|Release date||24 October 2005 (Update)|
|Source||Catherby Fishing shop or Squeal of Fortune|
|Examine||A fishbowl with a tiny [fish type] in it.|
|NPC ID||8737, 8738, 8739|
|Item ID||6670, 6671, 6672|
|Links||MRID6670 MRID6671 MRID6672 MRND8737 MRND8738 MRND8739|
|Infobox • Talk page|
A pet fish may be obtained from Harry's Fishing Shop in Catherby by using a tiny net to fish in one of the aquarium fishing spots inside the shop. For a player to be able to fish in the aquarium, it is necessary for them to have a fishbowl containing water and seaweed in their inventory. Catching a pet fish gives 1 Fishing experience. Pet fish eat fish food. A box of fish food can be found on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of Draynor Manor. Players can also make fish food by adding ground guam and ground seaweed to an empty fish food box. At level 99, players have a 40% chance of catching a bluefish, 40% chance of catching a greenfish, and a 20% chance of receiving a spinefish. Additionally, you have to be at least level 70 fishing to be able to obtain the orange (spinefish) variant.
Types[edit | edit source]
There are three different types of pet fish, each with a different probability of being caught. It is possible to own multiple types of pet fish at the same time and to have more than one fish of the same colour. It is not necessary to store a pet fish in a player-owned house menagerie to fish for additional pet fish.
Actions[edit | edit source]
Players can interact with their pet fish in a number of ways with the following results.
Talk-At[edit | edit source]
- Good fish. Just keep swimming... swimming... swimming...
- The fish swims. It is clearly an obedient fish.
Play-With[edit | edit source]
- (If the character is female): "Jump! 'Cmon boy, Jump!"; (If the character is male): "Jump! 'Cmon girl, Jump!".
- The fish bumps into the side of the fishbowl. Then it swims some more.
- Good fish...
Drop[edit | edit source]
- If you drop your fishbowl it will break!
- Drop it regardless / Keep hold
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 April 2012 (Update):
- Players are now warned about the consequences of dropping a goldfish bowl with a goldfish in, as they can't swim on land.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "Just keep swimming... swimming... swimming..." is a reference to Dory from Finding Nemo.
- Players will get this message if any item except fish food is used on the pet fish:
- Fish can be put in the menagerie of a player-owned house, but they can only be interacted with by talking to them.
- Pet fish can be returned to the shop in Catherby by using the fishbowl on the aquarium. Doing so will leave an empty fishbowl.
- A spinefish or a bluefish in a fishbowl could be obtained as a prize from the Squeal of Fortune during the The Squeal of Neptune promotion.
- The fishbowl can be 'played with' while inside the bank interface. This would cause the currently equipped main hand item to briefly appear in the bank in front of the fishbowl, but it is not actually unequipped.