Orlando Smith is a natural historian and the starting point of The World Wakes. He can be found on the basement floor of the Varrock Museum, as well as the archaeological dig near the Legends' Guild.
If spoken to in the museum, Orlando tasks the player to go around and look at the plaques on all of the museum exhibits - a small Natural history quiz to test their knowledge on the creatures in RuneScape. Once they are finished, they will receive 1,000 Slayer and Hunter experience. He can also be spoken to after obtaining 153 kudos to complete Kudos on the Kudos!, a hard Varrock achievement.
His final appearance in-game will be next to the Legends' Guild at an archaeological dig. Upon inquiry, he'll tell the player some information about Guthix and serve as the starting point for the quest, The World Wakes. Frustrated with his lack of advancement in the museum, he sets out to explore the dig site, looking for treasure to take back to the museum. Shortly into the venture however, he is mistaken for a Mahjarrat and killed by automatons.
After his death, he is replaced by Mark Brodie at the Varrock Museum.
During the events of Dimension of Disaster, his New Varrock zombie counterpart can be found inside Varrock Museum, and is the start point of Dimension of Disaster: Shield of Arrav. In the quest, he asks players to help him out by returning it to the museum. He also plays a small role in Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav, and must be distracted by using the statue of Loarnab.
Orlando sees the artefacts in Guthix's Cave.
Orlando is killed by a blast of fire.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- Like Anna Jones and Asgarnia Smith, Orlando Smith is a reference to Indiana Jones, the titular character in the Indiana Jones series of films. His name is akin to Jones' as well, with the name of a location in the U.S.A as his first name, and a very common surname (Jones and Smith are both common in Western cultures). After a graphical update, he heavily resembles the character as well.
- When Orlando Smith is killed by the automatons, his death animation is similar to a player's if they die by Magic.
- He speaks with an Australian accent. This may be a reference to Johnny Thunder, an Australian-born Indiana Jones-type character who is the protagonist of LEGO's "Adventurers" toy line.
- His hat is an acquirable item.
- The wandering soul found in Limbo during Nomad's Elegy seems to be a reference to Orlando Smith.