This article is about the degradable multi-class kiteshield. For the non-degradable melee shield, see Toktz-ket-xil
The obsidian kiteshield is part of the untradeable and degradable obsidian armour set. It requires 60 Defence to wear, and can be made by smithing three obsidian bars, requiring 80 Smithing. Obsidian bars are made by smelting obsidian shards, which in turn are dropped by monsters in the Fight Cauldron.
In addition to its defensive bonuses, it provides a 10% reduction to damage from creatures and players in TzHaar City.
When used with the rest of the obsidian armour and either a melee, ranged or magic helmet, it will increase your accuracy by 10%, very similar to the Void Knight equipment.
The obsidian kiteshield degrades after 4000 hits. Once it fully degrades it cannot be reused, and a new kiteshield must be smithed. However, it can be repaired before full degradation with obsidian shards by using the shards while wearing the armour to be repaired, at a rate of 100 charges per shard.
Outside of the TzHaar city, it does not degrade, or retain any of these bonuses.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 30 November 2020 (Update):
- You will no longer be disqualified from the 'TokHaar-Mok' Achievement if you attack TokHaar-Hok with a degraded Obsidian Kiteshield equipped.
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- Obsidian armour's damage reduction has been increased to restore its effectiveness in TzHaar minigames. (The damage reduction is still only applied in the TzHaar City and connected areas.)
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now effective against any damage taken while inside the TzHaar volcano, not just NPC attacks.
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now displayed on object tooltips.
- The chance for obsidian armour to degrade has been changed. It no longer degrades outside of TzHaar areas, has a 50% chance to degrade inside, and that chance is reduced to 20% when under the effect of a TokKul donation coffer buff.
- The cost of the obsidian armour buff in the Fight Cauldron has been halved, to 15,000 TokKul.