The clockwork suit (or penguin suit) is made during, and after, the Cold War quest. With the suit, one can become a penguin after talking to Larry. Larry can be found at the Ardougne Zoo, the pier south of the Hunter snow area, the penguin iceberg, or Lumbridge sheep farm.
The suit cannot be worn with anything equipped in the main- or off-hand or the cape slots.
Wearing the suit opens up a possibility of performing 8 unique penguin emotes. The suit is required in order to access the Penguin Agility Course on the Penguin Outpost.
The clockwork suit can be wound and released, much like the toy mouse can. Also, catching it gives 12.5 Agility experience. If lost, the suit cannot be retrieved.
At first, this device can only be worn with the assistance of Larry. After the next Cold War series quest, the Hunt for Red Raktuber, the suit can be worn with the help of either Chuck or Jim (polar bears). Additional quests include Some Like It Cold and Back to the Freezer.
| Crafting level||30|
| Partial completion of Cold War|
| Must be performed at a crafting table 3 or higher|
| Members only|
A player getting into a clockwork suit
When making multiple suits for a slot in the bank, note that newly made suits do not stack with suits that you've worn before in the bank. To fix this, simply take a new suit (with no older ones in the inventory) to Larry, Chuck, or Jim and have them turn you into a penguin and then undo the spell. The suit should now stack with the other previously worn suit(s) in the bank. Since they prefer to use an old suit for the spell, no matter its placement within the player's inventory, players may have to make multiple trips to the bank, taking one new suit at a time and leaving all old suits in the bank.
Another way is to wind and release suits that become worn, wear the next suit in your inventory, then go pick up the suit you released. It is unknown whether this is a glitch or not, as both suits have exactly the same features otherwise.
A player's forum avatar could be set as the clockwork suit. This was a glitch that enabled players to teleport out of the selected "penguin-only" regions and walk around RuneScape as if they were their normal characters. (This glitch was fixed on or before 24 November 2010. Attempting to teleport triggers the following message "Your penguin suit interferes with teleportation magic. You will need to get out of the suit first.).
After starting Some Like it Cold, when you enter a suit using one of the extra suits, and you get out, the suit will be in your inventory.
You can release a ton of the clockwork suits in a small space and then continuously gather them up to get around 25,000-35,000 Agility experience per hour.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 20 July 2020 (Update):
- Getting into the Penguin Suit will no longer make your character invisible until you move.
- patch 8 May 2018 (Update):
- Players can now correctly make multiple clockwork penguin suits through the make x interface provided they have enough materials.
- hotfix 12 June 2017 (Update):
- The ability to wear a penguin suit has been returned to the desert, allowing 'Back to the Freezer' to be completed.
- patch 6 October 2010 (Update):
- Clarified the clockwork suit destroy message after completing various penguin quests.
- patch 9 September 2009 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with the penguin suit during a cutscene.
- patch 10 August 2009 (Update):
- Grammar error when removing penguin disguise.
- If attempting to catch a suit that is not yours, you will receive a message "This is not the penguin you are looking for." This is a reference to Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
- When the quest was first released a bug allowed another player to take the suit when it was wound up and released. It was reported on the forums, and was soon fixed.
- If a system update happens while you are in the suit, you will leave the suit and the message that you get when leaving the suit appears in the message box when the screen freezes.