Obsidian shards are items dropped by the TokHaar monsters within the Fight Cauldron, which is accessible after completion of The Brink of Extinction. The shards are rewarded after leaving the Cauldron, in an amount based on your performance.
With 80 Smithing, players may smelt obsidian shards into obsidian bars at any furnace; 12 shards are needed to produce 1 bar. This grants 50 Smithing experience per bar. The bars may then be used at an anvil to smith obsidian armour, powerful high-level armour that is exceptionally useful against TzHaar and TokHaar monsters. 228 shards are required to complete the full armour set.
The shards can also be used to repair any obsidian armour the player has equipped, at a rate of 100 charges per shard. The armour to be repaired must first be worn, before using the shards.
698 (wrong?) obsidian shards (equal to the current Runedate divided by 10) are also needed in order to find TzHaar-Ga'al-Kot, which is one of the requirements for obtaining the master quest cape.
With Tier 90 Mage weapons, you can expect to get around 500 shards per hour on average.
- This list was created dynamically, and shows the first 100 items alphabetically.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
- For an exhaustive list of items, click here.
TokHaar monsters outside of the Fight Cauldron do not drop obsidian shards.
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- ^ a b c d e f g h There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 2 March 2015 (Update):
- Using an obsidian shard on undamaged obsidian armour will now only display one message.
- patch 18 March 2013 (Update):
- You can now use the Superheat Item spell on an obsidian shard stack to smelt an obsidian bar without the need of a furnace.
- It is now possible to use an obsidian shard stack on a piece of armour in inventory repair it (100 charges per shard). If the armour is even partially damaged, a shard will be consumed. A Repair op has been added to the obsidian shard stack, for convenient repair of worn armour during combat. The item with the least charges will be repaired first, then the next most degraded item until either all worn pieces are fully charged or the player runs out of shards.
- Players no longer need to collect dropped obsidian shards during the fight. A number of obsidian shards are now awarded upon leaving the Fight Cauldron. This quantity is halved if the player dies in the Fight Cauldron.
- The number of obsidian shards awarded by the TokHaar-Yt'MejKot and TokHaar-Ket-Zek has been increased, to better suit their difficulty.
- 228 obsidian shards, or 19 bars worth, are needed to produce a full set of obsidian armour, an obsidian shield and all three helmets. (Or 264 shards, equalling 22 bars if, for some reason, you want to make both the platelegs and plateskirt.)