|Role||Senior Content Developer|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Mod Stu is a senior content developer at Jagex and a member of the Lore Council. He was one of the first two content developers externally hired for the MechScape project in September 2006. From 2006 to 2012, Mod Stu developed content for MechScape and all iterations of Stellar Dawn and rose to a senior position. Of the content developers employed by Stellar Dawn at the time of its cancellation, only Mod Stu and Mod Liam retained their roles and moved to the RuneScape Content Development Team.
Mod Stu's first significant RuneScape update was the Fish Flingers rework on 6 June 2012, followed by a number of well-received quests. After a restructure of the content development team from waterfall methodology to agile/SCRUM teams, Mod Stu was assigned to the Funnel team from 2013 to 2014 and later joined the Guardians retention team for 2015-2016.
In March 2018, shortly after releasing Tutorial Island (Beneath Cursed Tides), Mod Stu moved to the Four Direction engagement/retention team (Jack, Tomb, Doctor, Shogun and Breezy) to take over Mining from Mod Deg in the Mining and Smithing rework. He appeared in Game Jam (October 2018), where he worked on improvements to the quest system, the replacement of the path tutorial with achievement paths, the removal of some unnecessary quest requirements, and a clean up of the Taverley/Burthorpe area (design).
In February 2019, after contributing to the design for the Completionist cape rework, Stu moved to the RuneScape Mobile team for a few months to complete his work on the beginner user experience, which became the Burthorpe/Taverley paths and rework. This released as part of a large Mobile update in September, during which, in the latest development team restructure, Stu became part of the Core Experience team (which includes Runescape Mobile).
Mod Stu is most known for hosting the six-month-hunt for TzHaar-Ga'al-Kot after the release of The Brink of Extinction. He is also known for having hosted a 14-hour livestream from Jagex headquarters, which included (amongst other things) a developer commentary playthrough of The Death of Chivalry.
Contributions[edit | edit source]
- Fish Flingers (rework)
- The Brink of Extinction and Fight Cauldron
- The Death of Chivalry
- Daemonheim Achievement Diary
- Ashdale tutorial
- Various Path System and new player experience improvements
- Burthorpe town square update
- A Shadow over Ashdale (with Ollie)
- Demon Slayer (third rework)
- Plague's End (with John A)
- Prifddinas (with Mods Raven, Rowley, and Wilson)
- Dimension of Disaster (with Mods Rowley and Doctor)
- Adamant and rune dragons
- The Drop Big Cats Edition
- The Lord of Vampyrium (with Mods Rowley and Ollo)
- Invasion of Falador & city graphical update
- Invention (with Ollo)
- The Lost Toys and In Memory of the Myreque
- River of Blood (with Mods Rowley and Orion)
- Invasion of Port Sarim and graphical update (with Rowley)
- The Arc (with Mod Rowley and others)
- Halloween 2016 (Invention of Disaster)
- Sliske's Endgame (with Mods Raven and Wilson)
- Memorial to Guthix (with Mods Orion and Chaplain)
- Game Jam (2017)
- Shield of Arrav (rework)
- Heroes' Quest (improvement project)
- Imp Catcher (rework)
- Shattered Worlds (with Mods Tomb and others)
- Achievements (with Mods Doctor and Asherz)
- Countless ninja fixes, quest and, funnel improvements
- Free-to-play improvements, including free-to-play Fletching, area expansion, drop table off-hands, and craftable armour
- Tutorial Island II: Isle Hard with a Vengeance (with Mod Doctor)
- Game Jam (April 2018) including achievement path first-time-user-experience
- Lumbridge Combat Academy update
- F2P Player Owned House and achievement path onboarding
- Game Jam (October 2018) including Burthorpe and Taverley re-design
- Mining & Smithing rework (with Mods Jack, Tomb, Doctor, Shogun, and Breezy)
- Quest system restructure (including While Guthix Sleeps and Children of Mah improvements)
- Completionist cape rework (design)
- Added Miniquests to the Quest List (with Mod Doctor)
- Burthorpe/Taverley Decluttering and Achievement Paths (with Mods Pi, Sova, and Asherz)
- Challenge System Rework (with Mod Shogun)
- Content Recommendation System
- Mainland Context Sensitive Tutorials
- Archaeology additional dialogue (Kharid-Et and Warforge)
- Achievement engine data (with Mod Asherz)
- Tutorial Island II patches (with Mod Daze and Mod Sova)
- Davendale mobile tutorial (with Mod Daze and Mod Sova)
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Mod Shauny. "Meet the Ninjas!." 12 July 2017. Ninja Team Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 20 March 2018. (Archived from the original on 30 October 2019.) Mod Stu: "Actually I'll be joining Four Direction to help with the Mining & Smithing rework. (Once I finish up some Growth projects, like fixing the combat academy.) It'll get me back into the engagement team, though (something Joe was keen on) - so yeah, hopefully in the future after M&S."
- ^ a b c d Mod Jon. "Questival AMA on Reddit Today!." 18 March 2015. Community Home Forums.