NXT is Jagex's internal code name for a downloadable game client for RuneScape. It was released on 18 April 2016. The client is written in C++. It superseded the Java-based Game Client, which was phased out on 18 December 2019.
- 1 History
- 2 Features
- 3 Cache files
- 4 Troubleshooting
- 5 Limitations
- 6 System requirements
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Launcher changelog
- 9 Update history
- 10 References
History[edit | edit source]
NXT was first teased at RuneFest 2014 as the evolution of the scrapped HTML5 client, though work on NXT had been underway for around two and a half years. NXT aimed to deliver better performance over the existing Java-based client, better graphics than the previously planned HTML5 client, and more platform and operating system support. One of the core design goals of the new client was the ability to load a larger map area and preload maps in the background.
Beta weekends[edit | edit source]
Beta weekends to test out NXT were held ahead of the new client's release. These were only available to Gold Premier Club members, players who had continuous membership since 31 January 2012, and players who had [Name] the Gamebreaker title from contributing to previous RuneScape betas. The first beta weekend took place from 19 February to 22 February 2016.
There were no limitations or non-disclosure agreements associated with the beta.
Release[edit | edit source]
To display NXT's capabilities, a showcase of in-game areas called Benedict's World Tour was added into the game on release. It was started by talking to Benedict Encumberyak in Burthorpe or Prifddinas. To complete the tour, players had to follow a scrapbook of clues, which led them to stand in specific locations and collect objects. Players had to use the NXT client to take part in the tour.
After the release of NXT, Jagex planned to phase out the use of the Java Client to free up resources to make further improvements to NXT, rather than continuing to maintain two clients in parallel. The timescale for phasing out the Java client would be based on beta data. Players using NXT were playing with users of the old Java client, and kept their progress. Jagex announced the imminent closure of the old client on 7 November 2019. The Java client was officially discontinued on 18 December 2019.
Features[edit | edit source]
Graphical improvements[edit | edit source]
- Increased draw distance and ability to see players and NPCs from further away than before. The player will be able to see a bit less than the "size of Lumbridge Castle around you in a square" when playing on maximum settings. The maximum draw distance with NXT will be 4x more than that of the Java client. Loading for distant map squares will be based on rendering most important objects first.
- Fully dynamic lighting and shadows. Shadows will be cast in real time, rather than being spot shadows, and will fall onto the player's character and other scenery rather than being cast onto walls and floors.
- Improved water with normal mapping of waves; real-time reflection of objects and shadows, including the character's shadow, in the water; and refraction (seeing objects through water when objects are underwater).
- Fog augmented with physically correct atmospheric scattering. This will remove harsh cut-offs in fog, with a fade to "haze" in the distance.
- Use of MSAA anti-aliasing rather than the previously used FXAA anti-aliasing.
- NXT will be going back to using Java sky domes, rather than the current cubic environment maps from HTML5, so that the Art Team do not have to maintain 2 sets of sky boxes.
- Will support normal mapping.
Environment[edit | edit source]
- Ability to zoom in and out on the minimap. The minimap will be rendered from above rather than being built out of metadata.
- The world map will look the same but will have faster loading times.
- Audio aspects will still be distributed in the same way but they will be streamed dynamically, eliminating some of the lag between audio being downloaded and it being played.
- A full screen client option will be supported for all operating systems. There will be a borderless full screen window mode.
- Expected not to have any loading times when moving between areas - loading will happen in the background through asynchronous/streaming loading.
- Faster loading of login screen and preloading of the world and shaders (programs performing rendering calculations) in background before the player logs in.
Technical[edit | edit source]
- Better performance and visuals than Java-based client on all machines. More capable PCs will have exponentially better performance.
- No difference between DirectX and OpenGL graphics modes. OpenGL will be the preferred display mode, but DirectX will be indirectly supported as a fallback for OpenGL when graphics cards are not able to work correctly with OpenGL. OpenGL has been selected due to its superior cross-platform support and backwards compatibility - OpenGL 2.0 will be the minimum possible supported.
- More efficient processor core management. Multiple cores will be made use of in loading and creating new rendering assets as well as helping with increased draw distance. Focused on SIMD and memory/cache optimisation so that even players with single core CPUs can experience good performance and players with 2 cores can achieve ideal in-game performance. Loading times and stutter when moving between areas will be improved further on machines with more than 2 cores. A CPU supporting at least SSE 2 will be required.
- Will support dedicated and mobile graphics cards, automatically using the dedicated graphics card when possible.
- NXT will have support for 32 and 64 bit Windows, with its installer automatically detecting which version is needed. Performance may be slightly better using 64-bit. Initially there will only be support for a 64 bit version for Linux. Windows XP will be supported.
- Will be possible to run multiple clients at the same time, but this will affect performance, especially on older, single core PCs.
- Players can enable Vsync to lock the FPS to the monitor's refresh rate; however, this can be turned off to provide an uncapped FPS.
- Equal performance between equivalent Nvidia and AMD GPUs. A Radeon HD 7770 or a GeForce GTX 460 will be able to max out NXT at 1080p 60 fps. NXT even works on cards like the Nvidia GeForce 6150 from 2005 and the ATI Radeon 9800 from 2003.
- With Intel HD graphics and an Intel Core i3 or better CPU players will be able to play at 60 fps with better graphics quality than in Java. Intel GPUs from before the HD series, e.g. X3100, GMA 945 or the Intel 4 series should be able to play at 10-15 fps.
- Currently 2 GB of RAM is enough to run NXT at lower draw distances, while 3 GB is necessary for higher settings. Actual system memory consumption is around 1GB, at lower settings, to around 2GB, at max.
Cache files[edit | edit source]
NXT stores some files locally on your device called cache files. They contain information such as icons, your local game settings, music and soundtracks, and areas you have been to in Gielinor. These cache files can be transferred to another hard drive to allow your game setting to be identical across computers, or save bandwidth from re-downloading the files. Although extremely rare, cache files can sometime become corrupted.
Clearing the cache[edit | edit source]
Clearing your cache files will often solve most issues with random crashes. This will also solve some audio issues that are not caused by files that are still downloading. To do this, follow the instructions found on the Support section of the RuneScape website: How to clear your cache and Installing the cache on a second hard drive.
Alternatively, for Windows 10 devices follow the instructions below:
- Close all open RuneScape windows.
- Open the File Explorer, indicated by a manila file folder.
- Click the upside down chevron located under the red "X" to close the window so it appears pointing up.
- Click on the View tab, located at the top left of this window.
- Click view Hidden Items and File Name Extension to check them on.
- Close the File Explorer window using the red "X".
- In the search bar beside the Windows start icon, type "%programdata%\Jagex\RuneScape" and press enter.
- Delete all files ending with the extension ".JCACHE"
Troubleshooting[edit | edit source]
Error messages[edit | edit source]
For known error messages, see Jagex's technical support page.
Malformed login packet[edit | edit source]
This error is not well documented on Jagex's technical support page. It can rarely be seen when exiting to lobby; in this case it is relatively harmless and just logging back in after waiting can fix it. However, if this error is appearing and disconnecting users in the middle of playing normally, it can have different causes; e.g. a faulty router model. Consider contacting Jagex technical support or your Internet Service Provider if the errors persist.
Limitations[edit | edit source]
- No browser version will be available. This is due to performance problems and lack of support for threads.
- NXT is not currently supported on tablets and mobiles. It will support mobile when RuneScape Mobile is released.
- Uses more storage space because more data is stored uncompressed. It will use at most 10GB of space, compared to 4GB with the Java client. NXT will have more offline processing of assets. As with the current client, players will be able to play the NXT client immediately after downloading it. The 10GB cache will be downloaded in the background. The download size will be around 1.9GB as data will be compressed during transmission.
- It will not be possible to see players on other elevations. Though it is possible for this to be enabled, Jagex has decided not to do so as there are some graphical glitches. Summoning familiars like Steel Titans and enemies like Gargoyles, for example, would poke up through the floor. Thus, it will not be activated until this and other issues are fixed.
- Support for modding will not be added to NXT.
- Dynamic weather will not be added as this would interfere with the themes of different areas e.g. area lighting.
- While 4K monitor support has been added in the form of interface scaling, scaling interfaces smaller (for very small monitors) is not currently planned. 
System requirements[edit | edit source]
Jagex recommends at least the following system specifications for NXT on Windows:
|CPU||Dual Core, AMD Phenom II or Intel i3/i5 CPU, 2.4+ GHz|
|RAM||4GB or greater|
|GPU||GeForce 400x series, Intel HD 4x series, AMD Radeon 7xxx series|
|Disk Drive||A very fast HDD or SSD|
|Storage||At least 8GB of storage space available for the NXT cache|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Al Kharid in the NXT client
Ashdale in the NXT client
Prifddinas in the NXT client
Taverley in the NXT client
Darkmeyer in the NXT client
Wizards' Tower in the NXT client
Launcher changelog[edit | edit source]
|2.2.7||26 March 2020||
|2.2.6||22 November 2019||
|2.2.5||11 November 2019||
|2.2.4||10 April 2017||
|Unknown||30 January 2017||
|2.2.3||8 December 2016||
|2.2.2||13 April 2016||
|2.2.1||12 April 2016||
|2.2.0||11 April 2016||
|2.1.9||10 April 2016||
|2.1.8||7 April 2016||
|2.1.7||7 April 2016||
|2.1.6||6 April 2016||
|2.1.5||30 March 2016||
|2.1.4||22 March 2016||
|2.1.3||16 March 2016||
|2.1.2||15 March 2016||
|2.1.1||7 March 2016||
|2.1.0||1 March 2016||
|2.0.9||1 March 2016||
|2.0.8||29 February 2016||
|2.0.7||18 February 2016||
|2.0.6||15 February 2016||
|2.0.5||4 February 2016||
|2.0.4||19 January 2016||
|2.0.3||18 January 2016||
|2.0.2||5 January 2016||
|2.0.1||12 November 2015||
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 23 November 2020 (Update):
- Added multi-threaded rendering system, providing a significant performance boost on CPU bottlenecked systems. Currently supported on Windows only - excluding Compatibility Mode, Intel HD 3000 or below, and AMD graphics drivers released before year 2020.
- Fixed a rare sound-related crash.
- Fixed persistent black or frozen screen on macOS High Sierra.
- Fixed system alert sound when pressing F1-F12 or ctrl+key on macOS.
- Fixed window size and position not being remembered on macOS.
- Fixed freeze / 'beach ball' on macOS when resizing the game window in the Lobby, or in rare cases when interacting with the Lobby
- Fixed rare crash on exit on macOS.
- Fixed macOS system IME appearing in cases such as holding A to rotate camera.
- Fixed an issue causing some Android devices to restart the app when connecting or disconnecting a USB keyboard.
- Fixed an issue causing textures to sometimes display incorrectly on the Samsung Galaxy S5.
- Fixed a graphical flicker issue on Android devices.
- Fixed ping display on world select screen on Android, iOS and Linux.
- Fixed crash when using pinch/zoom gesture on Android.
- Fixed issue with Android 11 devices where the interface would be significantly offset from the corners of the screen when gesture navigation was enabled.
- Improved Sign in with apple and google sign in on mobile devices to use overlaid browsers.
- Improved performance of some animations causing fps dips.
- patch 5 October 2020 (Update):
- Engine-based improvements have been made to the Mac client to improve stability.
- nxt 11 November 2019 (Update):
- Smoothed the appearance of how objects fade out of view, when at the far edge of the view distance or close to the camera.
- Fixed graphical issues with some new materials.
- Fixed a lighting bug, which prevented certain areas of terrain from being lit correctly.
- Animations should behave more consistently over varying distances.
- Fixed bug with water reflections not updating correctly.
- Fixed a rare crash when compressing assets.
- Right clicking while dragging will no longer cancel the drag with NXT client.
- Fixed a bug preventing the uncompressed textures option from being available if too many other GPU heavy programs were running.
- Fixed a bug causing some housing decorations to appear inside walls.
- Tinsel scarf now has an inventory icon.
- Fps drops when scrolling through bank on mobile devices have been fixed.
- Fixed a crash on Mac OS 10.14 Mojave.
- Fixed a crash on Pixel devices.
- Fixed a crash which occurred if the active audio device was disabled or disconnected.
- Clipping through objects is now smoother.
- Fixed bug with minimap properly loading.
- Issue with objects not appearing on the minimap fixed.
- Graphical issues with specific lighting settings on mobile have been fixed.
- patch 22 June 2020 (Update):
- Resolved an issue that was causing the players client to crash and displaying the error "One or more arguments are invalid (2147483651)". Users may still experience this error or the error "The instructions at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The memory could not be %s. (c0000005)". This is a separate issue and will be fixed in an upcoming client update.
- Fixed an issue that was preventing players from changing their login screen background.
- patch 30 September 2019 (Update):
- The NXT client will now preload all object graphics on launch, this means when loading the bank it will now make all of your objects appear instantly instead of the delay when scrolling through.
- nxt 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Improved the way text and models are rendered on mobile devices.
- Fixed an issue preventing certain textures from displaying correctly on mobile devices.
- Fixed client freezing on mobile devices when network connection is disabled.
- Adds the ability for web shop detail to be rendered in game.
- Fixed inputs on mobile devices sometimes incorrectly occurring at the previously tapped location.
- Fixed shader crash on Nokia Phones.
- Packaged previous warm fixes in to mobile client.
- Fixed Command key modifier for Mac OS.
- A Engine side change has been made to improve puzzle box behaviour.
- We've made improvements to font rendering.
- warmfix 25 July 2019:
- Made a change to reduce potential dead inputs, especially at lower framerates.
- Fixed an issue causing players to occasionally stall briefly after completing a lodestone teleport.
- Fixed an issue preventing the game window from correctly resizing when double clicking the title bar on Mac.
- Fixed special characters sometimes causing messages to overlap in chat.
- Fixed quest markers sometimes disappearing from map.
- Fixed an issue with particles slowing down Mac clients, an example of this is P5 on Telos.
- Improved loading times when loading into an animation heavy areas.
- Fixed water rendering on Anachronia.
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- We've made further optimisations to the action bar script (please note: This will fix some issues with the on-going 'dead clicks' issue but not all of them, a NXT fix is still ongoing to resolve this.)
- Fixed the issue causing white outlines to remain around action bar boxes when hovered over.
- Fixed a minimenu-related teleport crash
- Fixed an issue that infrequently caused crashes whilst teleporting (separately from the minimenu issue).
- Fixed an issue where some areas of floor would not load in correctly.
- Fixed an issue causing visual artefacts on mobile platforms.
- Fixed an issue where gates may appear both open and closed simultaneously.
- nxt 25 April 2019:
- Fixed some instances of overlapping text on top level interfaces
- Optimised game client cache usage
- Fixed a variety of issues that could lead to crashes or the game not being handled correctly during various actions involving the game window
- Several improvements to the loading screen behaviour have been made
- Fixed a clickthrough bug on Mobile on the logout prompt
- Fixed an issue that caused SSAO to display incorrectly
- Fixed client crash caused by particles on mobile
- Fixed an issue with lighting on mobile
- Fixed an issue with MSAA that causes a crash on mobile
- Fixed an OSX issue which caused the window title to be incorrect
- Fixed an issue with the animation system
- Fixed an issue affecting certain devices that caused crashes when altering shadow quality settings
- Fixed an issue with app restart when using home button on mobile
- Known Issue: Highlighting over an action bar box can cause the white outline to remain when the mouse is moved away
- Known Issue: Minimising the Mac client by double clicking the title bar may make the game no longer restorable
- nxt 31 October 2018:
- Fixed an issue where right clicking would break under certain circumstances.
- Tweaked particle logic to improve performance when dealing with large quantities of particles
- Improved start-up messaging so clients know if there is a connection issue or update available
- Fixed a bug with rotating notch phones
- Fixed a bug on android when switching between apps
- Fixed a shader bug present on older mobile devices
- Fixed a bug with multiple animations being played at the same time causing crashes
- Fixed an Android bug relating to projectiles
- Fixed a crash on iOS 12 devices
- Implemented a new app icon
- Fixed a bug with taps being offset when RuneScape isn't fullscreen mode
- nxt 31 May 2018 (Update):
- Fixed the white texture issue when logging in while the client is pre-loading shaders.
- patch 30 April 2018 (Update):
- Fixed audio crashes that could occur when using USB headphones.
- Windows XP support has been removed from the NXT installer.
- Fixed an issue whereby large NPC’s lower bodies would sometimes reset back to their default idle states.
- Fixed an issue whereby the game would show black textures under certain circumstances.
- Fixed an issue that caused textures to not load in properly for some players. (A cache re-download may be required.)
- nxt 12 March 2018 (Update):
- Animations were optimised for multi-core processors.
- Players should no longer hear audio dropouts/crackling when playing on a single core machine, or when the CPU is under high load from another program.
- An issue was fixed with flickering/disappearing particles on old/low-end AMD graphics cards.
- An issue was fixed with a bug with the Avatar viewer.
- patch 12 February 2018 (Update):
- The number of minimum requirements for the ultra water setting caustics effect has been slightly reduced.
- nxt 5 February 2018 (Update):
- A cache issue causing crashes due to incorrectly saved data (such as near Captain Lawgof's camp) has now been fixed.
- The client no longer freezes when players attempt to close it.
- Item lists, such as the search functionality on the Grand Exchange or item lists in the Quick Chat system, now display the correct results.
- patch 22 January 2018 (Update):
- The correct information is now displayed when trying to log in with a temporary ban.
- The hint marker now displays correctly.
- Displaying null models on interfaces no longer causes client crashes.
- Compiler flags have been improved for Windows builds
- A potential cause for threading-related crashes was identified and fixed.
- Hitmarks are now able to display different colours in the NXT client.
- An issue that was causing certain character models to become invisible during animations has been fixed.
- RAM usage has been optimised for Grand Exchange searches.
- Some core interface logic was sped up.
- The memory footprint of the Location system was reduced by ~10MB.
- Interface system memory was cut down by ~15MB.
- Items no longer appear invisible in player inventories and banks.
- nxt 9 January 2018:
- Improved texture loading performance. Namely incorrect textures loading after teleporting and inventory items disappearing.
- Fixed picking area for transformed players where they end up on the same square as an NPC.
- nxt 24 November 2017:
- Fixed duplicated hotspot locations within your player owned house.
- Fixed dead clicks at low framerates, especially on dropdown menus
- Fixed various texture and lag issues with older Intel HD GPUs
- patch 20 November 2017 (Update):
- Fixed an issue which prevented quickchat from working on quickchat worlds.
- Fixed lag when minimising/maximising in normal mode on some Windows systems.
- Fixed possible cause of 3D world freezing but interface remaining responsive on Windows.
- Fixed possible cause of crashes when multitasking with other applications on Windows.
- Fixed some billboards from not appearing in the environment.
- Fixed device resets causing a logout from lobby or authenticator code screen.
- Fix an issue where NXT could launch multiple error pages.
- Reduced memory usage of animation system.
- Reduced driver overhead of animation system (especially on AMD graphics cards).
- Improved robustness of device loss recovery (less likely for things to render broken or crash after PC sleep, driver crash, minimising compatibility mode, switching GPU, etc).
- Reduced CPU usage of animation, picking and entity logic systems, especially at framerates well below 50.
- Reduced work being done by logic loop during frame drops/stutters, which was previously multiplying their length.
- Reduced stutter/frameskip when loading or moving around, especially on AMD graphics cards.
- Reduced instances of white/noisy pixels on terrain at extreme glancing angles with anisotropic filtering enabled.
- Implemented immutable texture storage extension, which many improve performance on some GPUs.
- patch 16 October 2017 (Update):
- Players can now define their maximum foreground and background FPS in the NXT client via the graphics settings interface.
- The cache churn has been reduced.
- Pointlights now affects terrain lighting in instances.
- The high frequency noise visible on newer (normal-mapped) models when viewed close up has been reduced.
- The RAM usage in the shader system has been reduced by around 20MB.
- Some animation states have been optimised.
- patch 18 September 2017 (Update):
- The refactored chat system is now more efficient.
- Memory usage has been reduced by approximately 70MB.
- RAM usage of the script system has been slightly reduced.
- The disk cache/loading performance has been optimised, especially in the case of non-SSDs.
- Various minor CPU optimisations have been put in place.
- patch 11 September 2017 (Update):
- The loading screen will no longer constantly reappear in the Poison Waste Sewers when using the NXT client.
- Saved approximately 70MB with some interface optimisations.
- Increased the amount of hit makers that can appear on the player or npc at any one time.
- Fixed potential crash in Windows custom cursors.
- Added support for FPS capping.
- By default your maximum FPS will now be set to 10 above your monitors refresh rate.
- By default your maximum FPS will now be set to 30 if RuneScape is not your focused window conserving power and GPU usage.
- patch 21 August 2017 (Update):
- Fixed a number of cases where the game view may partially freeze or display artefacts.
- Fixed a situation where inventory icons may display incorrect textures or incorrectly display everything as the same item.
- Fixed a crash when minimising on compatibility mode.
- Fixed incorrect water rendering on older GPUs or compatibility mode.
- Fixed a case where the world could end up fully in shadow.
- Fixed a case where the world could end up at an incorrect brightness level.
- Fixed a case where objects could end up extremely dark at certain angles.
- Improved performance of minimising and restoring compatibility mode.
- Player picking area tweaked to not be so wide.
- Reduced RAM usage by approximately 90 MB.
- Fixed terrain not appearing on some lower spec Intel devices.
- Fixed an issue with black screens and red mini maps on certain low-end devices.
- Reduced memory and CPU usage of UI system slightly.
- Fixed a few issues with occlusion culling.
- Fixed a heap memory related crash.
- Fixed a freeze that may occur while loading in map squares.
- Fixed potential crash on exit or connection loss.
- nxt 10 July 2017:
- Fixed sprite edge artefacts.
- Made audio system more robust and reduced chance of crackling/dropouts.
- Fixed an issue that causes celestial dragon dungeon to never finish loading.
- Fixed broken shadow rendering on Intel HD 2000.
- Fixed a NaN (not a number) bug with particular models.
- Removed dependency on Visual C++ 2015 redist and KB2999226 windows update.
- Fixed medium+ water and SSAO on compatibility mode.
- Certain particle physics should now work correctly.
- nxt 27 June 2017:
- Fixed a common freeze related to clock adjustment that mostly affects MacOS devices but may also affect Windows.
- With the exception of the Dominion Tower, lighting over map squares should now be consistent.
- nxt 6 June 2017:
- Fix a rare issue where locations would fail to load in Shifting Tombs/Dungeoneering.
- Fixed the issue with strange artifacts when logging from the lobby or hopping worlds.
- nxt 5 June 2017:
- A new graphical feature: Volumetric lighting have been added to the game. Make your way to Menaphos to check them out!
- A new graphical feature: Caustic water effects have been added to the game. Turn water details to “Ultra” to enable.
- Added water light extinction effect.
- Fixed terrain sometimes appearing solid black on old AMD GPUs and/or old AMD drivers.
- Fixed flickering artefacts with textures disabled on certain GPUs (mainly Intel).
- Animations with random start points have been fixed so the animation does not end prematurely.
- Refactored a subsystem to save some memory.
- Added invalidation to OpenGL resources which may improve multi-GPU performance.
- coldfix 3 July 2017 (Update):
- A common freeze in NXT related to clock adjustment that mostly affects MacOS devices (but may also affect Windows) has been fixed.
- patch 15 May 2017 (Update):
- It is no longer necessary to auto-setup every time when graphics drivers are out of date.
- nxt 15 May 2017 (Update):
- A crash/freeze during/after playing certain cutscenes has been fixed.
- A crash due to array overflows has been fixed.
- OSX input fixes:
- The Cmd+Q hotkey has been fixed.
- Various Cmd hotkeys (especially Shift+Cmd+4 and Cmd+Tab) leaving Shift/Cmd buttons held down on OS X and blocking mouse input until they are pressed again have been fixed.
- Slow scrolling with mouse wheel is no longer ignored, and scrolls by a small amount as it should.
- A black bar at top in fullscreen mode on OSX has been fixed.
- A rare script-related crash has been fixed.
- A crash caused by NPC hint arrows has been fixed.
- Several potential crashes in the audio system have been fixed.
- Distance fog no longer turns objects white in the background.
- The mini-menu now has the correct priority for certain camera angles.
- The client icon no longer appears as a terminal on OSX.
- A crash caused by dragging certain interfaces has been fixed.
- An animation subsystem has been optimised.
- Model loading has been optimised.
- An issue where some wall pieces were not correctly lit has been fixed.
- Compact install on the NXT launcher has been fixed.
- Drawable elements have been optimised.
- Particle rotation has been fixed.
- coldfix 12 April 2017 (Update):
- Fixed a crash primarily during cache download but also randomly.
- Fixed cache download randomly stopping or losing connection.
- Fixed crash in disk cache.
- Restored standard OSX full screen button.
- Removed broken in-game fullscreen option on OSX.
- Fixed the BOOPY! Noise when typing certain keys in OSX.
- Entering caves and instances will no longer remove terrain blending options.
- Added the ability to start NXT from the client executable, fixing issues when having two taskbar icons.
- Fixed an issue with indefinite loading, black screen on log in, and scenery not loading.
- patch 10 April 2017 (Update):
- An issue with shadows on scorch marks in Edgeville when using the NXT client has been fixed.
- nxt 10 April 2017 (Update):
- A crash that sometimes happened when a mass amount of players and locations overlapped has been fixed.
- The launcher frame has been removed.
- The client has been changed to deal with its own window, including save, restore of position, scrolling, and access to launcher options.
- The OSX and Linux clients have been changed to binary executables.
- Fixes have been made to OSX and Linux crash reporting.
- The ability to turn off terrain blending has been added.
- The ability to turn off ground décor has been added.
- RAM and video memory usage has been reduced.
- Script functions have been optimised.
- An audio-related crash has been fixed.
- Compression has been added to the disk cache, reducing its size from 12GB to 3-4GB.
- Performance of disk cache validation has been optimised (up to 7x faster).
- Performance of loading for non-SSD users has been optimised (up to 2x faster if fully defragged, more if not).
- A crash that would primarily occur during disk cache download at high speed or on a bad connection to the server during gameplay has been fixed.
- A minimum width and height has been added to the NXT client.
- A freeze some players experienced after re-logging from the lobby has been fixed.
- Particles should no longer look washed out. Red particles will no longer look pink!
- An issue where hint markers would sometimes cause freezing and crashing - such as in Fist of Guthix or Castle Wars - has been fixed.
- An issue with low-spec machines crashing before start up has been fixed.
- Inconsistent normals have been fixed.
- A race condition with audio has been fixed.
- Linux keyboard input issues have been fixed.
- An issue which caused dragging on Mac to be inconsistent has been fixed.
- Copyright information has been updated.
- The Jagex logo has been updated.
- nxt 1 March 2017:
- Improved the robustness of particle systems which lacked textures
- Fixed a possible issue when changing texture quality while inside an instance
- Fixed a bug that caused a crash on certain obscure interfaces
- Fixed an issue that caused extended load up times on Mac
- Ensured the locations of far away animations load and appear at the same time as their associated models
- Fixed a memory leak and possible crash in OS X custom cursors
- Fixed an issue with a-sync animations
- Reduced RAM usage by approximately 30% (depending on settings)
- Various fixes for shadows and graphics options
- Prevented some teleport aims from going out of sync (Shadow and Fire Drake, Gossamer, and Shadow Gorilla)
- Fixed the animation looping on some skill overrides from incorrectly looping parts of the animation (Easter Cooking/Arcane Cooking/Agile Divining)
- Fixed a rare NPC head icon related crash
- Fixed some potential cases of graphics artefacts
- nxt 30 January 2017 (Update):
- Fixed some rendering issues/crashes that might appear on older drivers or graphics cards.
- Improved apperance of water at extreme camera angles.
- Added support for SSAO in compatibility graphics mode.
- Added support for soft particles in compatibility graphics mode.
- Fixed water refraction on compatibility graphics mode.
- Fixed particles not interacting with bloom.
- Fixed 'protesting' Edgeville guards (This also fixes the odd issues seen with stretching bones).
- nxt 16 January 2017:
- An issue that was causing some objects to appear invisible in the NXT client has been fixed.
- Audio not playing correctly on some types of NPCs has been fixed.
- Environment particles should no longer sharply cut into the terrain.
- Dragging item stacks inside the player inventory while large bank tabs are open will no longer cause dramatic FPS drops.
- The World Gate now renders correctly on the World Map.
- A rare audio-related crash has been fixed.
- Incorrect interpolation in certain cutscenes has been fixed.
- A bug with shadow occlusion has been fixed.
- Certain particles that were being reflected on water despite being below the water's surface have been fixed.
- Roofs are now removed properly with water on low, shadows on and ambient occlusion on.
- An error with shadows that stopped rendering certain animations has been fixed.
- Added fixed screen support (Windows only).
- nxt 5 December 2016 (Update):
- Foundations have been laid to support higher resolution textures and normal maps.
- An anistropic filtering option has been added (not supported in compatibility mode).
- An uncompressed textures option has been added.
- Various performance optimisations have been made.
- An issue where reflected objects on water could be partially invisible has been fixed.
- An issue where trees on the minimap could cause some parts of the map to become transparent has been fixed.
- nxt 17 October 2016 (Update):
- A crash related to item stacks has been fixed.
- Performance in a number of interfaces has been improved.
- Fixed scrolling textures looping incorrectly.
- The FPS counter has been improved.
- Special character typing has been enabled on OSX, using Alt+E+character.
- FBumps in the terrain on randomly generated islands have been fixed.
- Game world loading has been optimised, which means you should see an improvement in loading times.
- A number of issues with multi-lingual character input have been fixed.
- patch 3 October 2016 (Update):
- The Twitch tab in the “Community” interface has been disabled in NXT.
- patch 26 September 2016 (Update):
- Fixed a crash that was occurring during the Telos boss fight.
- Fixed a crash with the Js5ResourceProvider.
- nxt 19 September 2016 (Update):
- Fix for the Pink map lines introduced in the previous client version.
- Fix made for extra large click zone.
- Removed the anim update as it was causing the Telos boss to crash the client.
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- Viewing White Wolf Mountain via Benedict's NXT camera sweep no longer displays a section inside the mountain.
- nxt 12 September 2016 (Update):
- Accounts should no longer be placed onto the login screen (again) after being created.
- Fixed some cases when particles emitters were not following you.
- Whips will no longer stretch after converting memories to enhanced experience at a divination rift.
- Objects placed on the ground in certain locations should no longer appear to float in mid-air.
- Specular is now more visible in NXT.
- Fixed a few issues with terrain stretching in some places.
- Fixed the fact that some wall pieces were not showing in dungeons.
- Various CPU and GPU optimisations
- Fix for some icons not appearing on the minimap/world map.
- Improved performance when many interfaces are open
- Fixed a texture update-related crash.
- patch 30 August 2016 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with animation blending. Your legs should no longer detach from your body!
- Improved terrain blending between new and old areas.
- New audio in a session should now play correctly.
- An issue where the camera behaves badly in the first section of the Hefin Agility Course has been fixed.
- Fixed animations for bug swarms.
- Fixed the alignment on a palm tree at the Void Knights' Outpost.
- Fixed various random NXT crashes.
- nxt 15 August 2016 (Update):
- Fixed a bug where certain objects would be incorrectly hidden when textures were turned off.
- Improved world map stability.
- Numerous sky texture quality improvements have been implemented including fixing crashes solid white sky in certain areas on low-end graphics cards and putting in place foundations for higher resolution textures.
- Fixed Lighting for Scrying and Building Mode in a player-owned house.
- Particles should no longer appear under a location instead of on it.
- nxt 8 August 2016 (Update):
- nxt 1 August 2016 (Update):
- NPC's that flicker have been fixed to a different size.
- Compatibility issues such as broken shadows, objects disappearing and crashes with various third party software - including AMD Gaming Evolved (aka Raptr), Plays.TV and Bandicam have been fixed.
- Sky flickering due to SSAO in some areas has been prevented.
- Made re-spawned implings easier to click.
- patch 25 July 2016 (Update):
- Fixed a crash that would happen when the player levelled up whilst in a group.
- patch 11 July 2016 (Update):
- Some camera clipping issues in cutscenes have been fixed.
- Fixed the slightly stretched camera compared to Java.
- Animations will no longer stop playing when two interfaces are open with animated models on them.
- Prevented the issue where you saw duplicate names in your friends list or clan list whenever their rank changes.
- Particles will now disappear correctly.
- An issue were certain parts of the environment disappeared if your draw distance was set to low has been fixed.
- Dropped items should now appear correctly.
- Fixed a crash that could occur in busy areas.
- Some rogue interface logic which could cause difficulty starting quests has been fixed.
- Various memory leaks have been fixed.
- The removed roof now works correctly from a scrying pool.
- Stack overflow errors not being reported to us have been fixed.
- An issue where music was getting stuck when changing locations has been fixed.
- nxt 11 July 2016 (Update):
- Fix made for a Linux window resize issue.
- The Mining site sparkle animation will now work after re-spawning the mining site.
- Slightly raised the height of items that are dropped on the ground in NXT.
- In-game countdown timer will now count down correctly instead of in blocks.
- Fixed the removed roof in the Fishing Guild.
- Toggling local chat to friends will no longer drop your FPS in populated worlds.
- Searching quick chat will now give you the correct error message in NXT.
- Fixed the direction an NPCS faces when interact with their surroundings.
- The floating floor tile in the magic guild in Yanille has been fixed.
- Fixed the crash in Clan Citadel due to missing light probes.
- Duradel can now be clicked.
- Fixes have been made to the clan skill plot animations.
- Projectiles now arc correctly.
- Fixed terrain tearing found in instanced areas.
- nxt 4 July 2016 (Update):
- Reduced memory usage, especially at longer draw distance and/or in busy areas.
- nxt 27 June 2016 (Update):
- Fixed various random crashes.
- Fixed some memory leaks and crashes.
- Fixed crash when standing near a large number of players.
- Tweaked some latency issues in the client.
- A fix to array out of bounds when decoding world area data has been made.
- Transition animations have been fixed to work more like Java. Pushing objects during Hero's Welcome and Broken Home will now act correctly.
- Heap memory allocation reductions to decrease memory fragmentation and potentially increase performance on low end machines.
- NPCs should no longer pop in and out of existence when transitioning.
- Player animations should now start and end correctly.
- Fixed Clan Citadel's Summoning Obelisk animation.
- Fixed an issue with objects disappearing with a low draw distance.
- Fixed an error when locking target information.
- Improved performance and reduced stutter when moving around.
- Fixed some cases where water was not aligning with the shoreline.
- Made camera shakes work correctly on various quests.
- Chat filters will now work the same as in Java.
- Fixed missing water, artifacting, and crashes on AMD graphics cards since driver 16.5
- nxt 13 June 2016 (Update):
- The delay that happens when setting audio effects has been fixed.
- Intermittent flickering observed in compatibility mode has been fixed.
- Fixes have been made for some animations that were appearing on the floor above. when remove roof 'always' was selected.
- Fixed incorrect minimap display when disguised (e.g. heists).
- The issue where the minimap sometimes appeared black has been fixed.
- Improved loading speed and reduced stutter when moving.
- Improved performance on AMD graphics cards.
- Rivers appearing narrower than they should on the minimap has been fixed.
- Fixes have been made to stop some locations turning invisible when remove roof 'always' is selected.
- Animations like Soul Split will no longer be visible from the floor below.
- Fixed doors turning invisible in instanced areas.
- Fixed minimap terrain appearing grey in some places (e.g. Elf City).
- patch 31 May 2016 (Update):
- A rogue black poly has been removed from the prayer emote animation in NXT.
- Fixed some transparency issues on the ogre infiltrator stumps in NXT.
- patch 23 May 2016 (Update):
- Fixes to stop crashes when changing detail options on Macs have been made.
- Fixes to some strange camera movement issues in certain places (e.g. in the quest The Hunt for Red Raktuber) have been made.
- Fixed NXT freezing/crashing when hibernating or when your graphics card driver crashes
- Various fixes have been made for compatibility issues with MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics Server, such as objects disappearing, SSAO/HBAO being broken, shadows not appearing, and very low framerates.
- The issue where the world was appearing darker than it should on older graphics cards has been fixed.
- Tweaks to map loading have been made to better prioritize the order in which maps load around the player.
- The particle effects at the Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza are now visible correctly in NXT.
- A fix to prevent custom player 'ops' lingering after world hopping has been made.
- Inventory and Bank icons have been adjusted to more closely match the Java originals.
- nxt 16 May 2016 (Update):
- Players can no longer see their aquarium in the distance in a player-owned house in NXT.
- The abyssal charm icon is now visible in NXT.
- Agoroth's ship will no longer flicker in NXT.
- Walking bosses will no longer cause them to jump in front of you in NXT.
- Support has been added for more parts of the overworld to be disguised better in NXT, by substituting in parts of the map where nothing is really there (to make it look like they are not floating in the middle of nowhere, e.g. the player-owned house aquarium).
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- Prevent some cases where world hopping or connecting to a clan citadel would cause the player to drop to login screen
- Fixed occasions where players or NPCs facing another player/NPC weren't facing them correctly
- The attack op on Vyrewatch has been moved within the list
- An issue causing players to appear on the wrong map square has been fixed
- The clan QFC now displays correctly
- Fixed an issue where the mini menu was crashing
- Fixed an issue where inventory slots were disappearing
- Translation issues in the launcher config window title have been remedied
- An issue where the dragon slayer magic door was not transitioning correctly has been fixed
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to start the quest The Firemaker’s Curse
- Fixed the position of mini menu entries to be same as they were in Java and fixed and issue affecting the detection of the mouse within menu entries
- A Wilderness agility course stepping-stone animation issue has been fixed
- patch 3 May 2016 (Update):
- Entrana can no longer be seen from the nearby coasts.
- Ape Atoll can no longer be seen from the Void Knight Outpost.
- Increased the click area for the light creature summoning familiar.
- Increased the click zone for Pure Energy in the RuneSpan.
- Fixed an issue where flying Ahrim in the Rise of the Six encounter had a very small click zone.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Pips's Twitter account. 31 December 2014. (Archived from the original on 3 November 2020.) Mod Pips: "It's just an internal code name."
- ^ RuneFest 2014 - Runescape 2015 - Future Content. 15 October 2014.*
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w RuneScape - NXT (New Game Client) Showcase, Christmas 2015. 22 December 2015.*
- ^ Mod Lordgit. "New Runescape Client." 26 March 2015. Developer Blogs Forums.
- ^ Mod Philip. "New Runescape Client." 27 March 2015. Developer Blogs Forums.
- ^ Mod William. "Dev Blog | Dealing with Draw Distance." 26 January 2016. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ a b c d RS3 NXT Showcase #2 (with a sprinkle of Invention). 19 January 2016.*
- ^ a b c Mod William. "Dev Blog | Taking a Load Off." 9 February 2016. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ a b c d e f g Mod William. "Dev Blog | NXT - Can I Run It?." 2 February 2016. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ NXT development and the Bank Rework have been halted for mobile. Is it worth it?. 3 November 2017.*
- ^ https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/interface-scaling--camera-offset-beta
- ^ Mod Poerkie. . Reddit. 22 July 2020. Mod Poerkie: "I would say this is unlikely, the tech / code we work works to upscale it but sadly it doesn't work the other way around. I will take note of the interest in this, I know there are more players who would like to see this."
- ^ Jagex. NXT on Windows–Support.*
- ^ 30 January 2017 (Update): Patch notes release this changelog, version number unconfirmed.