Farming grimy fellstalk
can be a very profitable way to spend a few minutes at a time. To maximise profit, use the following items to maximise the crop yield:
- Magic secateurs from A Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains, which boosts yield 10%.
- Greenfingers aura, which boosts yield 3%, 5%, 7%, 10%, or 15% depending on tier.
- Juju farming potion from Herblore Habitat, which gives a 33% chance of picking double herbs, effectively increasing yield by 33%.
- Scroll of life, which gives a 10% chance of returning your seed after you've harvested it.
- The hard Wilderness Tasks will make the patch disease-free, increasing your overall profits.
Without these items, herb farming is much less profitable. One could expect about 6.8 herbs per patch and a 10% death rate, but with all of the above, an average of 9.8 herbs per patch can be achieved, or around 68.6 per run.
Items such as the Farmer's outfit and Falador shield 2 or higher will also increase experience gained. A Modified farmer's hat will also save sowed seeds 2% of the time and offers 3 free teleports to the Morytania allotment per day.
Start your run with 7 fellstalk seeds, 7 supercompost, transportation to get to all seven patches and whatever yield- and experience-boosting items you have. At each location, harvest any available herbs, note them with the tool leprechaun, compost the patch, and plant a new seed.
- If you've completed My Arm's Big Adventure, Teleport to Trollheim and use the agility shortcuts to the west. Continue through an area filled with aggressive trolls and into the stronghold. Run south through the stronghold, to a door, and then north to a ladder. Climb it to get to the patch. The Livid Farm spell Trollheim Teleport (Lunar) can also be used, but you must be on lunar spells. If the lunar teleport is not used, to ensure the juju farming potion lasts long enough it's recommended to start with this patch since running to it from the top of the Trollheim mountain takes a full minute.
- Use the cabbage port option on your Explorer's ring to teleport to the patch south of Falador .
- Empty the Ectophial to Port Phasmatys and run west.
- Teleport to Ardougne and run north-east, or use the Ardougne cloak teleport to get to the patch instantly.
- Teleport to Catherby lodestone and run northwest until you reach the patch north of Catherby.
- If you've completed Plague's End teleport to Prifddinas using Crystal teleport seed and selecting Crwys.
- If you have completed the Wilderness Tasks easy, teleport to the Wilderness Herb patch via the Wilderness sword 1 or higher. It is recommended that you bank any other herbs or valuables first, to reduce the value you are risking. The closest banks along the herb run are in Edgeville (easily accessible with the Wilderness sword's teleport option), Prifddinas (13 steps east from the herb patch), and Catherby (south of the herb patch). If you wish, you may bring a Demonic skull for increased experience gain, but this does not increase profit and increases your chance of death. If you do not have the Wilderness Sword, it may take several minutes to run to the herb patch. It is up to you whether this is worth the time investment.
- NOTE: The Wilderness Patch is located in level 38 Wilderness, and you will not be able to use conventional teleports to escape. You can use the Wilderness obelisk nearby to reach lower level Wilderness. Alternatively, run south to level 30 wilderness and escape via an Amulet of glory, a Ring of Wealth, a Combat bracelet, or a Saradominist/Zamorakian token. The Surge magic ability may also be useful in reaching a low enough level Wilderness and getting away from player killers.
From start to finish, this process takes about five minutes, and the new seeds you planted can be checked in 80 minutes. You could sell your herbs after each run, or wait a while and sell them.