clean herbs, granting 10 times the Herblore experience gained by cleaning that herb. Unlike portable skilling stations, the herb burner is both obtainable and usable by ironmen.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 1 September 2020 (Update):
- Resolved some issues where the effect of portable skilling stations was not being triggered by the Brooch of the Gods.
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- Portables that save resources will now put them back into the inventory if there is space, otherwise they will put them in the bank as they currently do.
- patch 13 March 2017 (Update):
- Added a configure option to portable braziers, portable crafters and portable fletchers.
- Removed the "Check duration" option on portable skilling locations, moving the information to the examine option.
- patch 17 October 2016 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to place combat dummies on top of portable skilling locations.
- ninja 6 June 2016 (Update):
- Checking the duration of a portable skill station will no longer interrupt skilling actions.
- patch 14 March 2016 (Update):
- Fixed a spelling error when extending the duration of a portable skilling station.
- Reworked the UI when extending the duration of a portable skilling station to be more in-line with the current UI style.
- patch 3 August 2015 (Update):
- A limit has been added between how close players can place portable skilling stations of the same type.
- Portable skilling locations can no longer be placed on top of clan vexillums.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to the Mining and Smithing rework on 7 January 2019, portable forges were used for training Smithing. They were replaced by luminite injectors.
|Portable skilling packs|