|Release||15 January 2008 (Update)|
|Abilities||Beast of burden (30)|
|Special moves||Winter Storage|
|Examine||Bulk haulage never smelled so bad.|
|Life points||Max hit|
|Immune to poison||Yes|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Pack yaks are level 114 combat Summoning familiars with the second largest inventory capacity among all the Beasts of Burden (behind pack mammoths). They have the capability of holding up to 30 items for a player, whose value can be no more than 15,000,000 coins each (90,000,000 coins in total). They cannot carry rune essence. Pack yaks also have a special move called Winter Storage, which allows for instant banking, making it a popular familiar to take to most areas. Similar to the unicorn stallion and bunyip, a pack yak will fight only when attacked.
The pack yak can be communicated with if the player is wearing a pack yak mask.
Pack yak pouch[edit | edit source]
|211 ( 5,275)||13
|Create XP||Use XP||Low alch||Hi alch||GE price|
|GE Database||Cost to make||Bogrog shard return||Shard return level|
|Look up price||5,491||148 (3,700)||97|
|I can summon a pack yak familiar with this.|
A pack yak pouch is made by using a Summoning pouch on a Summoning obelisk with 211 spirit shards, a crimson charm and a yak-hide in the inventory, and 96 Summoning. Making the pouch earns 422.4 experience points. Using the pouch to summon a pack yak gains 4.8 experience points, and costs 100 Summoning points. Each pouch summons a pack yak which stays alive for 64 minutes before needing to be re-summoned.
Pack Yak scroll (Winter Storage)[edit | edit source]
|Create XP||Use XP||Special move points|
|Low Alch||High Alch||GE Price|
|GE Database||Bogrog shard return||Shard return level|
|Look up price||11 (275)||97|
|A scroll for a pack yak familiar.|
Winter Storage[edit | edit source]
Winter Storage is the special move for the pack yak, which when used on an item in the player's inventory, instantly banks it without the need for visiting a bank in person. This allows players to remotely bank items while remaining in a certain area for extended periods of time. When using the scroll on noted items only one item will be banked per scroll. The special move is also used while player killing because the special move can bank the gear of the player, thus not risking the items should they die. As of June 13 2016 update Pack Yak scroll (Winter Storage)s banking ability can no longer be used above level 30 Wilderness.
As the familiar lasts for 64 minutes, summoning the pack yak with a full special moves bar provides 1980 special move points over the course of its lifespan, allowing you to potentially use the Pack Yak scroll (Winter Storage) 165 times. In cases where one will acquire more than 165 drops within that one hour, alternative methods such as Magic notepaper may be necessary for banking in addition to the Pack yak.
Casting the spell Make Leather and crafting dragonhide bodies will allow the yak's inventory to hold 90 dragonhides' worth of dragonhide bodies, and so players wishing to train at Green or blue dragons may wish to use this method to bank all of the dragon bones and dragonhides that the dragons will drop. To maximise efficiency, players should use Winter storage to bank the bones immediately, cast Make Leather 3 times when 15 dragonhides are acquired, craft 5 dragonhide bodies and store them in the yak, then repeat the process.
In the Wilderness, Winter Storage only works up to level 30 Wilderness. Players should be aware of this if they need to bank items and are deeper inside.
Winter Storage cannot be used to bank Pack Yak scroll (Winter Storage)s.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Graphical updates[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- Examining items in a beast of burden now correctly shows item price.
- Fixed an issue where crafting jewellery from a Beast of Burden could cause the crafted item to be destroyed.
- patch 1 April 2019 (Update):
- Prevented incense sticks from being crafted from items stored in a beast of burden.
- ninja 5 February 2018 (Update):
- The maximum stack value on a Beast of Burden has been increased from 5m GP to 15m GP.
- patch 20 November 2017 (Update):
- Items will now consistently appear in a Beast of Burden when using the 'Give BoB items' option.
- patch 14 August 2017 (Update):
- An issue where the "Give BoB" option on the summoning icon displayed as "Take BoB" has been fixed.
- patch 26 September 2016 (Update):
- A beast of burden can no longer hold items worth more than 5M per slot.
- ninja 12 October 2015 (Update):
- All Beasts of Burden now have a greatly increased life points total.
- patch 10 August 2015 (Update):
- The Beast of Burden ability timer no longer remains on screen when dismissing a legendary pet.
- ninja 6 July 2015 (Update):
- Players can now open a beast of burden's inventory into a tab to allow for easier use.
- Players can now access a beast of burden's inventory directly from the bank by switching the inventory tab.
- patch 22 June 2015 (Update):
- Players can now deposit items still held by a beast of burden via the bank "Deposit all BoB" button when the familiar has disappeared unexpectedly.
- ninja 26 January 2015 (Update):
- Combination potions can now be stored with a beast of burden.
- Unfired and unstarted runed urns can now be stored in a beast of burden.
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- The ‘deposit beast of burden’ option from the bank will now deposit all of the BoB items correctly.
- ninja 27 January 2014 (Update):
- The primary option on beast of burden familiars is now 'Store' instead of 'Interact'.
- Players can now store portents of restoration in their beasts of burden. The healing effect will still only occur while the portent is in the backpack.
- patch 4 January 2011 (Update):
- Adjusted the way beasts of burden hold onto items after you switch to a different familiar.
- patch 13 May 2010 (Update):
- Improved the code dealing with storing items in your bank via the pack yak.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On 26 November 2018, the timer of the yak was extended from 58 minutes to 64 minutes.
- In the original update, pack yaks could only hold 10 items, though the items would stack.
- An update to the Crucible prior to its removal from the game prevented players from using Winter Storage scrolls to bank items in the minigame, producing the error message "You cannot use that spell whilst in the Crucible."
- Prior to the patch notes of 13 June 2016, Winter Storage could be used at any level of the Wilderness.
- The pack yak was given dialogue when it was released in 2008, but the dialogue was inaccessible until the release of the pack yak mask in 2018. This also makes the pack yak understandable without having 10 Summoning levels above it, much like the iron and steel titans.
- The pack yak serves as a mascot and namesake of the Yak Track series of events.