A plain mining urn can be created at 32 Crafting, and is used with the Mining skill to help with gaining experience. The urn is filled when the player has earned 1,625 Mining xp with the urn in inventory. Once the plain mining urn is full, it can be teleported to Ernie for 325 Mining experience. An Earth rune needs to be attached to it in order to activate and use it.
Mining a shooting star does not fill the urn. Neither does mining in the living rock cavern; however, a decorated mining urn will work. If mining multiple ores at once, using either Varrock armour or the reward effect of a shooting star, the urn only fills with xp from the first ore. The others do not count. Additionally, the plain mining urn cannot be used at a mining plot inside the Clan Citadel or on divine tear rocks in the Battle of Lumbridge.
When a higher level plain mining urn is present in a player's inventory, a normal plain mining urn will take priority in filling, meaning that any level 50 or lower ore that is mined will fill the normal urn rather than the higher levelled urn. However, any ore requiring higher than 50 mining will fill the higher tiered urn. This lower tier priority also applies to cracked, fragile, and strong mining urns.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 4 March 2019 (Update):
- Renamed to Plain Urns to prevent some confusion with Daily Challenges. Was previously "Mining urn".
- patch 24 July 2017 (Update):
- Mining Urns are now filled at the correct rate when using Crystallise.
- patch 31 July 2017 (Update):
- Mining urns now work with Crablets and Seren stones.
- patch 31 August 2011 (Update):
- The teleport sound now plays after the correct duration.
- If the urn is exactly 50% full, checking its level will result in the message: "The [Type of Urn] is half full, or is it half empty?"
- If you have two urns in your inventory, one almost full, and one empty, and you fill the first to exactly 100%, the second urn will "start", but the level will display as 0%.