Path through Poison Waste to get to Lady Hefin's tent.
The Poison Waste is a large, marshy area of Tirannwn, south of Isafdar. It is located on the western coast of Gielinor. Needless to say, the name adequately describes the deadly, toxic nature of the sludge permeating this area. The sludge slowly makes its way up, killing all who touch it. A mass of corpses can be found throughout the northern coast, having failed to escape from the toxic sludge.
As part of Tirannwn, accessing the Poison Waste requires completion of the Underground Pass quest.
- The Tirannwn lodestone is located directly north of the Poison Waste.
- The Tirannwn quiver 3 and its upgrade can teleport the player to the Tirannwn mushroom patch, which is located nearby.
- Fairy ring code DLR will transport the player to a small isolated island in the Poison Waste.
- With partial completion of Plague's End, the player can hop along the islands of the Poison Waste. From Lletya, go south of the town (past the trees that open up at the north-west of the town) to end up at the north-east part of the Poison Waste, and hop along the islands. This is the only way to reach the ancient chest locations of a tetracompass (powered) near Lady Hefin's tent at the west side of the Poison Waste or on the island west of the fairy ring.
It is revealed in The Path of Glouphrie that the poison waste originates from Arposandra, who made poisonous chemicals with their experiments and pumped the waste to the surface. Once the city of Prifddinas is regrown after Plague's End, this poison is later revealed to be responsible for corrupting fragments of Seren (the largest being the Corrupted Seren Stone in the Hefin Cathedral).
The area's only significant uses to date are the collection of sulphur on its mucky shores, the location where coal-tar can be collected from the sludge itself and the incandescent wisp colony to the south. The sulphur is used during the Regicide quest, and the coal-tar is used in both Regicide and Mourning's End Part I. Players also visit the waste in Plague's End, where the player navigates the sludge-filled swamp in order to find Lady Hefin, one of the eight elders of Prifddinas.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 21 January 2014 (Update):
- Blocking has been removed from the landscape near the Poison Waste.
- patch 10 January 2011 (Update):
- Bubbling sulphur in this area has been updated to use new particle effects.
- The fact that the sludge consists of coal-tar suggests that coal is used in the process of modifying Anima Mundi, as is occurring in Arposandra. Then, somewhere in the process, the coal is converted into the waste product of coal-tar and is pumped to the surface.