Obsidian equipment is a group of TzHaar weapons and armour from TzHaar City that is members only. To wield obsidian weaponry and armoury, the player must have at least level 60 Attack, Strength, Magic, Ranged or Defence, except the cape, which has no requirements. The Obsidian armour set is untradeable and is made by Smithing obsidian bars, which can only be acquired by playing the Fight Cauldron minigame after the quest The Brink of Extinction.
Information[edit | edit source]
To obtain the obsidian armour set, the player must smith the components using Obsidian bars, which they must make themselves by smelting Obsidian shards from the Fight Cauldron Minigame, available after completion of "The Brink of Extinction" quest.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
To obtain obsidian weapons, a player can either:
- Buy the items from the weapon shop in TzHaar for Tokkul.
- Buy from the Grand Exchange or trade with players.
- Obtain them as a rare monster drop in the TzHaar City.
- TzHaar whip is a Treasure Hunter reward. If the associated promotion is not currently active, it may not be obtainable.
Capes[edit | edit source]
To obtain the fire cape:
- Defeat TzTok-Jad at the end of the TzHaar Fight Cave, although this item is technically not obsidian.
To obtain the TokHaar-Kal-Ket:
- Complete the Fight Kiln, having dealt the majority of your damage with Melee.
To obtain the TokHaar-Kal-Mej:
- Complete the Fight Kiln, having dealt the majority of your damage with Magic.
To obtain the TokHaar-Kal-Xil:
- Complete the Fight Kiln, having dealt the majority of your damage with Ranged.
Armour[edit | edit source]
Obsidian armour is an untradeable armour set of the All class that requires level 60 Defence to equip. Although the armour requires 60 defence to equip, the Brink of Extinction quest is required to be completed in order to obtain obsidian shards to forge the bars that make and repair it. The quest has a defence level requirement of 80, effectively serving as a preliminary requirement for the armour. It is player-made from obsidian bars and requires 80 Smithing for the full set. The obsidian bars are made from obsidian shards, and can be gathered by killing opponents in the Fight Cauldron minigame, which requires completion of the Brink of Extinction quest.
Special effect[edit | edit source]
Obsidian armour works as standard non-degradable All-classed gear on the surface world, but it degrades and offers special effects in the TzHaar city and its three minigames. It will heavily reduce all damage taken there, including damage from other players (PvP in the TzHaar Fight Pit). This damage reduction is cumulative of each armour piece, for a reduction of 55% when wearing the entire set and 45% without the kiteshield. One can receive a further 10% reduction by donating TokKul at the Fight Cauldron, which will also reduce the rate of degradation (see below). The effect lasts for 20 minutes, and one may donate up to three times to extend the duration to a whole hour.
All pieces of armour have an initial 4000 charges before being completely degraded. They have a chance to lose charge from any hit taken in the TzHaar city.
|Area used in||Degrade chance|
|Normal Gielinor surface world||0% with each hit|
|All TzHaar and TokHaar areas||50% with each hit|
|TzHaar and TokHaar areas + Tokkul donation||20% with each hit|
To repair the armour, one may earn more shards from the Fight Cauldron and use them on the set. Without any donations, the armour can last on average for at least 20 plays of the Fight Kiln before degrading completely.
Repairing[edit | edit source]
Obsidian armour can be repaired at any time by using obsidian shards (not bars) on the pieces, or by left-clicking the shards to repair all equipped armour. Each shard will repair 100 charges out of 4000. Repair costs are shared across all items; charges are not wasted if an item has less than 100 charges to replenish, because it will use the spare charges to repair another item. Repairing obsidian armour does not require the smithing level needed to create each corresponding item.
A full repair on any item costs 40 shards. So it is more expensive to repair all items than to replace them—except the platebody. 12 shards/1 bar to make gloves vs 40 shards to repair. Be careful not to accidentally repair all when attempting to smith shards. A single click on shards will instantly consume them in repairs if you are wearing obsidian armour.
|Image||Item||Level required||required||required||Exp Gained||Damage absorbed in the TzHaar city||Degrades After (Hits)|
|Full set total
(either skirt or legs, but all three helms)
There is no "All" obsidian helmet, but instead a classed helmet for each combat style. They are the obsidian warrior helm, obsidian ranger helm and obsidian mage helm. A helm increases accuracy against obsidian creatures by 10% in its respective attack style. The helms will also act as a slayer helmet when on a TzHaar task, increasing your damage by 12.5% and your accuracy by 12.5%.
Equipment bonuses[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 March 2015 (Update):
- Using an obsidian shard on undamaged obsidian armour will now only display one message.
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- Obsidian armour's damage reduction has been increased to restore its effectiveness in TzHaar minigames. (The damage reduction is still only applied in the TzHaar City and connected areas.)
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now effective against any damage taken while inside the TzHaar volcano, not just NPC attacks.
- Obsidian armour damage reduction is now displayed on object tooltips.
- The chance for obsidian armour to degrade has been changed. It no longer degrades outside of TzHaar areas, has a 50% chance to degrade inside, and that chance is reduced to 20% when under the effect of a TokKul donation coffer buff.
- The cost of the obsidian armour buff in the Fight Cauldron has been halved, to 15,000 TokKul.
- patch 30 April 2013 (Update):
- You can now store obsidian armour in the PoH armour case. A piece must be fully repaired to be stored.
- patch 16 April 2013 (Update):
- When obsidian armour is fully repaired using obsidian shards, the (deg) object is now replaced with the original pristine object, so it will stack in the bank.
- patch 18 March 2013 (Update):
- Charges for all obsidian armour pieces have been increased to 4,000.
- It is now possible to use an obsidian shard stack on a piece of armour in inventory repair it (100 charges per shard). If the armour is even partially damaged, a shard will be consumed. A Repair op has been added to the obsidian shard stack, for convenient repair of worn armour during combat. The item with the least charges will be repaired first, then the next most degraded item until either all worn pieces are fully charged or the player runs out of shards.
- The armour stats for obsidian armour has been increased from level 60 to level 80.
- The requirement to smith the full obsidian armour set has been reduced from 90 Smithing to 85 Smithing. Assisting is permitted.
- Hits from TzHaar City NPCs now have a 1 in 2 chance of degrading the armour, so on average durability has increased 50%.
- Obsidian helms now feature the benefit of slayer helms that increases effectiveness against the slayer target. This bonus only applies when the slayer target is a TzHaar City NPC.
- The three obsidian helms now bestow class-specific combat triangle defences, like void helmets do.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The armour used to have level 80 stats, and used to make the wearer take 3x damage outside of TzHaar and TokHaar areas. However, in a later update, its stats were lowered to level 60 and the damage multiplier removed when it became a standard "All" set.
- The Brink of Extinction's newspost said 90 smithing was required to create a full armour set from obsidian shards when only 85 Smithing was required for the highest levelled piece, the platebody.
- As of the Mining & Smithing Rework Update of January 7, 2019, all pieces of the Obsidian armour set only require 80 Smithing in order to create.