The obsidian gloves are part of untradeable and degradable obsidian armour set. They require 60 Defence to wear, and can be made by smithing one obsidian bar, requiring 80 Smithing. Obsidian bars are made by smelting obsidian shards, which in turn are dropped by monsters in the Fight Cauldron.
They provide a 5% reduction to damage from creatures and players in TzHaar City.
When used with the rest of the obsidian armour and either an melee, ranged or magic helmet, it will increase your accuracy by 10%, very similar to the Void Knight equipment.
The obsidian gloves degrade after 4,000 hits. Once they fully degrade they cannot be reused, and new gloves must be smithed. However, they can be repaired before full degradation with obsidian shards by using the shards while wearing the armour to be repaired, at a rate of 100 charges per shard.
Outside of the TzHaar city, it does not degrade, or retain any of these bonuses.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- Obsidian armour's damage reduction has been increased to restore its effectiveness in TzHaar minigames. (The damage reduction is still only applied in the TzHaar City and connected areas.)
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now effective against any damage taken while inside the TzHaar volcano, not just NPC attacks.
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now displayed on object tooltips.
- The chance for obsidian armour to degrade has been changed. It no longer degrades outside of TzHaar areas, has a 50% chance to degrade inside, and that chance is reduced to 20% when under the effect of a TokKul donation coffer buff.
- The cost of the obsidian armour buff in the Fight Cauldron has been halved, to 15,000 TokKul.