|Release date||25 January 2016 (Update)|
|Gizmo type||Weapon, Armour, Tool|
|Has a mysterious effect...|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The perk was made to live up to its name of being mysterious. Jagex have not confirmed any theories of what that effect is or how the perk activates, though they have confirmed the effect is neutral, and isn't useful for high-level players.
When the perk activates, it gives a message in the chat box:
- ^ When triggered, the perk rolls 0 to 19 and compares this to your perk rank.
Sources[edit | edit source]
|Material||Rarity||Perk ranks with X materials|
|Standard gizmo||Ancient gizmo|
Ranks 5-6 are very rare, whereas 4 is uncommon. Ranks 2-3 are seen commonly.
Suggested gizmos[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Mysterious perk has been a hot discussion topic since its release, with players spending much time looking for its hidden purpose; some promising finders rewards up to a billion gold coins. When the perk was developed in 2016, the intention was to change its effect whenever the players were close to figuring out what it did. After Mod Moltare's departure, this design was not maintained. The perk's main effect has remained the same, as developed by Mod Rowley.
Various hints have been released over time to discourage players from finding the perk. Jagex claims its effect is boring and not worth looking for. In 2017, Mod Moltare made the following comment: "Those testing it: you may find it helpful to keep some screenshots with timestamps, for later reference." The validity of the comment was later questioned by Mod Moltare.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Contrary to popular belief, Mysterious does not randomise experience values.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ rswillmissit. Uncovering the Mysterious Perk. YouTube. 22 April 2021. "Mod Rowley: The categorisation sounds about right - that neutral, not negative."
- ^ Mod Moltare. Do we know what Mysterious Perk does?. reddit.com. 16 September 2016. (Archived from the original on 19 September 2018.) "Can confirm only that (a) it is not just an empty perk, and (b) it doesn't do anything that would lead top-end players to consider it mandatory for skilling, bossing or PvP."
- ^ RuneScape. mysterious perk :o. 21 July 2020. "Mod Orion: "If you have the Mysterious perk on your equipment and you go into the dungeon, it's like 500x more common. So, enjoy your free pet."" Significantly more likely to drop when the player has the Mysterious perk on one of their equipped items.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Moltare's Twitter account. 8 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 19 September 2018.) Mod Moltare: "I'm not going to tell you the in-game effect, but I can tell you that when it triggers (and it triggers under the same conditions as any other perk) it rolls a number between 0 and 19 and compares that to the rank you have the perk at."
- ^ RuneScape. mysterious perk. 4 October 2019. "Mod Osborne: "It's past the point of no return. It does something boring. We've built it up too much."" The exciting part is not knowing what it is.
- ^ Mod Moltare. Mysterious Perk: Tests Inconclusive. reddit.com. 12 April 2017. (Archived from the original on 19 September 2018.) "Those testing it: you may find it helpful to keep some screenshots with timestamps, for later reference."
- ^ rswillmissit. Uncovering the Mysterious Perk. YouTube. 22 April 2021. "Mod Moltare: I don't think I ever actually gave such a hint. I suspect I didn't deny it had something to do with timestamps and it was taken as confirmation that it did."