|Release||25 March 2020 (Update)|
|Location||Varrock Dig Site|
|Actions||• Interact (Tutorial only)|
• Manage powers
• Offer relic
|Examine||A mysterious monolith.|
|Object ID||? (edit)|
|doc • Talk page|
The mysterious monolith is an artefact found at the Varrock Dig Site. It was first mentioned in Archaeology Journal: Stormguard Citadel, in a page stolen from Guildmaster Tony's private journal. Movario has shown interest in the monolith, as his energy detector led him to it. In examining it, Guildmaster Tony determined that it was neither a prayer altar nor a summoning obelisk, though he could not figure out what it was for or when it was from.
On 25 March 2020, Zaros appeared as the culmination of pre-release teasers and activated the monolith. After it was activated, Guildmaster Tony used a black stone on the monolith which was given to him by Xephos. This caused Tony to get sucked up into the monolith, his fate currently unknown.
Using the shard of Zaros on the monolith causes some special dialogue.
Concept art of the Mysterious Monolith seems to link it to the Elder gods, specifically Wen. Due to this link, and Zaros' interest in it, it is possible that the monolith is one of the remaining Elder Artefacts, such as The Template, Codex or Hammer.
Relic powers[edit | edit source]
Various relic powers can be activated at the monolith. Before a power can be activated, the corresponding relic must be offered. The powers can then be activated, at a cost of chronotes. Each relic power uses a specific amount of monolith power, which is limited. The amount of this limit increases at higher Archaeology levels. There is also a limit of three powers total, regardless of the amount of power used.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Pre-release image of Guildmaster Tony examining the monolith.
Zaros raising the mysterious monolith and activating it.
Guildmaster Tony and Associate Reiniger examining the activated monolith.
Update history[edit | edit source]
25 March 2020 (
- Zaros appeared in a cutscene and raised the monolith, activating it.
18 March 2020 (
- Extra scaffolding was added around the monolith.
- As part of Archaeology pre-release teasers, Guildmaster Tony temporarily moved to the scaffolding with overhead dialogue.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):.
- Added examines to the newly reworked digsite area so that the world feels more lively.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Extra scaffolding was added around the monolith around the same time that other Archaeology pre-release teasers were added.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Archaeology Journal: Stormguard Citadel, written by Guildmaster Tony, RuneScape. "Oh blast, I think I hear Reiniger calling me. The sooner we’ve finished with this mysterious monolith, the sooner we can move on to some really exciting digs!"
- ^ Archaeology Journal: Infernal Source, written by Guildmaster Tony, RuneScape. "Still, I’m concerned by his interest in the Monolith. Why would a treasure-seeker like Movario be interested in an old rock like that? Could it be that his detector is working correctly after all?"
- ^ Guildmaster Tony, RuneScape. "I've ruled out both of those. No, no, whatever this is, it serves a quite different purpose. I just wish I knew what." Archaeology pre-release dialogue.
- ^ Guildmaster Tony, RuneScape. "What are you? You don't look Zarosian. Nor Saradomin era. But you're clearly something special. Something powerful! So what are you? The shrine of a forgotten god? A fragment of an ancient wonder? Hrmmm." Archaeology pre-release dialogue.