Orb of oculus
|Orb of oculus|
|Release||1 February 2010 (Update)|
|Backpack||Gaze into, Wield, Selfie, Visualise|
|Equipped||Gaze into, Selfie|
|High alch||12 coins|
|Low alch||8 coins|
|An orb of mystical excellence.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The orb of oculus is an item which allows players to have total control over the camera, an ability which is useful for video makers. It was intended to be used for the second RuneScape Machinima contest and was announced in the developers blog, Machinima: The Orb of Oculus. If a player talks to an estate agent whilst wielding the orb, and asks to have their player-owned house redecorated, it gives the option of having a blue or green coloured grounds. Wielding this is required to build a combat dummy in a formal garden.
Right-clicking the compass button on the minimap and selecting "Freecam" allows players to control the camera in the same manner.
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
It may be purchased from Faruq's Tools for Games in Al Kharid for 20 coins, taken for free from Ophelia in a clan theatre, obtained from Aubury in New Varrock or, if they choose to do so, can be received from a Jagex Moderator, if near them.
History[edit | edit source]
Mod Fnord stated that although the orb gives players complete control over the camera, including recording into the next room and performing close-ups, it will not be able to record video files, so players will still need a screen capture program to do this. He also confirmed that players will not be able to control themselves while using the orb, as controlling a player and the camera at the same time generated problems.
|“||The Orb of Oculus is the start of this. It’s an in-game item that we are about to release that can be used to set up some exciting and dynamic shots for your own RuneScape machinima. You will have total control over the camera and can make it manoeuvre and pan as you see fit. You will have the power to set up your shots, direct your friends and keep them in frame, and make the film you want to make.||”|
|— Mod Fnord Machinima: The Orb of Oculus|
The orb of oculus is designed to help making RuneScape YouTube videos more creative and fun:
|“||Everyone loves a good YouTube video, right? Well, following the success of our last machinima competition it's fair to say many people love to make them too. To that end, we will be launching the orb of oculus camera tool next week to allow even more creativity for RuneScape filmmakers, which should come in handy for those looking to enter the competition!||”|
|— Mod Hohbein|
Controls[edit | edit source]
The orb can be used while in the player's inventory or while equipped by selecting the "Gaze into" option or "Selfie". This will replace the user interfaces with minimal dialogue with minimal user interfaces and only the surrounding area. A guide will appear on the right of the screen showing the keys to control the orb and in the chat window in the bottom left.
The orb can be interchangeably controlled with a mouse and keyboard, or if using the NXT client, XInput-compatible controllers (Xbox 360/One and similar). However the Selfie mode only accepts input from the mouse and keyboard and is limited in how far the camera can pan from the player.
|Move the camera forward, backwards, strafe left, or strafe right, respectively. Maximum movement speed is set by a slider at the bottom of the help window; using the stick has the actual speed scaled to that maximum based on how far it is moved from neutral.|
Right triggerLeft trigger
|Move the camera up or down, respectively.|
|Middle mouse (hold)
|Rotate the camera by holding the middle middle mouse button/mouse wheel down and dragging with the mouse. Alternatively use the arrow keys or right stick. Maximum rotation speed is set by a slider at the bottom of the help window; using the mouse (or stick) has the actual speed scaled to that maximum based on how fast the mouse (or how far the stick) is moved.|
Back button/View button
|Exit the orb and return to normal gameplay.|
|Toggle the chat window.|
|Toggle the help window.|
|(Controller only) X Y||Decrease and increase the maximum movement speed, respectively. Alternatively use the mouse to set the slider.|
|(Controller only) A B||Decrease and increase the maximum rotation speed, respectively. Alternatively use the mouse to set the slider.|
Note that when the chat window is focused to type into, only a controller can be used to move around.
If the player is attacked the player will exit the orb camera mode and return to normal gameplay. The usage of the orb around aggressive non-player characters might require some form of a safe spot. If it is wielded, it will act as a two-handed item and it is not possible to attack while it is equipped.
Viewing areas[edit | edit source]
Not only is the orb of oculus used for making videos, but it is also widely used for taking a closer look at areas which players either cannot access, could formerly access but can no longer do so, or ones which are unrelated to the area the player is currently standing in and are only visited via completely different methods. There are many mysterious areas that were found using the orb of oculus, more than 100 to date, see here for a list of known hidden locations. This is because the developers place the locations for the convenience of debugging and content development rather than by their geographic location. Andrew Gower has revealed that he doesn't mind allowing players to view these areas as anything that is kept secret is not put in the game.
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Orb of oculus|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
Updates[edit | edit source]
- On 15 June 2010, the orb of oculus was given more features. This was announced in the Behind the Scenes - June. The orb can now save positions to shift to different positions with less difficulty.
- On 17 November 2014, the orb was reworked. All the modes were removed for a single mode, and the requirement to equip the orb to look through it was removed.
- On 15 May 2017, the orb's functionality was added as a right click option on the World Map icon.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 5 October 2020 (Update):
- The Freecam option has been removed when right-clicking on the Map icon while Dungeoneering. It is still available when right-clicking the Compass.
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- The sliders for Freecam's speed/rotations settings now update accordingly.
- The speed of Freecam can now go to 1,024.
8 July 2019 (
- The freecam sliders now have visible number values assigned to them.
- patch 4 September 2017 (Update):
- Players can no longer use Freecam after activating the enchanted bunny egg and other magical eggs.
- patch 7 August 2017 (Update):
- Using the Freecam option while morphed will no longer freeze the camera.
- patch 15 May 2017 (Update):
- A 'Visualise' option has been added to the Orb of Oculus, allowing you to select a Skybox and/or a filter of your choice.
- The Minigame HUD is now removed when using the Orb of Oculus.
- The Orb of Oculus can now be used in Legacy Mode.
- You can now access the Orb's Gaze and Visualise features by right clicking the World Map icon.
- patch 18 April 2016 (Update):
- The Orb of Oculus' maximum range now scales with the draw distance setting when using the NXT client.
- The Orb of Oculus can now be controlled via an Xbox controller in the NXT client.
- patch 7 March 2016 (Update):
- ninja 1 September 2015 (Update):
- Players wielding an orb of oculus will now see an option to build a training dummy in their Player-owned House formal garden.
- Players wielding an orb of oculus and speaking to an estate agent will now be able to change the Player-owned House floor to green or blue.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- An incorrect message displayed when interacting with the Orb of Oculus while resting has been removed.
- patch 27 April 2015 (Update):
- An issue with toggling always-on chat mode while gazing into the Orb of Oculus has been fixed.
- patch 30 April 2013 (Update):
- The sound effects from drag response & speed sliders in the Orb of Oculus settings have been removed.
- patch 24 April 2013 (Update):
- Some green polygons that are visible when using the orb of oculus at the Duel Arena have been removed.
- patch 8 February 2010 (Update):
- Fixed a problem with the dragon platelegs when holding the orb of oculus.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Oculus is the Latin word for "eye".
- If players Gaze-Into the orb while inside a POH, some rooms will show up as if in building mode.
- The orb appears to be held with the same technique as was used with cabbages in the 2009 April Fools, as well as the Stone of Power in the Fist of Guthix minigame.
- On 22 February, 2010 the orb was updated, making the movement much smoother.
- Although it is sold at Faruq's stall, there is no page in the Faruq's Toolonomicon about it.
- It is one of the few items that can be taken into Daemonheim. It can be sold to the Smuggler for 6 coins. Some players also find it useful to bring it while Dungeoneering, as players can view parts of the dungeon that are difficult to see normally, such as maze puzzles, and to see which doors need which keys from afar. Warning: all orbs will be deleted when you leave a dungeon.
- This item can be used to see into places players cannot yet go.
- There appears to be a glitch when attempting several agility obstacles while holding orb of oculus, one of such attempting to click on the rocks on Al Kharid Mining Area.
- When used on the Clan Citadel dance floor, the user will dance without holding the orb- even in gaze mode.
- On 22 March 2013 gazing into the orb produced a black screen. This was "Fixed" on 25 March by making a message appear when attempting to gaze into the orb, reading "This doesn't work at the moment. Sorry."
- When gazing into the orb, players can go as far as their currently chosen viewing distance, but can raise the camera as high as they wish.
- On 18 April 2016, along with the release of NXT, the orb was given the ability to be controlled by Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers as well as expanding the viewing distance from 20 - 22 squares away to however far the currently chosen viewing distance was.
- If players hold the orb, they will appear to be standing, walking and running in Legacy mode style even if they don't use it. This does not apply when in combat stance, as combat stance did not exist prior to Evolution of Combat. Wielding it in combat stance causes the orb to float near the right hand, and wielding out of combat stance causes the left hand to go inside it while the right hand does not touch it.
References[edit | edit source]
|Hide & Seek|