|Olaf's Quest (#123)|
|Release date||10 April 2007 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Anthony W|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Olaf's Quest is a quest about the unfortunate Fremennik Olaf Hradson, whose boat has crashed, rendering him unable to find his grandfather's treasure. You must help him find it and make sure his family do not find out about his failure.
Official description[edit | edit source]
Poor Olaf Hradson. He has to live up to such expectations. His ancestors sailed all over the world, and now he has to go out and prove himself their equal. If only he could read a map... If only he could sail... If only he hadn't crashed! Can you help a depressed and soggy Fremennik regain his pride, and possibly the lost treasure of his grandfather?
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Short to Medium|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat|
Family Honour[edit | edit source]
Talk to Olaf Hradson, who is north-east of Rellekka at the eastern rock crab spot, and he will tell you about his attempt to live up to his family's reputation by becoming an expert explorer. Although he failed miserably, he wants to liven up his family's spirits and asks you to deliver some special carvings to them. Unfortunately, he only has damp wood on him, so he directs you to the windswept tree up the mountain path to the east, from which you could obtain some dry wood.
Go up the hill and cut the windswept tree with any axe to get windswept logs. If snowflakes are falling at your screen, you're on the right path. Once you bring the logs back, Olaf will make a bowl for you to take to his wife and a plank to give his son back in Rellekka.
The Windswept Tree[edit | edit source]
Olaf Hradson's wife, Ingrid Hradson, is found wandering around the well, just south-east of the long hall in Rellekka. After you give her the bowl, Ingrid will give you a loaf of bread in return for your troubles.
Go back to Olaf Hradson and you notice that the fire that he had made to keep himself warm, has burned out and he is shivering in the cold. Talk to him and he will hand you some damp wood and request you to light a fire. Use the damp planks and a tinderbox on the firepit and talk to him again.
After deciding whether or not to give him the food (he will only take the first piece of food in your inventory), he will give you Sven's last map. The X on the map is coincidentally right next to the windswept tree that you visited earlier. Be aware that, if dialogue is ended between feeding Olaf and receiving the map, such as by being attacked by a nearby Rock Crab, you will have to restart the dialogue and feed Olaf again.
Brine Rat Cavern[edit | edit source]
Now is the time to get your armour and supplies to deal with a level 49 monster. Pick up the spade right next to Olaf. Dig beside the windswept tree and prepare to fall into the Brine Rat Cavern. Keep your spade, because if you fall off the bridge below, you will need it to get back in here.
Continue along the east path to a wall. The picture wall requires a puzzle to be solved in order to unlock. The puzzle is quite simple: rotate the pieces to create a skull. The four levers each control two bone pieces.
- The solution for this puzzle is: RIGHT (once), UP (once), LEFT (once), BOTTOM (once).
When finished, "pull" the "confirm" lever on the bottom-right. If the skull is not in the right position when clicking "confirm", a rock will swing out of the wall, causing 30 damage. You do not need to re-solve the puzzle if you exit the dungeon from this point onward.
After crossing into the larger room to the north, you will find some rope, rotten barrels, and several skeleton fremennik.
Resilience[edit | edit source]
Take two barrels and six ropes from the piles around the room. With these supplies, head to the northeast corner of the room, where there will be a rickety-looking bridge. Before stepping on the bridge it is highly recommended to take a dose of Agility potion to decrease the chances of falling. Crossing the bridge disables running and a message appears in the chat stating "You can't run on this walkway – it's far, far too slippery." and you may fall.
Use a barrel on the empty parts of the walkway to get across (the Surge or Escape abilities cannot be used here). Repeat this step on the next empty spot. Failure results in being swept away a bit north of Olaf, above ground. This can be a very frustrating exercise for players without a high Agility level, although the chance of success is increased by 2.4% every time the player fails. Move one spot at a time to help avoid falling off. If you fail to cross the bridge after you repair it, you will not need to repair it again.
The gate in the middle of the walkway has a lock — it must be matched with the key handle you obtained from killing the skeleton, as there will be 6 different types of key handles. Click on the correct shape to open the door — the key will disappear. A skeleton fremennik can be killed to receive another key if necessary.
If you fall off after you unlock the door, you must get another key, as the door won't stay unlocked.
Ulfric[edit | edit source]
To commence the fight, attempt to open the chest in the middle of the old longboat-wreck. A level 49 skeleton fremennik named Ulfric will appear. He uses melee, so Protect from Melee is highly effective in order to block most of Ulfric's attacks; alternatively use the safe spot at the grave where he appears to range or mage him. There are also some good spots to use a halberd successfully. His low hitting and inaccurate attacks make this an easy boss fight.
Ulfric will teleport if you end up on one side of the longboat wreck with him on the other side. He will yell "No escape, outlander!" when he teleports.
After killing Ulfric, open the chest again with 5 empty inventory slots, and the quest will be completed.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 12,000 experience
- 20,000 coins
- 4 cut rubies
- Access to the Brine Rat Cavern where you can kill brine rats (requires level 47 Slayer)
- A piece of parchment telling you of other shipwrecks with more treasure. Content following up on this teaser has yet to be released.
- A shark and/or bread
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Olaf's Quest ( 0) – Complete this Intermediate quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Olaf's Quest is not currently required for any quests or miniquests.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 April 2012 (Update):
- Olaf's Quest reward now checks for the correct amount of inventory space.
- patch 7 February 2012 (Update):
- A spade has been placed to allow players to dig with a spade in a toolbelt as part of Olaf's quest.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When the quest was first released the slippery bridge towards the end of the quest was so hard that Jagex made the bridge slightly easier the next day, due to numerous complaints.
- Failing the bridge normally results in whatever you had in your hands being placed in your inventory, but if you don't have enough room your items will not be unequipped and you will still wash up outside the cave, with no additional ill effects.
- Upon the completion of this quest, one's Adventurer's Log will read: "I fought and puzzled my way through the brine rat caves to help Olaf Hradson live up to his great ancestors."
- After you give Olaf the logs, he will tell you to give a carving to his son Volf. He will tell you that kids love planks in his experience. This may be a reference to the show 'Ed Edd n' Eddy' where a kid named Jonny has a plank for a best friend.
- When you give the crude carving to Ingrid, your character will say "Enjoy your Obscurian Tribal Artifact (tm). It has a million-and-one uses!" which may be a reference to the Poison Salesman.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 28 December 2020. (Archived from the original on 30 December 2020.) Mod Ash: "At level 1 Agility, the first time they try a slippery bit, the success chance is 33.3%. At level 99 Agility, it starts at 117.6% (guaranteed pass). Interpolate linearly between those. Every time they fail, this increases by +2.4%, i.e. the level 1 player gets 35.7%, 38.1%, etc."
|Related to the Fremennik quest series|