Cosmetic overrides are display changes to a player's avatar character or animation. These can be found in the Customisation interface, released alongside the grand opening of the Solomon's General Store.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Cosmetic overrides are different from physical items itself due to the omission of its own inventory icon as it does not exist in a physical state. Some overrides are not related to what is actually equipped, with the exception of weapons, which can only override physical weapons of the same class. As such, most overrides do not show in player-versus-player situations. After an update, retro replica equipment can be displayed in player-versus-player, with the condition of having the equivalent equipment equipped. In the case of Elite Void Knight equipment, the matching colour (Guardian, Justiciar, or Executioner) must also be selected.
Cosmetic override animations are only played when the corresponding skill is being performed. They do not provide any extra benefits despite the animation played are usually much more dramatic.
Overrides usually have no bearing on actual gameplay, although a few exceptions exist. The New Varrock cultist robes and Zombie outfit (New Varrock), when applied, enable the wearer to progress through the Dimension of Disaster quest without using their physical item counterparts. The Dulcin armour allows entry to the Black Knights' Fortress.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Once a cosmetic override is purchased from Solomon's General Store or acquired by other means, the Customisation interface button will flash. Once clicked to prompt Customisation mode, the Wardrobe or Animations tab will also flash depending on what cosmetic override is acquired.
Cosmetic overrides that are unlocked can be identified by the solid blue or brown box around the override's name. If there is a solid gold outline around the box, the override can be purchased from Solomon's General Store. An override with a purple outline and a treasure chest icon on the right can be unlocked through Treasure Hunter. When there is only a purple outline, the override can be unlocked through a limited time event. Finally, a uncoloured box is an override that can be obtained from in-game content.
Players may freely preview and apply (and recolour if possible) overrides. Any override may be previewed (and recoloured), but must be unlocked to be applied.
Some cosmetics can be upgraded through in game actions while wearing the outfit:
- Grotesque Armour - Training Slayer, killing bosses, or using Soul gems
- Sunfury Armour - Training prayer or using Gems of aspiration
- Lunarfury Armour - Training mining/runecrafting or using Lunar shards
- Nex outfit - Killing Nex 5 times
- King Black Dragon outfit - Killing the King Black Dragon 5 times
- Raptor's Basic Outfit - Killing 30 of any Wyvern, Ripper Demon, Camel Warrior or Acheron mammoth.
Animation overrides[edit | edit source]
Animations are a type of cosmetic override that alter the player's default animation for a number of different actions. Animations that can be overridden include resting; skilling; casting spells, especially teleporting; walking/running; and defeating another player in player versus player combat. Players may change their animation overrides using the customisation interface. Certain items override walk animation overrides, as found at Animation changing items.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
The majority of cosmetic overrides are purchased from Solomon's General Store. Aside from the General Store, overrides are also unlocked once a certain activity, quest or seasonal event is completed and other times through completing outfit sets from Treasure Hunter. The 2014 RuneFest distributed the RuneFest 2014 Teleport cosmetic override to attendees of the event via a redeemable code.
Discontinued overrides are ones that could only be purchased or acquired for a limited amount of time. Several early examples of discontinued overrides include the Shadow outfit line (Shadow Cat, Demon, Hunter, Knight, Sentinel, Dragoon and Gorilla), Charity tunics (GameBlast, AbleGamers, DonateGames and YoungMinds Tunic) and so more as time passes.
Some cosmetic overrides unlocked from members-only activities will be locked once the player's membership expires, although they can be unlocked by resuming membership. Those overrides would show up in the customization menu but when the player attempts to apply the customisation, it would be removed. You cannot distinguish which override is locked from free-to-play unless you try to apply it, because there is no guidance and hint on which is locked. All task set items, circus items, loyalty outfits, gilly outfit are notable examples. Only loyalty outfits have an obvious lock symbol to indicate that they cannot be worn in free-to-play, however.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 April 2020 (Update):
- Stopped the Twilight Pegasus pet from turning invisible in the Wardrobe view.
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- Clearing override slots with a lent item in them will now correctly display.
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- Master skillcape keepsake overrides will now consistently stay active when logging in to a F2P world.
- ninja 3 April 2018 (Update):
- Cosmetic overrides of task items have been added to the wardrobe. Keepsaked items have also been removed and a key refunded.
- patch 26 March 2018 (Update):
- Outfits that can be upgraded via gameplay are no longer hidden in the wardrobe if the base outfit is owned.
- patch 15 January 2018 (Update):
- A message in the wardrobe has been tweaked to indicate that unequippable items may need unlocking rather than purchasing.
- patch 4 December 2017 (Update):
- Survival outfit feet are now correctly displayed in the wardrobe interface.
- patch 23 October 2017 (Update):
- A number of issues with delayed player animation on the wardrobe interface have been fixed.
- patch 25 September 2017 (Update):
- Players are now able to change outfits correctly after reopening the Wardrobe interface after closing it with the recolour palette open.
- patch 22 May 2017 (Update):
- The Angelic Inari pet now appears correctly when set as a familiar override.
- patch 10 April 2017 (Update):
- A 'hide-all' shortcut has been added to the wardrobe, along with the ability to hide slots individually from the right-click menu.
- patch 20 March 2017 (Update):
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- You can no longer cause your teleport animations to be unsynchronised when using the wardrobe.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Cosmetic Raptor outfit shields can how be found correctly using the offhand filter.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- patch 5 October 2015 (Update):
- Players can now disable the cosmetic effects of their aura in the Wardrobe interface.
- patch 1 September 2015 (Update):
- Corrected the Deckchair resting unlock check in the Animations interface.
- patch 10 August 2015 (Update):
- Deckchair Resting now correctly appears within the Rest Animations section, rather than Skill Animations.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- The animations played on pets overriding nihil familiars have been corrected.
- patch 13 July 2015 (Update):
- Several defensive animations no longer display the incorrect weapon when using cosmetic overrides.
- patch 29 June 2015 (Update):
- Vitality weapons now appear correctly in the Wardrobe weapon sub-filters.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to cosmetically override the falcon given by Matthias.
- patch 12 January 2015 (Update):
- Bows overridden with crossbows will no longer appear to fire an arrow in the animation for Snipe.
- patch 5 January 2015 (Update):
- Off-hand weapon override recolours are now saved correctly.
- Certain tail overrides no longer stretch while Hefin serenity posts are being used.
- Players may now purchase items directly within the Wardrobe interface.
- patch 15 December 2014 (Update):
- Groups of customisation overrides with different palettes now recolour correctly when applied together.
- Recolours now remain on weapon overrides after unequipping weapons.
- patch 23 June 2014 (Update):
- Recolours on weapons and off-hand items will be correctly restored when loading presets in the wardrobe.
- patch 19 May 2014 (Update):
- The lesser demonflesh mask override no longer removes beards.
- The TokHaar brute head override no longer removes beards.
- patch 28 April 2014 (Update):
- An issue that was causing shieldbow weapon overrides to not work has been corrected.
- patch 3 March 2014 (Update):
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- Players can no longer use the inventory or equip interface whilst using the wardrobe interface.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- The wardrobe interface no longer offers to open the store if the Sword of Edicts customisation is unlocked.
- patch 28 January 2013 (Update):
- patch 19 September 2012 (Update):
- The bare feet cosmetic override now functions correctly instead of replacing players' feet.
- Using the scorching axe cosmetic override with the lumberjack woodcutting animation on ivy has been corrected.
- The scorching axe cosmetic override now works correctly within the Jadinko Lair.
- The flashing "New items" function no longer flashes constantly once the shatter storm wand cosmetic override has been bought.
- Players no longer lose their default hairstyle when entering a disallowed-cosmetics area.