Penance armour is a set of non-degradable level 40 PvP armour that can be bought using points earned in the Barbarian Assault minigame. The minigame has 4 roles: Attacker, Defender, Collector and Healer. All pieces of the set require points in each role in order to be bought. A full set costs 1,275 Honour points, in all four roles.
Unlike most sets, the style of the various pieces of the set vary between pieces. The Fighter torso, Penance gloves and Fighter hat are melee equipment, while the Penance skirt, Runner boots, Runner hat and Ranger hat are ranged equipment. The Healer hat is magic equipment.
Set Effect[edit | edit source]
Wearing the full set of armour (Hat, Torso, Skirt, Boots and Gloves) will make the player’s prayer points increase automatically at a rate of 30 points per minute. It should be noted that with a boosted amount of prayer points, the restore effect of the penance armour may lower it. It renews to the player's normal amount of prayer points, so the boost will be lost when the first prayer restore occurs. Neither the horn or trident are necessary to gain the set effect. The player needs only to be wearing the fighter torso, penance skirt, penance gloves, runner boots, and any of the hats.
The set effect works with any combination of standard pieces and their hardened upgrades, obtained with the Barbarian assault armour patch. This allows players to maintain the set effect even if only some pieces in the set have been upgraded.
Popular Usage[edit | edit source]
The individual pieces of Penance equipment are a popular early-game option for players, as they provide exceptionally high stats for the requirement of 40 Defence, as well as additional PvP damage reduction over similarly tiered armour pieces.
The set bonus can be useful for situations where a slow prayer gain is beneficial, but is not very effective in cases where prayer is rapidly drained. It also has limited usefulness in combat, as the armour provides mixed combat styles and has all the implicit disadvantages that come with mixing armour types. Some examples for when Penance armour set effect may be desired are:
- Using slow-draining prayers such as Rapid Heal. In these cases, the armour can provide a constant, indefinite rate of prayer point restore.
- Training Agility: Since Rapid Heal can be used infinitely assuming the player's prayer bonus is over +4 (easily covered by various neckwears), the extra life points will be a terrific help. Because Penance Gloves have a weight of -7 kg, the full set alone only weighs 2 kg (or 1 kg with the lighter Runner Hat), which is easily negated by a spotted/spottier cape. (Keep in mind that Regen bracelet provides a better regeneration bonus, does not require prayer to use, and can be bought with coins)
- Doing something casual in preparation for something that requires Prayer (such as mining in Living Rock Caverns while preparing to run through a large cluster of enemies). This may save the player time if an altar is nowhere nearby.
- Casting blooms to combat ghasts or gather Mort myre fungus in Mort Myre Swamp.
- Using a prayer book to cure poison, such as in the Pyramid Plunder minigame.
- Use of Imp Souled perk during gathering activities, to offset the prayer drain on activation.
- Use of Ancient Curses during gathering activities.
Components[edit | edit source]
Normal set[edit | edit source]
Hardened set[edit | edit source]
|Hardened fighter hat||40||170||-||-||16.2||-||-|
|Hardened ranger hat||40||170||-||-||-||16.2||-|
|Hardened runner hat||40||170||-||-||-||16.2||-|
|Hardened healer hat||40||170||-||-||-||-||16.2|
|Hardened fighter torso||40||195.5||-||-||24.3||-||-|
|Hardened penance skirt||40||187||-||-||-||20.2||-|
|Hardened penance gloves||40||42.5||-||-||10.1||-||-|
|Hardened runner boots||40||42.5||-||-||-||10.1||-|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A player wearing a complete set of Penance armour with Fighter hat.
A player wearing a complete set of Penance armour with Ranger hat.
A player wearing a complete set of Penance armour with Healer hat.
A player wearing a complete set of Penance armour with Runner hat.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 10 June 2019 (Update):.
- Various combat equipment sets now have set effects listed in tooltips.
- patch 21 January 2013 (Update):
- The level requirements for penance armour have been corrected in the Skill Advance Guide.
- patch 4 December 2012 (Update):
- The Penance set now restores the correct amount of prayer points per minute.
- Penance armour has been updated on the skill guide to show the correct requirements.