A player rubs the necklace to turn into a salamander.
The necklace of Salamancy is an item obtainable after completing the Extinction quest. There is a 1/500 chance to receive the necklace when rolling for materials while training at the skilling stations in the Dream of Iaia.
The necklace grants extra bonuses against Slayer dinosaurs and the Rex Matriarchs:
- A 15% accuracy and damage buff while fighting a dinosaur-type enemy.
- A 3% drop rarity boost from dinosaurs and the Rex Matriarchs.
The bonuses currently do not work against Raksha, the Shadow Colossus.
Additionally, the necklace can be rubbed to shrink the player into a yellow salamander's body. Unlike most other transformation items and emotes, players can walk and run around as a salamander nearly anywhere in RuneScape. Any sort of object/NPC interaction will transform the player back, like fighting, skilling, or even opening doors, to which the player must wait a few seconds before transforming again. Players cannot transform with the necklace in the Wilderness.
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- ^ There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 9 May 2022 (Update):
- The Necklace of Salamancy is no longer lost on death.
- update 25 April 2022 (Update):
- Made obtainable as a reward from skilling at the skill locations in the Dream of Iaia. Destroy text has been changed, and it received bonuses when fighting dinosaurs as well as the ability to transform into a salamander.
- The necklace was added to the game cache with the Rex Matriarchs update. The item was then unobtainable for over a year, until being added as a reward from the Extinction quest in a follow up update to buff the quest's rewards.
- It was originally intended to be the reward from a mystery similar to the Wandering Ga'al.
- Prior to being obtainable, the destroy option was "You can get another one beneath the spirit grove on Anachronia.", which has since been changed to reflect the method of obtaining it in the Dream of Iaia.