Nihil, properly called Zarytes, are a race of powerful beings that were created by the god Zaros through weaving the living essence of other races. There are four varieties of nihil, each created from a specific race and attuned to one of the four elements of the Ancient Magicks. They are fought as bosses on Freneskae during Fate of the Gods.
After the quest, players can return to Frenesake and repeat the boss fight, or fight them for slayer and combat training. In order to harm the nihils outside of the boss fight, the player must have a Slayer level of 76. They may be assigned as a slayer task by paying 50 Slayer points, which can then be toggled on and off; however, the player must repay this fee if they wish to resume getting more nihil tasks without blocking them. The Shard of Zaros will keep the nihil tolerant; without it, nihil will be aggressive towards the player.
Nihil encountered during the boss fight and repeat are significantly stronger than the post-quest variants, possessing a charge attack and a "Nothing" weakness with high defence and low affinity. The post-quest variants are far weaker, lacking the charge attack (though they still retain their combat properties), have varied affinity values and also possess weaknesses making them far easier to fight.
Nihil have a generous drop table and are primarily killed for their components, which are used to create nihil familiars, powerful Summoning creatures that are able to increase the player's accuracy by 5%. This makes the familiars useful at bosses with high Defence and low affinity, such as Vorago and Telos. They can also drop the Zaryte bow, but at a massively reduced rate compared to Nex.
History[edit | edit source]
The nihil were created as part of Zaros' attempt to combat the infertility of the Ilujanka, also known as the Dragon Riders, by manipulating and weaving around their living essence. Zaros did not have enough power to manipulate their essence and restore their ability to procreate, so he returned to Freneskae to harvest energy from his creator, the elder god, Mah.
Once on Freneskae, Zaros reformed the essence of icyene, demons, aviansie and vampyres into the nihil, which he brought to life using Mah's energy; as an elder god's divinity was the only way to create life from nothingness. As he required Mah's energy to give life to the nihil, Zaros considered them and himself a failure, and he abandoned them on Freneskae. What happened to the nihil after this is largely unknown.
The Fallen Nihil appears to be one if not the only earliest known nihil subject, who claims that Zaros tortured him in the depths of Freneskae while searching for a cure for the Illujanka. The fallen nihil is significantly different from the other nihil, as the present nihil appear to be all female, while the fallen nihil is a male. The fallen nihil's past is mostly unknown, but he eventually came into the service of the Queen of Ashes and served as her envoy. Whether his increased size and intelligence came from Zaros or the Queen of Ashes remains unknown.
One of the nihil grew much quicker than the rest, which caught Zaros' attention. Zaros decided to give this nihil a fragment of his consciousness in order to prevent the remaining nihil from destroying her for being different. She learned quickly from Zaros and took the Infernal language name of Nex for herself. Nex proved to be one of Zaros' most powerful and loyal servants.
Known nihil[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
These nihil are found in the Pit (option 3 entering the World Gate tuned to Freneskae).
- Blood nihil special attack - blood barrage - damage heals
- Ice nihil special attack - ice barrage - freezes
- Shadow nihil special attack - shadow barrage - 500 x 3 damage
- Smoke nihil special attack - smoke barrage - drains combat stats
Familiars[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zaros was to originally refer to the race as Zarytes, but chose nihil - meaning 'nothing' in Infernal - due to them 'meaning nothing to him'.
- According to Mod Rowley, nihil have adapted to survive on Freneskae after they were abandoned, likely by consuming muspah.
- For a while when fighting nihil in the Pit for combat/Slayer, four nihil initially spawned (all four types), and a glitch/bug in the game continually decreased the spawn rate of the nihil by one until no more nihil could be spawned. Jagex fixed this by adding more nihil to the Pit.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for these monsters was 124,900 kills.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Zaros, "Freneskae", RuneScape. "I have pushed the limits of my own abilities, reforming the essence of other races into new beings... but to give them life required Mah's energy. As such, they are a failure, only proving of what I am incapable."
- ^ Zaros, "Freneskae", RuneScape. "One of these nihil - originally shunned - has fast outgrown the rest. I have chosen to uplift her. To do so, I had to implant a small sliver of my being. The irony of this is not lost on me. I am not proud of this, but to leave her as she was would have seen the other nihil destroy her. With her newfound sentience, she has named herself Nex in the old Infernal tongue. Her speed and capability for learning are astounding. Although Nex will prove useful in bringing unity to the world, this entire experiment has only gone to prove my unworthiness."
- ^ Mod Slayer. "Fate of the Gods - FAQ." 25 March 2014. Recent Game Updates Forums. Mod Rowley: "...Since being abandoned they have probably learned how to propagate...I can envisage nihil have learned to hunt muspah for their energy, in order to create more of themselves."
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*