|Release||3 September 2018 (Update)|
|Examine||You can keep small animals in this paddock. Maximum of 6 animals.|
|doc • Talk page|
Paddocks or pens are enclosures used for player-owned farming at the Manor Farm and the Anachronia Dinosaur Farm. They can hold a number of animals of the same type (6 for small pens, 4 for medium pens and the breeding pens, and 3 for large pens).
On the Manor Farm, there are two pens of each size and one breeding pen. On the Anachronia Dinosaur Farm, there are five pens in total: one small, one medium, two large and one breeding pen. On either farm, players cannot have different animal types in the same pen or put animals in an incorrect-sized pen.
Pen deeds must be purchased from the Farmers' Market and Anachronia Dinosaur Farm Farmers' Market before construction. Once the deeds are purchased, paddocks on the Manor Farm can be constructed with planks and nails, and pens on the Anachronia Dinosaur Farm can be constructed using resources gathered from the Anachronia base camp.
Manor Farm paddocks[edit | edit source]
Once the tutorial is completed, the breeding paddock is already constructed, but all the other paddocks require a number of planks and nails of increasing quality corresponding to the size of the paddock. When the player can't obtain the required materials by themselves, they can alternatively purchase pen construction kits with beans. As these are fairly expensive, it is only recommended to do so as a lower level ironman. Protean planks can be used in the construction of pens in place of all of the other planks. The required construction levels may be boosted or assisted. Paddock construction may not be boosted with a crystal saw.
There are two paddocks of each of the three sizes: small, medium, and large, as well as a breeding paddock.
|Pen size||Animals||Level||Experience||Planks||Nails|| Level
(of same type)
|Small||Rabbits, chickens, or chinchompas||20||600||10 oak||75 steel or better||17||28||6|
|Medium||Sheep, spider, or zygomites||40||1,350||15 teak||150 mithril or better||35||64||4|
|Large||Cows, yaks, or dragons||60||2,800||20 mahogany||225 rune||49||71||3|
Anachronia Dinosaur Farm pens[edit | edit source]
Unlike the paddocks at the Manor Farm, the dinosaur pens at the Dinosaur Farm require wood, vines, and stone that are obtained from the Anachronia Base Camp. Once the required resources are obtained, the required construction level may be boosted or assisted. Acquiring the resources is a lengthy process involving upgrading the Anachronia base camp, see below.
There is one small dinosaur pen, one medium dinosaur pen, two large dinosaur pens and a single breeding pen.
Requirements to build the small pen are met upon completing the Anachronia tutorial.
Requirements to build the medium pen involve building the Tier 1 Storehouse (at least 15 hours total) in the Anachronia base camp, further collection time of the required materials varies based on Sleeping Quarters tier and is not calculated in the requirement above.
Requirements to build the large pens involve building the Tier 2 Storehouse (at least 205 hours total or 8.5 days) in the Anachronia base camp, further collection time of the required materials varies based on Sleeping Quarters tier and is not calculated in the requirement above.
Requirements to build the breeding pen involve building the Tier 3 Storehouse (at least 663.34 hours or 27.64 days total) in the Anachronia base camp, further collection time of the required materials varies based on Sleeping Quarters tier and is not calculated in the requirement above.
Mucking[edit | edit source]
Each animal on the Manor Farm produces different types of muck in their paddock. When players "muck out", they gain Farming experience depending on the type of muck that is attempted to be cleared. No matter how many times experience is gained, each pile of manure will only fill one bucket.
Mucking out for cows 20 times is needed for I Hardly Manure achievement, which can be done in either a large pen or the breeding pen.
Muck does not affect animal stats or breeding chance. Thus, mucking any manure except dragon manure is mostly useful for its rather low experience gain and the chance at receiving master farmer fragments. While manure and green manure can be used when making compost and supercompost respectively, other items can be used which are easier to obtain.
|Animal||Muck||Frequency||Experience per action|
|Rabbit||Mammal droppings||5 minutes||20|
|Chicken||Bird droppings||10 minutes||20|
|Dragons||Green manure [d 1]||10 minutes||120|
|Dragon manure [d 2]||500|
Manure is used for regular compost. Green manure is used for supercompost. Dragon manure is used for ultracompost, which increases the yield of Farming patches and dramatically decreases disease chance.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Bean There, Done That ( 20) – Purchase the following upgrades from the farmers' market reward shop.
- Bean There, Done That, Got the Postcard ( 0) – Purchase the following upgrades from the Anachronia farmers' market reward shop.
- I Hardly Manure ( 5) – Clean up after cows 20 times. (X/20)
- Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit ( 10) – Fill both small pens with rabbits.
- Ram-bow ( 20) – Have the four different seasonal rams in a pen at the same time.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 18 January 2021 (Update):
- You can now mark favourite animals with a new right-click/long-press option or via the Animal pen or Barn interfaces
- Animal buyers can once again be set to appear via 'word of mouth' based on what animals are in the pens
- Speak to one of the Potteringtons about contract options and clear your advertisements to try it out!
- Player owned farm paddock requirements are now listed in the Construction Skill Guide
- For consistency, messaging about not having enough materials to build dinosaur pens has been turned into info-boxes
- patch 7 December 2020 (Update):
- The deed for the large dinosaur pen now has the correct description in the Farmers' Market.
- patch 6 January 2020 (Update):
- Players can no longer see other players inside pens on Anachronia dinosaur farm.
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Corrected the naming of the diseased Jadinko when it appears inside a Ranch out of Time pen.
- update 16 September 2019 (Update):
- Various changes made to address complaints listed in the Player Owned Farm - Changes Blog.
- Reduced breeding outside of the breeding pen.
- Animals in the small pen will take 1.5x as long to breed as animals in the breeding pen.
- Animals in the medium pen will take 2x as long to breed as animals in the breeding pen.
- Animals in the large pen will take 3x as long to breed as animals in the breeding pen.
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- An Assist System message will no longer appear for Ironman accounts when checking to build a paddock in Player Owned Farm.
- patch 11 March 2019 (Update):
- Callia the farmhand collector will now correctly collect animals from the breeding pen if you were to leave the area with less than the max amount of animals inside the pen.
- You will now correctly be informed if the collector can't collect an animal.
- patch 11 February 2019 (Update):
- Using a farm animal on the paddock entrance will no longer cause a disconnection.
- patch 26 November 2018 (Update):
- Reduced the painted down area of Manor Farm which was covering a wider area than it perhaps needed. This meant farm checks were running when you walked from places like the Ardougne lodestone to the Fishing Guild. The areas have now been tightened up to only cover the the outskirts of all pens and the hives.
- Two tiles in the north-west paddock of Player-owned-Farm should no longer cause the player to be stuck under certain circumstances.
- patch 17 September 2018 (Update):
- Granny Potterington now sells animal pen kits on the farmers' market.
- patch 10 September 2018 (Update):
- Any new rabbits you breed will now be bankable and tradeable. There were some very strange cases where if you kept your original tutorial rabbits in the breeding pen, then a majority of other bred rabbits would be classed as tutorial ones and therefore not bankable and tradeable. Apologies, but this fix will only tend to new rabbits. You'll have to sell any other untradeable ones you might have in a pen to the Rabbit buyer.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Elite Dungeons and Player Owned Farms - April Content Showcase!. 17 April 2018.*
- ^ July's Content Showcase - Player-owned Farms and more!. 17 July 2018.*
- ^ 2018 - RuneScape's Year Ahead. 5 January 2018.*