The Odd Old Man (real name: Archibald Paldock) starts the Rag and Bone Man quest and, afterwards, the Fur 'n Seek quest. He collects bones, furs, teeth, and similar items for what was previously an unknown purpose. The bone sack on his back appears to talk to him and tell him what to say. He says he works for the Varrock Museum, bringing stuffed creatures to put on display, but his phrasing suggests he is misleading the player, to hide the real reason why he wants these items.
The Odd Old man gives you either a bonesack or ram skull helm when you have completed the Rag and Bone Man wish list, and enhances them after completion of the Fur 'n Seek wish list.
He is located at the Silvarea mining site, north-east of Varrock.
Players doing Treasure Trail clues are sometimes directed to him with the anagram 'Land Doomd' and are given a puzzle box.
After completing the wish list from the Fur 'n Seek quest, it is revealed that the old man had found the remains of a powerful, undead, mind-controlling skeletal horror and carried them in the sack on his back for over 10 years, and the bones collected by the player during the quests and wish lists were needed to construct the beast. It is also revealed that he used the furs from Fur 'n Seek to make himself a new outfit. The player then defeats the Skeletal Horror, freeing the Odd Old Man from its control. Afterwards, the old man sets about rebuilding the monster for "research purposes" and invites the player to return once a week to ensure the beast is kept under control.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 8 May 2018 (Update):
- Added some missing textures to the tiles around beacon next to Odd Old Man.
- patch 9 April 2018 (Update):
- The Odd Old Man clue scroll will now be prioritised when the rotten journal is obtained and destroyed
- patch 16 May 2011 (Update):
- The Odd Old Man no longer stretches when stroking his beard.
The Odd Old Man's current location
- His name is most likely a reference to Captain Haddock (whose full name is Archibald Haddock) from the Tintin comic series.
- After completing the wish list following the Rag and Bone Man quest, the list will have "Non-chafing Manacles" written on it. After completing the Wishlist following the Fur 'n Seek quest, you may speak to the Odd Old Man to get an explanation about this.
- The Odd Old Man could be a reference to an urban legend about an escaped mental patient called 'The Body Dismemberer' who carried a large, lumpy bag. He would mutter to himself and claim that the bones in his bag "made him do it."
- Fortunato appears to revere the man; when approached over buying vinegar, he becomes enraged at the thought he might carry it until you mention that you were sent to him. After learning that it was Paldock who sent you, he becomes highly respectful, and calls you "lordship" upon return trips.