For the lower-levelled tortle, see Tortle
Ornate tortles are level 96 Hunter creatures that can be found on Uncharted Isles. Players can hunt ornate tortles at level 81 Hunter by using Extreme hunter potions. Their shiny shell chippings are sought after due to the high sell value to Torts R Us on Waiko. 'Reggie' (tortle shell merchant) will pay 2 chimes for each shiny shell chippings, or 12 chimes if crafted into a shiny tortle shell bowl, requiring 4 shiny shell chippings and 92 Crafting; The bowls are also required to make shark soup. They can NOT be caught using protean traps.
To catch an ornate tortle, the player must set up a tortle trap near an ornate tortle. Once a tortle is caught, the player will collect one shiny shell chipping from the tortle; Rarely, chimes or a taijitu can be unearthed from the sands by escaping tortles. Tortleshell plovers may spawn (1/200) while catching ornate tortles. Ornate tortles may spawn on Uncharted Isles as a colony and lone ornate tortles may be randomly be found among a tortle colony, but not on Whale's Maw.
Around 200 ornate tortles may be caught before the message The tortles are disgruntled by your traps and begin to disperse from the area displays in unfiltered chat, at which point the ornate tortles will no longer spawn. Any remaining tortles can still be caught. At level 99 Hunter players can earn around 420,000 base experience (~600 ornate tortles) and 1,800 chimes per hour from hunting ornate tortles.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 15 August 2016 (Update):
- Ornate tortles will now respawn instead of normal tortles when ornate tortles are caught, if the two species are on the same island.
- Tortle is a portmanteau of "tortoise" and "turtle".
- When shiny shell chippings are received, a filterable message says "The tortle escapes into the sand, but you find some shell chippings in the trap."
- When chimes are received, a filterable message says "The tortle unearthed a chime in the sand!"
- When taijitu are received, a filterable message says "The tortle unearthed a rare taijitu in the sand!"
- When the Hunter area is depleted, a filterable message says "The tortles are disgruntled by your traps and begin to disperse from the area."
- Logging out and in again as soon as this message first appears makes all tortles of the same spot go away upon relogging.
- On 8 July 2019, the Hunter experience for trapping an ornate tortle was reduced from 1,585 to 698.