|Release||1 May 2014 (Update)|
|Removal||7 January 2019 (Update)|
|Destroy||Are you sure you wish to destroy your Treasure Hunter prize? You can't reclaim it!|
|On death||Always kept|
|A portable forge and anvil, for your on-the-go smithing needs.|
|FAQ • doc|
Portable forge was an item won on Treasure Hunter that acted as both an anvil and furnace when deployed, but not as a barbarian anvil. Using the forge provided 10% additional experience to most smithing actions (did not provide extra experience when smelting corrupted ore). This boost also worked for levelling up the Augmented crystal hammer and Hammer-tron. The furnace provided a 5% chance of providing an extra bar (including bane ore), while the anvil had a chance of saving one bar at a rate of 10% per bar used (this includes protean bars). Any extra bars that were smelted were deposited in the bank, and any bars that were saved while smithing remained in the inventory. When this happened, the following showed up in the chatbox:
You managed to make an extra bar from your ore in this exceptional furnace! It has been sent directly to your bank. or The portable anvil saved your bar!
It could be placed anywhere that you could light a fire and was both visible to and usable by all other players. It could not be placed in a Player-owned house. It could not be placed in an ongoing fight of Vorago, regardless of being able to light a fire there. It vanished after placed for 5 minutes; though more could be added to the already deployed forge which added more time with a maximum of 60 minutes. Although the player could still use the forge after it disappeared if you have clicked on it, they would no longer receive any of the benefits of the forge. When the forge disappeared while Smithing the player would be stopped unless smelting corrupted ore. It is unclear if this was intended behaviour or an oversight.
Right-click configure allowed players to choose smelting or smithing as the left-click option of portable forges.
You could use another player's portable forge and receive the same benefits. A popular place to do this was in world 2 at the bank in Burthorpe or at the Combat Academy in Lumbridge for members. This is particularly useful for training, as players like to use pulse cores at this location, giving a 2% bonus to any experience earned for 10 minutes for all players nearby. This could stack up to 10% and will combine with the forge's bonus experience rate of 10%. A popular free-to-play portable forge location is world 3 at the Combat Academy, next to the bank chest.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- Players who still have Portable Forges will now find that they can be converted into portable skilling packs when used.
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- Portable forges have been replaced with luminite injectors, which can be used at the artisan's workshop to give a group buff. Your existing portable forges have been turned back into portable packs, so you can choose to gain the new luminite injectors if you want them, or instead choose a different portable.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Portable forges were replaced with Luminite injectors along with the Mining and Smithing rework.
- It was possible for wasteless smithing to activate together with the forge's bar saving ability.
- On 15 June 2015, a bug was introduced that allowed players to use the portable forges in order to block players, preventing them from moving. This has since been fixed.
- On 13 March 2017, the "Check duration" option was removed and the remaining time can now be checked by examining the item.