Monster Examine, when cast on a monster, tells you the monster's combat level, current life points, maximum hit, and immunities, as well as whether the monster can be a slayer assignment. The results of the spell appear in the Magic spells and abilities tab.
Monster Examine may be used to identify the max melee hit of a monster. If a monster doesn't use melee attacks, and only attacks with ranged or magic (such as Dark Wizards), then it will display the monster's max hit with the attack style it uses. Monsters with more than one attack style (ex. melee and magic), may have two different maximum hit levels, one for each attack style, but only the melee maximum hit is displayed in the Monster Examine interface.
Curse spells that lower the target's damage output, such as Weaken and Enfeeble, do affect the maximum hit shown. However, this could be deceptive as the maximum hit does not go up like life points do even though the monster might have recovered from the spell, as long as you keep the Monster Examine interface open.
Monster Examine only works on Summoning familiars if they are "currently displaying its combat level" (e.g. in a PvP area). You can cast it on your own familiar.
Monster Examine does not work on dreadnips, the mobs in Shattered Worlds, Koschei The Deathless or Solus Dellagar in the Dominion Tower, demon bosses found in Demon Flash Mobs, the NPCs at the Battle of Lumbridge, Agoroth or Zogoth.
The first tab of the Monster Examine interface
The second tab of the Monster Examine spell
The third tab of the Monster Examine spell
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 3 June 2019 (Update):
- Monster Examine now gives experience and plays an animation each time it is cast.
- ninja 28 May 2019 (Update):.
- The Monster Examine spell has been significantly updated, you now only need to cast it once on a monster and it'll update their values throughout the time it is active, additionally the Monster Examine window is now in the minigame window allowing you to actively monitor it during your fights, Monster Examine now contains the following information
- Their hit chance vs you (This Value updates per attack)
- Your hit chance vs them (This Value updates per attack)
- Monster Lifepoints
- The Monster's Attack, Defence, Magic and Ranged levels
- The attack rate of the monster
- The Armour of the monster
- Your base hit chance against them with different styles (Also known as affinity)
- A number representing your accuracy against the monster
- Weakness (if any)
- If they're immune to Poison/Stun/Reflect
- Main attack style
- The monster's max standard hit against you
- If the monster is a slayer creature
- Monster Examine can be used on most of the NPCs in Ritual of the Mahjarrat, even your allies such as Sir Tiffy.
- When Monster Examine is cast on a target, it does its defending animation, but this does not initiate combat.
- If the target dies before you close the Monster Examine interface, the life points would read zero, but nothing else would be changed. It would remain zero even after it has respawned.
The historical interface for Monster Examine