Pickaxes (often abbreviated as picks) are used to mine any type of ore in Gielinor. Pickaxes can be held in the inventory, stored in the tool belt, or wielded (provided the player's Attack level is high enough). Storing in the tool belt or wielding the pickaxe provides an extra inventory space, allowing one extra ore to be held. The pickaxe in the tool belt has a right-click option to remove it, and adding a pickaxe to the tool belt will return the previous one to your inventory. Pickaxes are rarely used as weapons, as they have half the same damage compared to weapons of the same tier and speed.
Players can smith their own pickaxes, using 2 bars of the desired metal. The dwarven army axe, sacred and volatile clay pickaxes, dragon pickaxes, inferno adze, Imcando pickaxe, and crystal pickaxe cannot be smithed.
Stealing Creation pickaxes[edit | edit source]
These pickaxes can only be obtained and used in the Stealing Creation minigame.
These can be used outside of the minigame.
These pickaxes can only be obtained and used during Dungeoneering.
Previously, players needed to repair their pickaxe if it had been damaged during the exploding rock random event. Players had to visit Nurmof in the Dwarven Mine or Bob at the Bob's Brilliant Axes in Lumbridge to repair it for a small cost. Players also used to find their pickaxe head flying off their handle, which they then needed to pick up and rejoin to the handle. However, pickaxes no longer get damaged or lose their heads, due to the removal of random events.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- ninja 1 April 2019 (Update):
- The rate you receive warning messages for getting reduced rates due to your pickaxe level when mining has been lowered.
- patch 14 January 2019 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to attempt to store pickaxes on your toolbelt in free to play worlds if you have a member's only pickaxe already stored.
- When having a high-level members pickaxe on your toolbelt on F2P, when mining, this will now default to runite.
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- Pickaxes can be smithed as high as level 90, but smithable pickaxes can't be augmented.
- patch 19 May 2009 (Update):
- Woodcutting and Mining now try to use the axe/pickaxe you're currently wielding. If you don't have one in your hands, it'll try to select the best one in your inventory.
using an obsidian pickaxe.