Myths of the White Lands
|Myths of the White Lands (#148)|
|Release date||16 December 2008 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Frédérique M|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Myths of the White Lands is a quest where the player investigates into rumours of riches that Explorer Jack has found. Heading into the Land of Snow, you navigate several ice puzzles and elude a yeti to discover some stones which turn out to be nothing more than frozen yeti dung.
- 1 Official description
- 2 Overview
- 3 Explorer Jack
- 4 Icy Maze Caves of Extreme Slipperiness
- 5 Meeting the snow imps
- 6 Wrapping up
- 7 Rewards
- 8 Achievements
- 9 Required for completing
- 10 Transcript
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Update history
- 13 Trivia
Official description[edit | edit source]
Explorer Jack may have taken a break from exploring, but he hasn't given up his old habits quite yet. His constant search for myths that could potentially hold secrets to rare trinkets and other trophies has led him to a passing snow imp, who told him a tale of riches in the distant Land of Snow. Just the task for any wannabe explorer! He now wants you to go and investigate the imp's story to discover if it holds any truth...
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
Explorer Jack[edit | edit source]
Start by talking to Explorer Jack in Lumbridge, in his house just west of the general store. Ask him how to get to the Land of Snow and the phrase 'Ectosum Glissendo' will be seen (this is the same for everyone). Head over to the Wizards' Tower west of Lumbridge (fairy ring code DIS) and talk to Isidor. He can be found by ascending the beam onto the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] then going west. Speak to him and he will teleport the player to the Land of Snow. Players are not allowed to teleport with their own snow imp.
Icy Maze Caves of Extreme Slipperiness[edit | edit source]
- You can only walk diagonally on certain tiles.
- The puzzle rooms may be encountered in a different order.
- If you are stuck, either teleport out and then come back or log out (this will allow you to begin from the entrance of the room) and start over.
- Crafting 2,000 experience bonus for clearing wall cave maze room (30 Crafting needed).
- Agility 10,000 experience bonus for climbing roots in a cave maze room (55 Agility needed).
- Woodcutting 20,000 experience bonus for clearing wall next to final entrance (on platform) before final cave maze room (80 Woodcutting needed).
Entrance[edit | edit source]
To get to the caves, an 'Ice game' will need to be played. The player will slide around and only stop when an obstacle is reached, similar to fighting Plane-freezer Lakhrahnaz within Daemonheim. (Before starting your sliding, check your compass directions to north.) To get to the cave from the start, directions are as follows:
First cavern[edit | edit source]
Second cavern (and Crafting experience)[edit | edit source]
This is the second puzzle room. It contains an optional activity that grants 2,000 Crafting experience, requiring 30 Crafting. To skip it and continue through to the next cavern, the steps are as follows:
- East to go to the next room
The wall that yields the Crafting experience can be reached with the following steps from the entrance:
Third cavern[edit | edit source]
Passing through room 2 leads you to the third puzzle room, which can be completed with the following steps:
- East to go to the next room
Fourth cavern (and Agility experience)[edit | edit source]
After this, the player will enter a fourth cave room. On member worlds, it is possible to climb the roots onto the risen platform and study the wall for 10,000 Agility experience; players will need Level 55 Agility to do so, which can be boosted. To skip this optional reward, move:
- East to go to the next room
If you plan to obtain the agility reward first, trace the dark blue path followed by the purple one on the image shown:
- Climb the roots and Study the wall (for Agility experience) and climb back down the roots
- East to go to the next room
Fifth cavern[edit | edit source]
After moving blocks in the sixth cavern, see below; squeeze through the crevice and head east across the walkway and squeeze through the crevice on the other side.
Sixth cavern[edit | edit source]
For the sixth puzzle room the first objective is to move east and enter the next room. A Yeti inside screams and the sound pushes you back to the starting point in the sixth room. Now, push the two blocks into the niches in the ledge along the north wall. (The blocks cannot be moved before the yeti's scream loosens them. If the player just keeps re-entering the yeti's room without putting the blocks in place, from the third consecutive try, players are prompted to push the blocks in room 6.) One solution to the room is this:
Players will end up at your starting point in the sixth room. Then exit back to the fifth room. (If you try to enter the seventh room directly, the Yeti there will still scream and force you back.)
Upper sixth and seventh caverns (and Woodcutting experience)[edit | edit source]
In the fifth room, go to the crevice in the north-east corner by moving north, west, north, then east. Go through the crevice, and enter the sixth room on an ice platform along the northern edge. The two blocks you pushed into place close gaps that you could not cross. Go east across the platform to the crevice in the eastern wall. South of the crevice are roots that can be cleared after the quest with level 80 Woodcutting, yielding 20,000 Woodcutting experience. Squeeze through the eastern crevice into the seventh room. Players will be on an ice platform north-west of the yeti.
Study the nearby wall. This unlocks the option to shout into the pipe. Shout into the pipe, and the yeti will faint.
Squeeze back through both crevices and go back to the final room (west, south-east, east). Simply walk east into the yeti room. Pick up the stones. Backtrack through all of the caves, or alternatively, right click and select 'exit-cave' on archway in any of the previous rooms.
Meeting the snow imps[edit | edit source]
When you head outside the cave, you will encounter three Snow imps: Marvin, Marius and Benny. They will reveal that the stones are actually yeti dung, and they planned to prank Explorer Jack. As you are not nearly as annoying as he was, however, the imps will enchant the "riches", turning them into enchanted stones, and they will now only defrost when given to someone else.
Wrapping up[edit | edit source]
Head back to Explorer Jack. Choose "carry on with the imps' prank" or "tell the truth about what the stones are". Both choices will yield the same results, eventually; they only affect how the conversation will continue.
If you go back to Explorer Jack after relogging, he will give you 5000 coins: your share of the money from selling the yeti dung to a witch. He also says he's been to the cave and "sliding is great fun. You should go back there sometime." Otherwise...
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points (or 1; depending on whether you finished Sheep Shearer/Witch's Potion before their demotion to miniquest)
- Antique lamp (500 experience)
- 5,000 coins (if you talk to Jack after logging out or speaking to Explorer Jack later on)
- Access to Land of Snow
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Additional rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2,000 Crafting experience requiring level 30 Crafting: Second cavern (see above)
- 10,000 Agility experience requiring level 55 Agility: Fourth cavern (see above)
- 20,000 Woodcutting experience requiring level 80 Woodcutting: Sixth cavern (see above)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Myths of the White Lands ( 0) – Complete this Novice quest.
- Caving into the Gains ( 5) – Claim the XP from the cave paintings and claim 5,000 coins from Explorer Jack in the Land of Snow.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Myths of the White Lands is not currently required for any quests or miniquests.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 22 June 2015 (Update):
- Some previously missing chat has been added to Myths of the White Lands.
- patch 12 July 2011 (Update):
- It is once again possible to use a chisel to clear a patch of wall in Myths of the White Lands.
- patch 1 February 2011 (Update):
- Lighting in the Myths of the White Lands snow area has been updated.
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- patch 9 November 2009 (Update):
- Included a little more info to the latter part of the Myths of the White Lands caverns.
- patch 2 September 2009 (Update):
- Firemaking no longer moves you around the ice in Myths of the White Lands.
- patch 8 April 2009 (Update):
- Code still around from the Christmas event wasn't needed for the Myths of the White Lands quest and has been removed.
- patch 17 March 2009 (Update):
- We have fixed an issue in the Myths of the White Lands quest when sliding around in a cutscene.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon the completion of this quest, one's Adventurer's Log will read: "The imps had been playing a prank on Explorer Jack all along! That should teach him a smelly lesson!"
- On the day the quest was released the spoilers read: The rewards are kept in an icy room, and we still haven't figured out how to get across it unscathed.
- During the 2008 Christmas event, you could ask one of the head snow imps to teleport you to the Land of Snow as opposed to Isidor.
- When the quest first came out it was marked as a members quest, though you could still do it as a non member. It was available to non members during the holiday; afterward it was restricted to members. Just like Swept Away, it was later made available to free players.
- Upon the releases of Task System, completing the quest has become one of the tasks for Lumbridge/Draynor.
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|