The obsidian platebody is part of the untradeable and degradable obsidian armour set. It requires 60 Defence to wear, and can be made by smithing five obsidian bars, requiring 80 Smithing. Obsidian bars are made by smelting obsidian shards, which in turn are dropped by monsters in the Fight Cauldron.
In addition to its defensive bonuses, it provides a 14% reduction to damage from creatures and players in TzHaar City.
When used with the rest of the obsidian armour and either a melee, ranged or magic helmet, it will increase your accuracy by 10%, very similar to the Void Knight equipment.
The obsidian platebody degrades after 4,000 hits, similar to the Tokkul-zo. Once it fully degrades it cannot be reused, and a new platebody must be smithed. However, it can be repaired before full degradation with obsidian shards by using the shards while wearing the armour to be repaired, at a rate of 100 charges per shard.
Outside of the TzHaar city, it does not degrade, or retain any of these bonuses.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 28 March 2022 (Update):
- Updated the messaging that appears on obsidian armour when inspected. It now states the correct degrade chance while in Zuk's arena.
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- Obsidian armour's damage reduction has been increased to restore its effectiveness in TzHaar minigames. (The damage reduction is still only applied in the TzHaar City and connected areas.)
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now effective against any damage taken while inside the TzHaar volcano, not just NPC attacks.
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now displayed on object tooltips.
- The chance for obsidian armour to degrade has been changed. It no longer degrades outside of TzHaar areas, has a 50% chance to degrade inside, and that chance is reduced to 20% when under the effect of a TokKul donation coffer buff.
- The cost of the obsidian armour buff in the Fight Cauldron has been halved, to 15,000 TokKul.
- update 30 April 2013 (Update):
- The armour no longer triples damage taken when fighting in PvP or PvM.
- patch 18 March 2013:
- The armour stats for obsidian armour has been increased from level 60 to level 80.