Mine carts are a system of transportation often used to travel to and from the dwarven capital, Keldagrim. Players must have started The Giant Dwarf quest to use this travel method. Apart from by travelling up the River Kelda by speaking to the dwarven boatman or using the Dorgesh-Kaan–Keldagrim Train System, it is the only way to enter Keldagrim directly.
The Keldagrim Carts hub station is in the south-east corner of Keldagrim, near the blast furnace factory. From here it is possible to travel to and from all of the stations, whereas others may only may take the player directly to Keldagrim.
Mine carts are some of the dwarves' most advanced technology. Powered by the somewhat recently-discovered steam engine technology of the dwarves, the carts can travel over long underground distances very quickly. While originally designed to carry ore to and from the city, the carts are also capable of transporting dwarves and humans.
The mine cart system offers three routes to travel to places across Gielinor.
- Route 1. Keldagrim to White Wolf Mountain (East end of tunnel under the mountain; requires Fishing Contest and The Giant Dwarf)
- Route 2. Keldagrim to Ice Mountain (North-west corner of Dwarven Mines)
- Route 3: Keldagrim to the Grand Exchange. (Hidden trapdoor)
All of the travel services offered by the mine carts are free of charge. The Dorgesh-Kaan Keldagrim Train System unlocked during the Another Slice of H.A.M. quest also docks in the Keldagrim hub and is essentially a mass-transit version of the minecarts that connects to Dorgesh-Kaan. However, it functions somewhat differently and is usually considered a separate mode of transport.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Previously, the Cart conductors charged a small fee (100 to 150 coins, halved while wearing a Ring of Charos (a)) to travel using the mine cart system, but with the update of 9 September 2009, and the addition of the quest Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf, travelling using the mine carts has become free as a "business promotion" by the city. The transportation service to the Grand Exchange was also added with this update, accessible through the Grand Exchange trapdoor that had formerly been a subject of much debate. Previously, the White Wolf Mountain-Keldagrim route did not require completion of The Giant Dwarf.
- When two players are traveling to Keldagrim at the same time (i.e. they are both at Keldagrim already), it will appear as if the other player is gliding on air.