Obsidian shards are items used to create obsidian armour. They are dropped by the TokHaar monsters within the Fight Cauldron, which is accessible after completion of The Brink of Extinction. The shards are rewarded after leaving the Cauldron, in an amount based on your performance. The reward is halved if you die as opposed to leaving.
Obsidian shards are also required for the Wandering Ga'al miniquest. The number required is equal to the current Runedate divided by 10, which is currently 742 obsidian shards (wrong?). The miniquest is a requirement for the master quest cape.
Obsidian shards can be smelted into obsidian bars at any furnace (requires 80 Smithing, gives 50 Smithing experience per bar). 12 shards are needed to produce 1 bar. The bars may then be used at an anvil to smith obsidian armour, powerful high-level armour that is exceptionally useful against TzHaar and TokHaar monsters. 228 shards (19 bars) are required to complete the full armour set.
The shards can also be used to repair obsidian armour, at a rate of 100 charges per shard. The armour to be repaired must first be equipped, before using the shards.
This is an auto-generated list (update now
), and shows the first 100 items alphabetically. For all items, click here
TokHaar monsters outside of the Fight Cauldron do not drop obsidian shards. With Tier 90 Mage weapons, you can expect to get around 500 shards per hour on average.
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- ^ a b c d e f g h There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 2 March 2015 (Update):
- Using an obsidian shard on undamaged obsidian armour will now only display one message.
- patch 18 March 2013 (Update):
- You can now use the Superheat Item spell on an obsidian shard stack to smelt an obsidian bar without the need of a furnace.
- It is now possible to use an obsidian shard stack on a piece of armour in inventory repair it (100 charges per shard). If the armour is even partially damaged, a shard will be consumed. A Repair op has been added to the obsidian shard stack, for convenient repair of worn armour during combat. The item with the least charges will be repaired first, then the next most degraded item until either all worn pieces are fully charged or the player runs out of shards.
- Players no longer need to collect dropped obsidian shards during the fight. A number of obsidian shards are now awarded upon leaving the Fight Cauldron. This quantity is halved if the player dies in the Fight Cauldron.
- The number of obsidian shards awarded by the TokHaar-Yt'MejKot and TokHaar-Ket-Zek has been increased, to better suit their difficulty.
- 228 obsidian shards, or 19 bars worth, are needed to produce a full set of obsidian armour, an obsidian shield and all three helmets. (Or 264 shards, equalling 22 bars if, for some reason, you want to make both the platelegs and plateskirt.)