|Role||Senior Content Developer|
Mod Stu is a senior content developer at Jagex and a member of the Lore Council. He was one of the first two content developers externally hired for the MechScape project in September 2006. From 2006 to 2012, Mod Stu developed content for MechScape and all iterations of Stellar Dawn and rose to a senior position. Of the content developers employed by Stellar Dawn at the time of its cancellation, only Mod Stu and Mod Liam retained their roles and moved to the RuneScape Content Development Team.
Mod Stu's first significant RuneScape update was the Fish Flingers rework on 6 June 2012, followed by a number of well-received quests. After a restructure of the content development team from waterfall methodology to agile/SCRUM teams, Mod Stu was assigned to the Funnel team from 2013 to 2014 and later joined the Guardians retention team for 2015-2016.
In March 2018, shortly after releasing Tutorial Island (Beneath Cursed Tides), Mod Stu moved to the Four Direction engagement/retention team (Jack, Tomb, Doctor, Shogun and Breezy) to take over Mining from Mod Deg in the Mining and Smithing rework. He appeared in Game Jam (October 2018), where he worked on improvements to the quest system, the replacement of the path tutorial with achievement paths, the removal of some unnecessary quest requirements, and a clean up of the Taverley/Burthorpe area (design).
In February 2019, after contributing to the design for the Completionist cape rework, Stu moved to the RuneScape Mobile team for a few months to complete his work on the beginner user experience, which became the Burthorpe/Taverley paths and rework. This released as part of a large Mobile update in September, during which, in the latest development team restructure, Stu became part of the Core Experience team (which included RuneScape Mobile), and developed the Davendale tutorial for RuneScape Mobile's full commercial launch.
At the beginning of 2022, CXP was absorbed in a team restructure, and Mod Stu returned to the episodic content team, where he joined the Phoenix Gang.
In April 2023, the two Phoenix Gang and Black Arm Gang episodic teams were split into 6 smaller episodic project teams, and Mod Stu joined Episodic Team 4 (the Velocity Raptors), with developers Mod Ramen, Mod Redd and Mod Mickey, and QA Mod Leebleh.
Mod Stu is most known for hosting the six-month-hunt for TzHaar-Ga'al-Kot after the release of The Brink of Extinction. He is also known for having hosted a 14-hour livestream from Jagex headquarters, which included (amongst other things) a developer commentary playthrough of The Death of Chivalry, and for frequently editing his RSWiki page.
Roles[edit | edit source]
|Content Developer||2006 - 2011|
|Senior Content Developer||2011 - Present|
Contributions[edit | edit source]
- The Death of Chivalry
- Daemonheim Achievement Diary
- Ashdale tutorial
- Various Path System and new player experience improvements
- Burthorpe town square update
- A Shadow over Ashdale (with Ollie)
- Basic Challenges & Adventurer/Skiller/Combatant Paths (with Ollie)
- Demon Slayer (third rework)
- Plague's End (with John A)
- Prifddinas (with Mods Raven, Rowley, and Wilson)
- Dimension of Disaster (with Mods Rowley and Doctor)
- Adamant and rune dragons
- The Drop Big Cats Edition
- The Lord of Vampyrium (with Mods Rowley and Ollo)
- Invasion of Falador & city graphical update
- Invention (with Mods Ollo, Rowley)
- The Lost Toys (miniquest) and In Memory of the Myreque (miniquest)
- River of Blood (with Mods Rowley and Orion)
- Invasion of Port Sarim and graphical update (with Rowley)
- The Arc (with Mod Rowley and others)
- Halloween 2016 (Invention of Disaster)
- Sliske's Endgame (with Mods Raven and Wilson)
- Memorial to Guthix (with Mods Orion and Chaplain)
- Game Jam (2017)
- Shield of Arrav (rework)
- Heroes' Quest (improvement project)
- Imp Catcher (rework)
- Shattered Worlds (with Mods Tomb and others)
- Achievements (with Mods Doctor and Asherz)
- Countless ninja fixes, quest and, funnel improvements
- Free-to-play improvements, including free-to-play Fletching, area expansion, drop table off-hands, and craftable armour
- Tutorial Island II: Isle Hard with a Vengeance (with Mod Doctor)
- Game Jam (April 2018) including achievement path first-time-user-experience
- Lumbridge Combat Academy update
- F2P Player Owned House and achievement path onboarding
- Game Jam (October 2018) including Burthorpe and Taverley re-design
- Mining & Smithing rework (with Mods Jack, Tomb, Doctor, Shogun, and Breezy)
- Quest system restructure (including While Guthix Sleeps and Children of Mah improvements)
- Completionist cape rework (design)
- Added Miniquests to the Quest List (with Mod Doctor)
- Burthorpe/Taverley Decluttering and Achievement Paths (with Mods Pi, Sova, and Asherz)
- Challenge System (2019 rework, with Mod Shogun)
- Content Recommendation System
- Mainland Context Sensitive Tutorials
- Archaeology additional dialogue (Kharid-Et and Warforge)
- Stutorial #1: Classic Tutorial Island
- Stutorial #2: Tutorial Island Old vs New
- Stutorial #3: Learning the Ropes Part I
- Stutorial #4: Learning the Ropes Part II
- Stutorial #5: Unstable Foundations Part I
- Stutorial #6: Unstable Foundations Part II
- Stutorial #7: Lumbridge Introductory Tasks Part I
- Stutorial #8: Lumbridge Introductory Tasks Part II
- Stutorial #9: Troll Warzone Part I (with Mod Jack)
- Stutorial #10: Troll Warzone Part II (with Mod Jack)
- Stutorial #11: Troll Warzone Part III (with Mod Jack)
- Achievement engine data (with Mod Asherz)
- Tutorial Island II patches (with Mod Daze and Mod Sova)
- Davendale mobile tutorial (with Mod Daze and Mod Sova)
- Stutorial #12: Ashdale Tutorial
- Stutorial #13: Davendale Tutorial
- Sir Owen dialogue following the Battle of the Monolith describing events of the unreleased The Death of Chivalry sequel
- Challenge System (2021 rework) (with Mod Daze)
- World Map Ninja Strike (Feb 2022) (with Mod Abe and Mod Hunter)
- Elder God Wars - Prehistoric Potterington's 'Accidental' Fletching & Firemaking Training Stations (May 2022) (with Mod Abe)
- Scattershot Mobile Ninja Strike (July 2022) (with Mod Abe and Mod Shrike)
- Legacy of Zamorak - Daughter of Chaos (Aug 2022) (supporting Mod Zura)
- My October game jam patches (Oct 2022) (Timeline sort and difficulty reclassifications; simplified Wandering Ga'al reqs)
- Legacy of Zamorak - Succession (Dec 2022) + a ninja strike's worth of patches (with Mod Raven (feature lead), Mod Zura, Mod Asherz)
- The rest of my October & December 2022 game jam patches (February 2023) (Icthlarin's Little Helper quest improvement project; rewrite of Quest List filtering options)
- RuneScape Short: Feb Game Jam release
- Fort Forinthry - Murder on the Border (March 2023) (with Mod Zura (feature lead) and Mod Abe)
- RuneScape Short: Unsolved Mysteries of Murder on the Border
- Options for Pures mini-strike (March 2023) - added XP blocking and minor skill resets to Nastroth
- Fort Forinthry - Dead and Buried (July 2023) (with Mod Ramen (feature lead), Mod Redd and Mod Mickey)
- Game Jam (September 2023)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Media appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Mod Shauny. "Meet the Ninjas!." 12 July 2017. Ninja Team Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 20 March 2018. (Archived from the original on 30 October 2019.) Mod Stu: "Actually I'll be joining Four Direction to help with the Mining & Smithing rework. (Once I finish up some Growth projects, like fixing the combat academy.) It'll get me back into the engagement team, though (something Joe was keen on) - so yeah, hopefully in the future after M&S."
- ^ a b c d Mod Jon. "Questival AMA on Reddit Today!." 18 March 2015. Community Home Forums.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 2023-09-18. (Archived from the original on 2023-09-19.) Mod Stu: "Pleased with the results from my first day of game jam.
1) Updated portal to Erebus in Extinction quest
2) Added option in Senntisten's cathedral to replay 2021's weekly overhead god dialogue
(Usual disclaimer that game jam projects aren't guaranteed to release and have no ETA)"
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 2023-09-18. (Archived from the original on 2023-09-19.) Mod Stu: "Bonus video because lightning pretty."