|Release||25 March 2020 (Update)|
|Location||Varrock Dig Site|
|Actions||• Manage powers|
• Offer relic
|Examine||A mysterious monolith.|
|doc • Talk page|
The mysterious monolith, or the Codex, is an Elder Artefact found at the Varrock Dig Site. It acts as a repository of knowledge and power. The monolith plays an important role in the Archaeology skill, as it is where relics are activated and selected. The mysterious monolith is identified with a monolith icon on the world map and minimap.
It was first mentioned by Jas during Sliske's Endgame and later in an Archaeology teaser, in a page from Guildmaster Tony's private journal. Movario has shown interest in the monolith, as his energy detector led him to it. In examining it, Guildmaster Tony determined that it was neither a prayer altar nor a summoning obelisk, though he could not figure out what it was for or when it was from.
History[edit | edit source]
The Codex is one of the Elder Artefacts left upon Gielinor by the Elder Gods. At some point during the Time of Colossi, prior to the First Age, a great dinosaur came upon the Codex and was infused with its power, turning it into a colossus, an animal demi-god. Raksha, the great dinosaur, would eventually be contained and transported to Orthen, the first Dragonkin city. It is here, whilst observing Raksha, where Kerapac would begin to witness visions of 'a circle flanked by two triangles', leading him to venture West to the mainland in order to search for the mysterious shape. It has since been confirmed that the 'circle flanked by two triangles' is the Codex, and that Kerapac was not successful in his attempt to find it.
Very little is known about the Codex and it currently resides at the same location from which Raksha emerged prior to the First Age. Whilst this may suggest that the monolith has never been relocated, it is unknown whether Loarnab, Zaros or Saradomin knew of it; or whether it played a key role throughout history - such as during the heights of Senntisten or Saranthium, which it is in the same location as.
On 25 March 2020, Zaros appeared as the culmination of pre-release teasers and activated the monolith. After it was activated, Guildmaster Tony used a black stone on the monolith which was provided to him by a mysterious individual named Xephos. This caused Tony to get sucked into the monolith, leaving his fate currently unknown.
The abilities of the Codex are not entirely known, however it seems to be capable of transferring power and knowledge akin to the Stone of Jas. It can also absorb objects of historic significance and provide powers inspired by the object in question.
For unknown reasons, the Codex produces shadow anima. Guthix used shadow anima sourced from the Codex along with regular anima from the Heart of Gielinor to bless an adventurer, causing them to become the World Guardian. Raksha became a shadow colossus for the same reason.
Relic powers[edit | edit source]
Various relic powers can be activated at the monolith. Before a power can be activated, the corresponding relic must be offered. The powers can then be activated, at a cost of chronotes. Each relic power uses a specific amount of monolith power, which is limited. The amount of this limit increases at higher Archaeology levels. There is also a limit of three powers total, regardless of the amount of power used.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A player powering up a tetracompass or offering a relic to the monolith.
Pre-release image of Guildmaster Tony examining the monolith.
Zaros raising the mysterious monolith and activating it.
Guildmaster Tony and Associate Reiniger examining the activated monolith.
Concept art of the Mysterious Monolith. This concept art seems to link it to Wen.
Update history[edit | edit source]
18 March 2020 (
- Extra scaffolding was added around the monolith.
- As part of Archaeology pre-release teasers, Guildmaster Tony temporarily moved to the scaffolding with overhead dialogue.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):
- Added examines to the newly reworked digsite area so that the world feels more lively.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Extra scaffolding was added around the monolith around the same time that other Archaeology pre-release teasers were added.
- Using the shard of Zaros on the monolith causes some special dialogue.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Zaros, "Raksha, the Shadow Colossus (miniquest)", RuneScape. "A handful of elder artefacts had been discarded by the Elder Gods. One of these was the Codex, a repository of both knowledge and power. When a great beast came across the strange monolith, it couldn't know what awaited."
- ^ Voice of Jas, "Sliske's Endgame", RuneScape. "[In response to: what are the other elder artefacts?] Tools. To shape creation. The Codex. The Template. The Needle. The Hammer. The others are known."
- ^ Archaeology Journal: Stormguard Citadel, written by Guildmaster Tony, RuneScape. "Oh blast, I think I hear Reiniger calling me. The sooner we’ve finished with this mysterious monolith, the sooner we can move on to some really exciting digs!"
- ^ Archaeology Journal: Infernal Source, written by Guildmaster Tony, RuneScape. "Still, I’m concerned by his interest in the Monolith. Why would a treasure-seeker like Movario be interested in an old rock like that? Could it be that his detector is working correctly after all?"
- ^ Guildmaster Tony, RuneScape. "I've ruled out both of those. No, no, whatever this is, it serves a quite different purpose. I just wish I knew what." Archaeology pre-release dialogue.
- ^ Guildmaster Tony, RuneScape. "What are you? You don't look Zarosian. Nor Saradomin era. But you're clearly something special. Something powerful! So what are you? The shrine of a forgotten god? A fragment of an ancient wonder? Hrmmm." Archaeology pre-release dialogue.
- ^ Zaros, "Raksha, the Shadow Colossus (miniquest)", RuneScape. "When a great beast came across the strange monolith, it couldn't know what awaited. It emerged from the Codex fundamentally changed. It was a colossus - an animal demigod. The ultimate apex predator. Unchallenged. [...] They called it Raksha."
- ^ Error calling CiteGeneral: parameters url and title must be specified.
Mod Jack. . Discord. 9 December 2020. "No, he [Kerapac] never learned where it is. That story is coming from Zaros."*
- ^ Guthix, "Azzanadra's Quest", RuneScape. ". I cannot leave this world, this beautiful world, unprotected. I must leave it with its shield, with its own guardian...I draw anima from the Heart of Gielinor itself and in turn I draw its shadow twin from the Codex."