|Mountain Daughter (#73)|
|Release date||7 March 2005 (Update)|
|Official series||Fremennik #2|
|Start area||Fremennik Province|
|Combat||NPC combat level 30–39|
|Quest create ID||75|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
Years ago, a small tribe of people split off from the Fremennik in Rellekka and decided to inhabit the mountains to the east. There they lived as nomads for many years, but now the chieftain of the camp has lost his daughter and will not move on before she has been found.
Has she run away? Has she been eaten by trolls? Or is there something more sinister going on? Only you can find out.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to Hamal the Chieftain in the Mountain Camp east of Rellekka. Show on map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Medium to Long|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
Breaking into camp[edit | edit source]
Make your way to the area east of Rellekka and north of the golden tree. To get to that area, you can use the Fremennik Province lodestone and head east towards the mountain and then south, an enchanted lyre and head east, walk north from Seers' Village, use the fairy ring code AJR or a ring of slaying and then go north-west a bit, or, if your house is in Rellekka, teleport to your house and go east. Alternatively, after Love Story, one can make a Rellekka tablet to teleport outside of the house portal in Rellekka.
Start up the path to the Mountain Camp, just north of the musician, and attempt to climb over the rockslide. The guard says you are not welcome and does not allow you to pass. Go north, and climb the cliffside with a rope in your inventory. Interacting with the rockslide is not necessary to climb the cliffside.
Hamalsdotter[edit | edit source]
Follow the path into the village, enter the longhouse to the east, and speak to Hamal the Chieftain to begin the quest. Ask him why everyone is so hostile. Speaking of his tribe, Hamal tells you that they are citizens of Rellekka, although due to differences they have moved out to become closer to nature, disagreeing with the Fremennik tradition of choosing their tools over skill. The chieftain tells you about his missing daughter and after much arguing against "employing" an outerlander, he eventually allows you to search for her. From this point on, you can enter the camp by climbing over the rockslide.
Head south of Hamal's house, and take some mud from the bubbling mud pond. Select either Dig-below Roots or Dig-up Mud in the mud pond.
Go north of Hamal's house and pick up one plank and pole from the fenced pen. Do not pick up the broken pole by the lake, as it will not work.
Just north of the mountain goats is a notably large lake and a path leading east up to the lakeside; follow it and head west until you find Ragnar. He tells you that the chieftain's daughter, Asleif Hamalsdotter, is his fiancée. She used to sing near the mountains, but has since disappeared. Ragnar says that he is waiting patiently by the lake for her to return.
Crisis[edit | edit source]
Use the mud you gathered on the tall tree near Ragnar to prevent yourself from slipping (swamp tar also works in place of the mud).
Climb the tall tree, crawl along its branch, and jump down to the little island. Use your pole or staff on the clump of rocks to pole-vault over them, and then the plank to cross the flat stone. On one of the bubbles rising from the pool, select "Listen-to-shining pool". This only works when you're standing near the rock in the centre of the island.
Once you are on the island, Listen-to the Shining pool to the south to talk to the chieftain's daughter.
You hear the voice of the spirit of the chieftain's daughter, who is dead. She asks you to make peace between her tribe and Rellekka and to also find a new food source for the camp. Agree to help her. To return to shore, use a plank on the flat stone. You can do her two tasks in either order.
Making peace[edit | edit source]
Return to the Mountain Camp, and talk to Hamal the Chieftain. Ask about the people of Rellekka, and he tells you that he sent a villager named Svidi to initiate a simple trade route, but he hasn't yet returned. Teleport to Fremennik Province Lodestone (Alt + F). Locate and speak with Svidi. Svidi can be found roaming near the Rellekka log border, west of the Fremennik lodestone.
He will tell you he's afraid of the Fremennik in Rellekka and thinks that they might kill him. Select the persuade option and he will agree, if you can secure a promise from the chieftain that he will be safe.
Head to Rellekka, and talk to Brundt the Chieftain in the longhall. He will promise not to hurt Svidi if you can retrieve a relic — an ancient rock — that the Mountain Camp tribe stole from Rellekka long ago.
Return to the Mountain Camp, and enter the large tent south-west of Hamal the Chieftain. Use your pickaxe on the Ancient Rock located in the southern tent to get half a rock. Take this back to Rellekka, and talk to Brundt the Chieftain, who will agree to share the rock and give you the Safety guarantee.
Go and take the guarantee to Svidi to initiate peace talks between the two tribes.
The white pearl[edit | edit source]
Return again to the Mountain Camp, and speak with Hamal, then talk to Jokul, who is in the tent north of Hamal, looking after his goats. He thinks the members of the Mountain Camp could survive if the seed of a white pearl fruit, a hardy plant which can grow anywhere, were planted in the area.
The white pearl may be found on White Wolf Mountain. The fastest way to access White Wolf Mountain is by either teleporting to the Catherby or Burthorpe lodestone, and heading north to the peak or by teleporting to the Al Kharid lodestone and taking the gnome glider.
Using one of the methods above, travel to the slope beneath the peak and look for thorny bushes near the glider. Put on your gloves, pick a white pearl fruit off the thorny bushes and eat it. You will automatically spit out the white pearl seed. You must have talked to Jokul before being able to pick the fruit. If you are not wearing gloves, you will be hit for 40 damage. If you receive the message: "Ouch! You just stuck your hand into some very sharp thorns" and are wearing gloves, try a different pair of gloves.
After obtaining the seed, you can use the Fremennik Province lodestone to return to Rellekka and run south-east to the mountain camp.
Give the white pearl seed to Hamal, who accepts your solution for feeding the tribe.
The god, the daughter, and the burial[edit | edit source]
After you've completed both tasks, go back to the centre of the shining pool and "Listen-to" the Shining pool again. She asks you to convince her father that she is really dead. She was attacked by a creature and dragged off nearby to the north, where she was killed.
Attempt to jump across the flat stone (without the plank) and you will swim to the northern bank of the pool. Follow the path east to a cave blocked by dead trees. Chop down the ones that block your path with a hatchet until you reach a cave entrance.
Enter the cave and make your way to the large cavern. You find the Kendal as well as numerous corpses near a central pillar. Talk to the Kendal, and when it asks who you are, say "It's just me, no one special". Then say "You mean a sacrifice?" The Kendal tells you that it is the god of the northern lands.
Say that he actually looks like a man in a bearsuit, to which he finally admits. After you blow his cover, he also confesses to killing Asleif more than 10 years ago, although it was an accident. Humbly request her remains, to which he refuses as he cannot let anyone know his true identity.
Threaten to kill him and he'll attack you. He is level 32 combat, and all damage can be dramatically reduced if you use the Protect from Melee prayer. If you are using range or mage, you can find a safe spot around the skeletons to attack him.
Once he dies, a bearhead mask will appear in your inventory. Take the corpse of woman — Asleif — which lies in the south-east corner of the pillar and exit the cave. Cut your way back out of the dead trees, and head back to Hamal the Chieftain. Talk to him and tell him what you learned, and finally show him his daughter's corpse.
He asks you to give her a proper burial – by building a cairn on top of her grave, symbolising the longboats used to cross the seas – on the island at the centre of the pool along with some of her possessions. He tells you perhaps Ragnar has one of her possessions for you to use. Gather five muddy rocks from around the camp. They respawn quickly, so you can just stand on one until you have all five. See the map on the top for locations.
Follow the path up to Ragnar, and speak with him. He gives you Asleif's necklace, which he had intended to give her as a gift. Climb up the tall tree, pole-vault the clump of rocks, and use the plank on the flat stones to make your way back to the small island. Bury the corpse there; your character will immediately go to the designated burial location. Use the muddy rocks on the burial mound to create Asleif's burial cairn.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 2,000 experience
- 1,000 experience
- Bearhead (only requires partial completion)
- Access to the Mountain Camp without a rope (only requires partial completion)
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Mountain Daughter ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- Desert achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Mountain Daughter is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Aftermath (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Azzanadra's Quest
- Full comprehension of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Blood Runs Deep
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full comprehension of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full comprehension of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Full comprehension of Evil Dave's Big Day Out
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Full comprehension of Heart of Stone
- Full comprehension of Hero's Welcome
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles (miniquest)
- Mahjarrat Memories (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Missing, Presumed Death
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full comprehension of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Sins of the Father (miniquest)
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad (miniquest)
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- Twilight of the Gods
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Art & Graphics|
|Quality assurance||Keyvan B|
|Quest Help||Mod Mog|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 July 2020 (Update):
- Players will no longer continue the mining animation indefinitely when mining the ancient rock in the 'Mountain Daughter' quest.
- patch 11 March 2019 (Update):
- Augmented crystal hatchets can now be used to chop down the trees during the Mountain Daughter quest.
- patch 21 September 2011 (Update):
- patch 9 August 2011 (Update):
- patch 15 February 2011 (Update):
- A female NPC in the Mountain Daughter quest has had her chat head updated to match her hood.
- patch 6 May 2009 (Update):
- Added a plank in a specific location to aid with the progress of the Mountain Daughter quest.
- Updated some code in the Mountain Daughter quest, no visible functionality changes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When you first talk to Ragnar, he mentions Asleif singing into the shining pool, like "falling silver". This is a reference to Tolkien's "Song of Nimrodel" in which an Elvish maid becomes lost in the mountains.
- When you complete the quest, instead of hearing the normal quest complete music, the game plays Asleif's singing and you receive a message saying "You think you can hear a soft 'thank you' as the singing quietens down."
- When you first talk to the Kendal, he quotes the Cave of Wonders guardian from Aladdin, "Who dares disturb my slumber?"
- After receiving Asleif's necklace from Ragnar, if the player selects the "You've been waiting to give it to her all that time?" dialogue option, Ragnar will mention that he doesn't expect the player to understand, and that perhaps someday they will find their own love. If the player has proposed to either Princess Astrid or Prince Brand during the events of Throne of Miscellania, the player will mutter a line about already having a marriage lined up in response.
|Part 2 of the Fremennik quest series|