|Release||7 October 2009 (Update)|
|High alch||66 coins|
|Low alch||44 coins|
|1 dose of overload potion.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Overloads are potions which combine the boosting properties of all 5 extreme potions. They are created by combining 3-dose extreme attack, extreme strength, extreme defence, extreme ranging, and extreme magic potions with a clean torstol. The process grants 1,000 Herblore experience and requires level 96 Herblore, which can be boosted but not assisted. Four empty vials are left over.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Overloads boost Attack, Strength, Defence, Ranged, and Magic + 15% of the stat level + 3 (a maximum of +17 at level 99) for 6 minutes. Overloads reapply the boosts every 15 seconds, resulting in minimal boost decay - however, once the overload wears off, the boosts are completely removed. Upon death, the effect of overload will also wear off entirely before the 6 minutes is up.
Like all combat stat boosts, the stat increase from overloads increases your damage bonus in 2 ways (values for fastest speed weapons/ability damage given; scaled up for slower weapons): +2.5 per level to base damage (as your level is higher), and +8 per level after all other modifiers (for having a level above your base level) - a total of +42.5 base damage and +136 to final damage, at level 99 Strength, Magic, and/or Ranged. Effects like Void Knight equipment apply to the former but not the latter.
It is a popular misconception that overloads will fully restore a player's stats every 15 seconds. This is untrue, as overloads simply reapply the boosts every 15 seconds. This property is useful to players who are using Saradomin brews to restore life points, as the overload's frequent boosts help to counter the Saradomin brews' stat drain.
Value[edit | edit source]
A 3-dose overload costs 101,055 coins to make from super potions (33,685 coins per dose). The scroll of cleansing can save any of the ingredients of an overload when used except for the extreme attack, and portable wells can duplicate overloads completed using them.
When making overloads on a large scale, players can expect to make the following doses, on average, per potion:
- 3.585 doses with portable well, a modified botanist's mask, 3 pieces of the factory outfit, botanist's amulet, and brooch of the gods.
- 3.465 doses with portable well, a modified botanist's mask, 3 pieces of the factory outfit and a botanist's amulet.
- 3.355 doses with portable well, a modified botanist's mask and a botanist's amulet.
- 3.203 doses with portable well and a botanist's amulet.
- 3.15 doses with portable well.
- 3.05 doses with a botanist's amulet.
Once creation of combination potions has been unlocked, it is generally cheaper to use one of the overload combinations instead of normal overloads, as each combination potion is 6 doses of overload made from 4 doses. For example, a holy overload costs 31,866 coins in addition to the overload (166,606 coins total), whereas 6 doses of normal overload costs 202,110 coins – so holy overload is effectively a savings of 35,504 coins. For more details, see Calculator:Herblore/Combination potions § Overload variants.
When making combination potions with the scroll of cleansing, overloads can be saved.
Creation[edit | edit source]
It is possible to make overloads at level 90 Herblore with the aid of a spicy stew (with brown spice) getting a +6 level boost; it is also possible to create them at level 89 Herblore, using the artisan skills boost from an advanced pulse core. However, the most reliable and longest-lasting boost is a God banner, which provides a +2 bonus for 30 minutes. Using a preset inventory with appropriate quantities of each of the 6 ingredients greatly reduces the time spent banking.
With 120 Herblore, overloads can be made in a batch, creating five potions with the ingredients of four potions. This is only available when the Herblore master cape perk is active (worn, present in max cape, or in the Anachronia base camp player lodge skill cape stand).
|1,000 XP||-||2 (1.2s) / 1 (0.6s) [recipe 1]||-|
|Extreme attack (3)||1||5,469||5,469|
|Extreme strength (3)||1||33,734||33,734|
|Extreme defence (3)||1||16,694||16,694|
|Extreme magic (3)||1||10,713||10,713|
|Extreme ranging (3)||1||28,648||28,648|
- ^ When mixing a single potion
|You must have the Herblore master cape active|
|Extreme attack (3)||4||5,469||21,876|
|Extreme strength (3)||4||33,734||134,936|
|Extreme defence (3)||4||16,694||66,776|
|Extreme magic (3)||4||10,713||42,852|
|Extreme ranging (3)||4||28,648||114,592|
Production costs[edit | edit source]
|Super attack||Super strength||Super defence||Super magic potion||Super ranging potion|
|Secondary||Eye of newt||Limpwurt root||White berries||Potato cactus||Wine of Zamorak|
|Extreme attack||Extreme strength||Extreme defence||Extreme magic||Extreme ranging|
|Primary||Super attack||Super strength||Super defence||Super magic potion||Super ranging potion|
|Secondary||Avantoe||Dwarf weed||Lantadyme||Ground mud runes||5 Grenwall spikes|
|Extreme attack, Extreme strength, Extreme defence, Extreme magic, Extreme ranging and Clean torstol|
|Total experience (from scratch): 2910|
|Total experience (buying Super potions): 2200|
|Total cost (from scratch): 102,531|
|Total cost (buying Super potions): 101,055|
|Total cost (buying Super potions with Scroll of cleansing): 97,923.1|
- ^ This portion of the table assumes all ingredients are bought and sold on the Grand Exchange. Vials of water included.
Products[edit | edit source]
Overload (4)[edit | edit source]
- This list was created dynamically, and shows the first 100 items alphabetically.
- To force an update of this list, click .
- For an exhaustive list of items, click .
|Holy aggroverload (6)||N/A|
|Holy overload potion (6)||N/A|
|Overload salve (6)||N/A|
|Perfect plus potion (6)||N/A|
|Searing overload potion (6)||N/A|
|Supreme overload potion (6)||N/A|
|Supreme overload potion (6) × 5||N/A|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Potions and flasks|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||0.0%|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 14 December 2020 (Update):
- patch 7 May 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where cure potions in Dungeoneering were extending overload timers.
- patch 9 January 2017 (Update):
- Unsetting overload states while not actually being under the effects of an overload has been fixed.
- ninja 15 February 2016 (Update):
- The animation which plays after drinking this potion will no longer close interfaces.
- patch 12 January 2015 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to obtain a permanent overload bonus from Araxxor.
- update 20 November 2012 (Update):
- Overloads' stat boosts have been changed. Instead of Attack, Strength, and Defence being boosted by 5+22% of the skill's level, Ranged being boosted by 4-23 levels, and Magic being boosted by 7 levels, all five skills are now boosted by 3+15% of the skill's level.
- patch 22 November 2011 (Update):
- This potion's timers are no longer delayed when an interface is opened.
- patch 25 October 2011 (Update):
- This potion now checks a player's lifepoints before delaying a player.
- patch 17 October 2011 (Update):
- You can’t log out immediately after drinking an overload potion to skip the damage.
- patch 4 October 2011 (Update):
- Teleporting after drinking an overload potion no longer cancels some of the damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When first released, overloads could be used in PvP areas, but within 48 hours, this was changed so they cannot be used in any PvP situation, dangerous or safe. After the Evolution of Combat update, overloads can be used in the Wilderness.
- Before the release of Evolution of Combat, Overloads boosted stats differently and damaged life points by 500 (equivalent to 5,000 in the current system) when consumed. Attempting to drink a dose of overload with less than 500 life points prompted the message Once it wore off, the player would be healed for 500 life points.
- According to Jagex, the damage the player receives from drinking an overload is because the potion "racks the body with spasms and burns the digestive tract".[source needed]
- Attempting to drink another dose of any overload variant immediately after having already drank a dose brings up a chatbox message saying "You are still suffering the effects of a fresh dose of overload.", and the second dose is not consumed. This is a holdover from when overloads used to damage the player when drunk.