"Maw" redirects here. For the island in the Arc, see Whale's Maw
|This repeatable content has a soft reset.
|The next period's content will become available only once a player has logged out and in.
The Motherlode Maw is a dragonkin visage found in the Edimmu resource dungeon in the inner circle of the Meilyr Clan district of Prifddinas. Getting to the dungeon can be easily done via the Dungeoneering cape's perk, and players need level 115 Dungeoneering to enter (non-boostable).
Once inside, should a player have at least level 95 in all other skills, they may put their arm into the Maw and retrieve a random treasure once per day. Otherwise, they will receive a message stating the required levels to access the Maw. Rewards include a range of items, some of which can be useful in helping players complete requirements for the regular and trimmed completionist cape, as well as for the master quest cape.
Rewards received are weighted towards requirements which have not been completed by the player, but it is still possible to get items towards requirements that players have already met. Additionally, players may once per day exchange with Wythien 10 crystal motherlode shards for potential rewards similar to those given by the Maw. Players who have allocated 100 quest points to the Hub track of May's Quest Caravan also have a chance to roll a reward from the Motherlode Maw table upon opening a chest obtained from Meg.
A player reaches into the Motherlode Maw.
|Crystal chakram (m)||1||Rare||201,218||Not alchemisable|
|Off-hand crystal chakram (m)||1||Rare||185,509||Not alchemisable|
|Dragon arrow (m)||26–38||Rare||6,032-8,816||12,480-18,240|
|Dragon dart (m)||31||Rare||4,743||9,300|
|Off-hand dragon dart (m)||28–31||Rare||5,460-6,045||8,400-9,300|
|Crystal bow (m)||1||Rare||271,829||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal halberd (m)||1||Rare||269,369||Not alchemisable|
|Dragon 2h crossbow (m)||1||Rare||3,558,954||9,720|
|Dragon 2h sword (m)||1||Rare||132,863||132,000|
|Dragon battleaxe (m)||1||Rare||117,670||120,000|
|Dragon battlestaff (m)||1||Rare||314,433||120,000|
|Dragon claw (m)||1||Rare||64,144||40,500|
|Dragon hatchet (m)||1||Rare||2,617,271||33,000|
|Dragon longsword (m)||1||Rare||57,451||60,000|
|Dragon mace (m)||1||Rare||28,469||30,000|
|Dragon pickaxe (m)||1||Rare||2,238,912||75,000|
|Dragon scimitar (m)||1||Rare||59,046||60,000|
|Dragon throwing axe (m)||16–57||Rare||6,512-23,199||6,688-23,826|
|Off-hand dragon throwing axe (m)||25||Rare||4,900||10,450|
|Dragon warhammer (m)||1||Rare||119,152||120,000|
|Off-hand crystal dagger (m)||1||Rare||198,455||Not alchemisable|
|Off-hand dragon claw (m)||1||Rare||62,477||40,500|
|Off-hand dragon mace (m)||1||Rare||28,388||30,000|
|Off-hand dragon longsword (m)||1||Rare||57,139||60,000|
|Off-hand dragon scimitar (m)||1||Rare||87,312||60,000|
|Off-hand dragon warhammer (m)||1||Rare||27,989||30,000|
|Crystal deflector (m)||1||Rare||188,093||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal ward (m)||1||Rare||186,069||Not alchemisable|
|Dragon chainbody (m)||1||Rare||153,314||150,000|
|Dragon boots (m)||1||Rare||11,542||12,000|
|Dragon full helm (m)||1||Rare||894,570||90,000|
|Dragon platebody (m)||1||Rare||1,346,603||1,056,000|
|Dragon platelegs (m)||1||Rare||160,859||162,000|
|Dragon sq shield (m)||1||Rare||651,794||300,000|
|Dragon kiteshield (m)||1||Rare||328,877||330,000|
It is possible to receive a potion even if the player has not unlocked the ability to make that potion.
|Grand strength potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||27,752||900|
|Grand ranging potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||42,559||900|
|Grand magic potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||24,391||900|
|Grand attack potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||10,821||900|
|Grand defence potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||18,382||900|
|Super warmaster's potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||99,410||1,500|
|Wyrmfire potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Extreme battlemage's potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Extreme sharpshooter's potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Replenishment potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Supreme attack potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Supreme defence potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Supreme magic potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Supreme ranging potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Supreme strength potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Brightfire potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||1,800||1,800|
|Super prayer renewal potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||25,201||2,100|
|Holy overload potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||2,400||2,400|
|Searing overload potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||2,400||2,400|
|Perfect plus potion (6) (m)||1||Rare||2,400||2,400|
|Perfect juju woodcutting potion (4) (m)||1||Rare||57,815||Not alchemisable|
|Perfect juju farming potion (4) (m)||1||Rare||18,739||Not alchemisable|
|Perfect juju mining potion (4) (m)||1||Rare||43,056||Not alchemisable|
|Perfect juju smithing potion (4) (m)||1||Rare||46,670||Not alchemisable|
|Perfect juju agility potion (4) (m)||1||Rare||19,177||Not alchemisable|
|Perfect juju prayer potion (4) (m)||1||Rare||81,769||Not alchemisable|
|Perfect juju herblore potion (4) (m)||1||Rare||68,746||Not alchemisable|
|Perfect juju dungeoneering potion (4) (m)||1||Rare||5,069||Not alchemisable|
Receiving an impling jar from the Motherlode Maw does count as catching that type of impling for Daffyd's impling checklist. The pirate impling can be obtained even without completion of Rocking Out.
|Baby impling jar (m)||1||Rare||869||30|
|Young impling jar (m)||1||Rare||735||30|
|Gourmet impling jar (m)||1||Rare||2,237||30|
|Earth impling jar (m)||1||Rare||980||30|
|Essence impling jar (m)||1||Rare||1,685||30|
|Eclectic impling jar (m)||1||Rare||2,731||30|
|Spirit impling jar (m)||1||Rare||8,774||30|
|Nature impling jar (m)||1||Rare||3,742||30|
|Magpie impling jar (m)||1||Rare||13,300||30|
|Ninja impling jar (m)||1||Rare||17,389||30|
|Pirate impling jar (m)||1||Rare||194,359||30|
|Divine impling jar (m)||1||Rare||49,004||30|
|Dragon impling jar (m)||1||Rare||154,774||30|
|Zombie impling jar (m)||1||Rare||39,746||30|
|Kingly impling jar (m)||1||Rare||221,311||30|
|Crystal impling jar (m)||1||Rare||686,590||30|
|Kal'gerion battle commendation (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Kethsi ring (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Kethsi outfit scroll (m)||1||1/12000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Golden rock||1||Common||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Strange rock||1||Common||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Tooth half of a key (m)||1||Common||11,349||0|
|Loop half of a key (m)||1||Common||11,446||0|
|Crystal key (m)||1||Uncommon||22,928||0|
|Crystal triskelion (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1 (m)||1||Rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2 (m)||1||Rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3 (m)||1||Rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Starved ancient effigy (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Lucky dragonkin coin (m)||1||1/5000||11,317,508||Not alchemisable|
|Truthful shadow core (m)||10–29 (noted)||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Blissful shadow core (m)||10–28 (noted)||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Manifest shadow core (m)||12–29 (noted)||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Divine charge (m)||7–20||Uncommon||664,930-1,899,800||4,200-12,000|
|Ghostly essence (m)||5–20||Uncommon||28,415-113,660||300-1,200|
|Golden mystery egg (m)||1||Uncommon[d 2]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Harmonic dust (m)||30–400||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Hoardstalker ring (m)||1||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Magic notepaper||15–23||Uncommon||17,415-26,703||Not alchemisable|
|Ushabti (m)||2–5||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Dragon arrowheads (m)||72–100||Unknown||23,472-32,600||21,600-30,000|
|Thinker boots (m)||1||6/1700[d 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Thinker gloves (m)||1||6/1700[d 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Uncut onyx (m)||1||Very rare||2,266,914||1,080,000|
|Meilyr potion recipe (combination potions)||1||Common[d 4]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal armour seed (m)||1||Rare||6,091||0|
|Crystal tool seed (m)||1||Rare||72,033||0|
|Crystal weapon seed (m)||1||Rare||42,492||0|
- ^ a b c Triskelion fragments are dropped in order.
- ^ Not given if the player already has max aquarium prestige.
- ^ a b 6/20 chance to access the "Fallback" table, with 1/85 chance for this item.
- ^ Finds the recipe for the next combination potion recipe that the player had not yet found. If all recipes have been found, receiving this will instead automatically unlock the next recipe that had not yet been purchased.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to obtain duplicate Thinker outfit pieces from the Motherlode Maw.
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- Receiving a Nihil damage enhancer from the Motherload Maw will no longer refer to it as an unused enhancer.
- update 4 September 2017 (Update):
- We've gone through your feedback with a fine-toothed comb, and overhauled the comp-cape-chasing goodies that the Maw can spit out.
- See below to find out what you can get, what's become less likely to show up, and what's been removed entirely.
- Completionist Cape
- Memory strands
- Goebie charms
- Gift of the Reaper (grants 20 Reaper Points on use)
- Unstable air rune (grants 5000 Runespan points on use)
- Slayer VIP coupon (Grants a number or Slayer VIP tickets when used)
- Rare item tokens
- Shattered Worlds Anima
- Large Menaphite gift offerings
- Anima crystal (hand in to a faction leader at the Heart of Gielinor to earn reputation)
- XP-Related Items
- Protean packs
- XP-rewarding crystals
- D&D tokens (daily, weekly, monthly)
- Guthixian butterfly jars
- XP-boosting Dungeoneering wildcards
- Standard dragon trinkets (convertible to metallic dragon trinkets)
- Spirit onyx
- Hefin agility course multipliers
- Scrimshaw of Sacrifice
- Scrimshaw of Corruption
- Kal'gerion title scrolls
- Kethsi outfit scrolls
- Kethsi ring
- Ghostly essence
- Hoardstalker ring
- Harmonic dust
- Thinker boots
- Thinker gloves
- Magic note paper
- Impling chance has been lowered
- Juju and combination potion chance has been lowered
- Aquarium eggs will no longer be given at max prestige
- Crystal geodes
- Crystal-flecked sandstone
- Harmony moss
- There's also an all-new lore book to pick up from the nearby altar, revealing the origins of the Maw and the gemstone dragons.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- Players can no longer acquire more than five ancient effigies from the Motherlode Maw.
- ninja 19 January 2015 (Update):
- The Motherlode Maw rewards have been adjusted to replace the runite items, to make the rewards slightly more elf-like.
- patch 17 November 2014 (Update):
- The Motherlode Maw is now more likely to give potion recipes.
- The Motherlode Maw will no longer give strange rocks if the statue is already complete.
- Prior to the release of Invention, the Maw had required a total level of 2490 to access. This was later changed a little bit after Invention was released, then requiring a total level of 2585 to access the Maw. This was once again changed, in a hidden update on 5 June 2017 to require certain levels in individual skills.
- Air and fire runes can be used on the Motherlode Maw to get responses from it.
- Using an air rune on the Maw will give the player an ancient air rune with the text "The maw gives out a gust of wind, whatever was in there is now no longer present."
- Using a fire rune on the Maw will produce the text "The maw crackles with flame, as the night is dark and full of terrors..."
- Using a ring of kinship on the Maw will prompt a message saying: "The maw rejects the Ring of Kinship and rejects your offer to party. Don't you feel silly now?"
- The Motherlode Maw received a generous reward overhaul in a game update on 4 September 2017, as the result of an effort pioneered by Mod Meadows. The initiative to reform the Motherlode Maw's rewards was first announced to the community in a forum post by Mod Meadows on 25 May 2017, which contained numerous design suggestions and polls to gauge player feedback on the proposed reward changes.