|Observatory Quest (#43)|
|Release date||17 March 2003 (Update)|
|Start area||Kandarin South|
|Combat||NPC combat level 20–29|
|Quest create ID||81|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
The Observatory in south-west Ardougne has been ransacked by a family of nearby goblins.
Can you help the professors to rebuild it?
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to the observatory professor in the observatory north of Castle Wars. Show on map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
Ruination[edit | edit source]
Teleport to Yanille, then walk west to the building north of the observatory (north of Castle Wars) and talk to the professor in the reception. Bring up the observatory and you'll be informed that the observatory telescope is broken. He explains that the houses up on the hill outside have been occupied by unruly goblins who have caused him nothing but stress.
The professor asks for your help, the idea presented by his assistant, in rebuilding the telescope. When you agree, he'll ask you to get some materials for the telescope parts.
First, he asks you to provide him with 3 wooden planks for the telescope base. He says to talk to his assistant if you need help, but you don't need to in order to continue. Talk to the professor to give him the planks. Next, give him a bronze bar for the tube and some molten glass for the lens. To make the lens into an exact shape and size, you'll need a lens mould which, unfortunately, the goblins have stolen.
A goblin horde[edit | edit source]
Leave the house and head east to one of the abandoned buildings. If you didn't bring an antipoison, there is a super antipoison (1) respawn in the south-eastern building.
Climb down the stairs in the west building to arrive in a maze-like dungeon, which is littered with chests throughout it. One of these chests contains the goblin kitchen key - its location is random for each player - while the others hold a single dose of anti-poison, a level 15 poison spider, or simply nothing.
Run to every dead end and search the chests. Go through the dialogue until you find and obtain the kitchen key. Once you do, head to the sleeping guard guarding the kitchen to the north. Prod him awake, and he'll turn into a level 28 goblin guard. You can either kill him or lure him far enough from the gate to get into the kitchen. Inspect the goblin stove there to find the lens mould, which the goblins were apparently using for cooking.
Stellar[edit | edit source]
Head back to the professor with the mould and he'll instruct you on making a telescope lens; simply use the molten glass on the lens mould. Talk to the professor again and he will ask you to meet him at the other side of the observatory.
Go back down in to the goblin dungeon and follow the path south until you can go up the stairs. Speak to the professor and watch the long cut-scene of him fixing the telescope. Finally, go up the stairs and talk to the professor again, who tells you to have a look through the telescope and note the constellation that you see.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 2,250 experience lamp
- Depending on the astrological sign you see through the telescope, you will receive one of these items:
- An uncut sapphire (Aquarius, Aries, Cancer, Capricorn, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Scorpio, Taurus, Virgo, Pisces)
- About 25 Water runes (Aquarius)
- Amulet of defence (Cancer)
- Black two-handed sword (Gemini)
- 3 Law runes (Libra)
- 3 Fish pies or 3 Tunas (Pisces)
- Maple shieldbow (Sagittarius)
- Weapon poison (Scorpio)
- Super strength potion (1) (Taurus)
- You can talk to Historian Minas at the Varrock Museum to receive 5 Kudos.
- Ability to use 'Chipped' Watchtower teleport after also completing Evil Dave's Big Day Out.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Additional rewards/activities
Should a player look through the telescope again after the quest is completed, they will see the Scorpio constellation. The Observatory professor will suggest going to see his assistant. Upon speaking to the assistant, who reveals that his name is Patrick, he'll thank you for having made his life easier and give you a jug of wine.
He also mentions a book on the nearby table named 'The book of astronomy', which speaks of Scorpius' grave. Travel past the abandoned buildings, and keep going north until you see some level 28 ghosts near the entrance of the Ourania runecrafting altar. The Spirit of Scorpius is located in this area with the ghosts; after a brief conversation, it will give you an unholy mould and tell you to return when you are worthy. With the mould, a ball of wool and a silver bar, make an unholy symbol and return to the grave so that Scorpius can bless it.
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Observatory Quest ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- Unholy Crafting ( 5) – Unlock the ability to craft unholy symbols.
- Scorpvino ( 5) – Claim a jug of wine from the Observatory assistant after 'Observatory Quest'.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Observatory Quest is not currently required for any quests or miniquests.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Art & Graphics|
|Graphics||Anthony A, Mod Joe, John S, Mod Neil|
|Quality assurance||Chris E, Martin I|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 10 September 2018 (Update):
- After completing Observatory Quest, players have access to a quicker way to get back into the observatory.
- ninja 11 June 2018 (Update):
- patch 8 May 2018 (Update):
- patch 21 January 2013 (Update):
- It is once again possible to attack the Sleeping goblin during the Observatory quest.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The entrance to the dungeon used to be at the observatory. It has since been moved in an update and is now located on the hill.