Ore boxes are items that store metal ores. Initially, they can store up to 100 of each ore, increased by 20 for certain ores at certain Mining levels (see table below). Completing the Everything Is Oresome achievement (90 Mining required, boostable) also increases storage by 20 for all ores, allowing up to 140 to be stored. These two effects are independent of each other.
Gold and silver ores can only be stored after completing the Family Crest quest and are not subject to storage increases, but are rather always limited to 100 ores each. If a player completed the quest whilst a member, they are still able to store gold and silver without membership.
The ore boxes can be made at an anvil.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
The ore box's left-click option, "fill", fills the box with all ores in the player's inventory. Ores (including noted ores) can also be individually used on the box to fill it with all ore of that type. A mouse-over tooltip is displayed showing the contents of the ore box sorted from the lowest to the highest tier. The ore box can be added to the action bar, and clicking it there allows filling of the box without interrupting mining.
The ore box cannot be emptied into a player's inventory. Once filled it can only be emptied into a bank, deposit box or metal bank. The "Deposit-All" option in the metal bank empties the ore box as well as having an "empty" option that works in the bank interface. With deposit boxes, the ore box must be used on it to deposit the contents without banking the ore box, as the empty option does not exist in the deposit box interface, but this does allow the player to return to mining. Simply placing an ore box into the bank also empties the box, placing all the ores stored within it into the bank. If there isn't enough space in the bank, the ore(s) will stay in the box while banked.
Ore boxes share storage between them, so there is no use in owning multiple boxes. The player cannot fill the ore box while carrying more than one of them in their inventory. Attempting to fill the ore box whilst carrying several of them simply results in the player character exclaiming "I can't hold all these ore boxes!", with no ore being added to the box.
A temporary boost in Mining level can increase the capacity temporarily.
Dying in the Wilderness with an ore box of any tier, if unprotected, will result in the box and all ores contained within dropping on the ground for the killer. If the player protects their ore box, any ores contained within the ore box will be dropped on the ground for the killer; however, the ore box will be kept.
If the inventory is filled by mining while carrying the ore box, the game displays a message that the player could fill the box, even if the material mined cannot be stored there (such as when the box is already full).
Types of ore boxes[edit | edit source]
|Ore box||Highest tier of
|Ingredients||Mining level for
|GE price||Profit of creation
(From scratch - bars)
|Profit of creation
(From scratch - ores)
|Profit of creation
(Prior Ore box + bars)
|Profit of creation|
(Prior ore box + ores)
|Bronze ore box||Copper ore
|2 × Bronze bar||7||1,301 coins||-363 coins||397 coins||N/A||N/A|
|Iron ore box||Iron ore||1 × Bronze ore box
2 × Iron bar
|18||5,841 coins||1,445 coins||2,941 coins||1,808 coins||2,544 coins|
|Steel ore box||Coal
|1 × Iron ore box
2 × Steel bar
|29||8,270 coins||1,638 coins||4,006 coins||193 coins||1,065 coins|
|Mithril ore box||Mithril ore||1 × Steel ore box
2 × Mithril bar
|37||16,037 coins||7,451 coins||10,593 coins||5,813 coins||6,587 coins|
|Adamant ore box||Adamantite ore
|1 × Mithril ore box
2 × Adamant bar
|41||30,162 coins||15,328 coins||20,798 coins||7,877 coins||10,205 coins|
|Rune ore box||Runite ore||1 × Adamant ore box
2 × Rune bar
|55||44,802 coins||21,746 coins||28,346 coins||6,418 coins||7,548 coins|
|Orikalkum ore box||Orichalcite ore
|1 × Rune ore box
2 × Orikalkum bar
|66||51,136 coins||14,396 coins||22,616 coins||-7,350 coins||-5,730 coins|
|Necronium ore box||Necrite ore
|1 × Orikalkum ore box
2 × Necronium bar
|72||77,411 coins||21,897 coins||31,913 coins||7,501 coins||9,297 coins|
|Bane ore box||Banite ore||1 × Necronium ore box
2 × Bane bar
|85||115,187 coins||38,233 coins||48,633 coins||16,336 coins||16,720 coins|
|Elder rune ore box||Light animica
|1 × Bane ore box
2 × Elder rune bar
|95||192,803 coins||86,913 coins||105,587 coins||48,680 coins||56,954 coins|
- ^ Silver and gold ores require completion of Family Crest to be stored in the ore box and metal bank. A player who has completed the quest may store gold and silver without membership.
- ^ Increase does not count for gold or silver ores, which are always limited to 100.
- ^ a b Using the price of bars bought from Grand Exchange.
- ^ a b Using the price of ores bought from Grand Exchange.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 January 2021 (Update):
- patch 15 June 2020 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that would cause the 'Inspect' option on ore boxes to cut off words if the chat character limit was reached.
- patch 24 February 2020 (Update):
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- The Ore Box tooltip has been adjusted to stop visual clipping when using a large variety of ores.
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- patch 14 January 2019 (Update):
- It is now no longer possible to fill ore boxes when you have multiple of them on you.
- patch 4 February 2019 (Update):
- No longer autofill noted ores - you can still use the noted ores on the ore box to store them if you wish.
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- You can make an ore box using the smithing skill. Depending on its upgrade level, it can store up to 100 of each ore.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ore stored in ore boxes are not counted towards carried weight of the player.
- The value of ores stored in an ore box is not counted by the Wealth evaluator.