|Release date||13 July 2015 (Update)|
|Cooldown||120 seconds (200 ticks)|
|Assault the target with unbridled power.
|Infobox • Talk page|
Onslaught is a channelled Constitution ability, unlocked through Raids from either the untradeable Onslaught Ability Codex, or the tradeable Mazcab ability codex. Onslaught has a damage cap of 30,000 per hit.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Despite the in-game description stating 33-150% damage, Onslaught starts with a yellow visual effect and 49.5%-150% ability damage (also, 33% of 150% is 49.5%), increasing by 11-33% per hit. The user initially pays 25% adrenaline per attack. When adrenaline reaches 0-24%, the visual effect changes to orange, and the user pays with life points instead, starting with 25% of damage dealt. If a player only has 1-24% adrenaline remaining, it will both be drained and the player will still take damage.
The damage dealt to the caster is increased by 1,000 per attack past 10 hits (if the 12th attack dealt 10,000 damage, the caster paid 4,500 health). The visual effect turns orange when damage starts to be taken and red when the user's health is under 50% (does not always seem to turn red when receiving healing, even though health is under 50%).
The user does not pay for missed attacks, but missed attacks are still counted as attacks for the purposes of calculating damage increase and payment. In most situations where the target takes modified damage (a Reflecting Jellyfish takes 0% damage, and the Mahjarrat aura causes the caster to deal 105% damage) the caster receives recoil damage as if they had inflicted 100% damage to the target.
Onslaught automatically stops once the number of stacks in the buff bar reaches 25 (for a maximum total of 26 hits), even if the player still has adrenaline left.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
The ring of vigour and Invigorate auras have no effect on the adrenaline drained while using Onslaught. All attacks done by Onslaught are critical hits when that combat style is boosted by potions or prayers (e.g. Anguish or extreme ranging for Ranged; it is possible to switch on prayers mid-Onslaught to start critting), thus the buff granted by Meteor Strike, Tsunami or Incendiary Shot will grant adrenaline per attack during Onslaught - which grants 2 extra hits of Onslaught before life points are drained. For Inspiration aura, the bonus adrenaline will be immediate drained along with damage being taken on the 5th hit (i.e. the damage is not delayed). In both cases, further critical hits of Onslaught do not generate any adrenaline once recoil damage starts to be taken.
Onslaught is unaffected by Berserk, Death's Swiftness, Sunshine, Metamorphosis, and the invention perks Precise and Equilibrium, but is affected by the (superior) scrimshaw of the elements and the (superior) scrimshaw of cruelty.
Chinchompas, red chinchompas, and mechanised chinchompas will allow Onslaught to deal area of effect damage; however, adrenaline/life points will be drained for every single target hit. Additionally, a defender's special effect can reduce or negate recoil damage dealt by Onslaught.
Healing[edit | edit source]
The following will heal the user of Onslaught without interrupting the ability:
- Vampyrism aura
- Enhanced Excalibur
- Prism of Loyalty
- Great gunkan, Juju gumbo and Baron shark's passive healing effect, if eaten before casting Onslaught
- The effect of a blood necklace
- Ice Asylum, including one created by the user prior to starting Onslaught
- Both Vampyric blood essence active and passive effects, assuming the use of melee. The essence need not be activated prior to channelling Onslaught - activating during the channel works as well.
- Scrimshaw of vampyrismsup, assuming the use of melee.
- Fortitude will recover 2% of your maximum Life points every 6 seconds if active while using Onslaught, or 10% of maximum Life points if inside a bank area.
- Snowy knight applied to the user by another player
- Passive healing effect of Summoning familiars (Bunyip, Void spinner)
- Vampyre bat's Vampire Touch works, but other special moves including Bunyip's Swallow Whole, Unicorn stallion's Healing Aura, and Pack mammoth's Mammoth Feast will interrupt Onslaught
- Onyx bakriminel bolts (e) heal for the same amount the onslaught damage would have dealt to the player on the hit.
The following will have no effect or will interrupt the ability:
- Soul Split will not heal the user, including damage over time effects (e.g. Corruption Shot) set prior to using Onslaught.
- Intercept will not transfer damage
- Drinking potions or eating food will interrupt the channel
- Soul Link will not split recoil damage, and being healed via Soul Link stops Onslaught
- Immortality and Sign of life will revive players killed by the recoil damage, and a phoenix necklace will heal them when they fall below 20% maximum life points, but Onslaught will be interrupted
- Portents of restoration will not be activated by Onslaught's recoil damage
- Ring of life will teleport players when they fall below 10% maximum health
- Being healed by Heal Other will interrupt the channel
- Being healed by a calorie bomb interrupts the channel, even if deployed by another player
Update history[edit | edit source]
- hotfix 28 July 2021:
- patch 8 February 2021 (Update):
- Player movement will no longer be delayed when trying to move during a channelled combat ability.
- coldfix 5 December 2017 (Update):
- The onslaught buff icon now disappears after dying with the ability active.
- patch 20 March 2017 (Update):
- patch 1 February 2016 (Update):
- Onslaught is now cancelled if the player activates a constitution crystal within the Fight Kiln.
- patch 14 December 2015 (Update):
- The damage dealt to you when performing the Surging Onslaught ability has been modified.
- The overload drain when performing the Surging Onslaught ability has been removed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Until 14 December 2015, once adrenaline was drained, Onslaught would drain overload timers as well as life points.
- Until the above update, Onslaught dealt recoil damage equal to half the player's remaining life points with a minimum of 1,000 per hit. When used with chinchompas, if at least two targets are hit, it will damage the player by half of their health twice at the same time, killing the player instantly.
- On release, a glitch involving the inspiration aura, which gives a small amount of adrenaline with every successful hit, was found. As Onslaught hits once every time it drains adrenaline, the player would gain a small amount of adrenaline every time it fell to 0 and therefore the ability would continue to go on without ever draining lifepoints.
- Another glitch on release allowed users to use the Redemption, along with the Penance aura, in order to achieve an unlimited duration of Onslaught by preventing death. It is no longer possible as Redemption now has a 1 minute cooldown.
- A third glitch causes players using Onslaught to be stuck in the animation upon interrupting the channel. This has yet to be fixed but a player can simply move to get out of it.
- If using Onslaught while the player in the middle of movement, Onslaught will initiate then be immediately interrupted by the player's movement after just one strike. 25% adrenaline will be drained for the one successful hit. The buff bar would keep displaying 1 stack of Onslaught even if you aren't using it any more.
- During development and in the news post, this ability was called Surging Onslaught. This can still be seen by attempting to use the ability (if it was accessed through a shared ability bar for instance) without it unlocked, giving the chat message: "You have not unlocked Surging Onslaught yet. You can unlock it by getting it as a drop in raids or buying it from another player."
- Onslaught is potentially the strongest ability in terms of ability damage, maximising at 975%. However, the likelihood of this happening is extremely low.
References[edit | edit source]
|Abilities and unlocks|